Portable VCD players?

Fyvve

Website
Visit site
Im looking for a portable VCD player. You know like one of those DVD players with the built in screens. I wondered if there was anything out there that only played VCDs and not DVDs. If you know of a maker\model i would appreciate the info. Thanks in advance.

there are lots on ebay at the moment (no screens (i think that the playstation screens will work for it which cost round about £10)) for about £30. ive just ordered one and i really need to get round to paying before i get a non payer thingy.

in fact i just paid for it so ill post comments on the quality of it when it gets here.

i was thinking about the portable dvd players but this plus a screen is half the price

This is probably not advertised as much, but the battery life of a portable DVD player sucks. So much as you'll get two hours battery life before the thing dies. So on a plane for example you get to watch one movie and then thats it. (Unless you have another battery). [Kind of reminds me of the Gamegear]

For what its worth cheap small laptops with DVD drives are coming down in price all the time, and especially on long flights you have the right power connections this is defintely worth a look at. Plus, you get a million miles more functionality...

Liksang sell portable VCD, MP3 units not much bigger than a discman. Also play JPeg files as well (so if you have a digital camera it can act as a mobile home projection unit). Hope this helps everybody going down this road...

I have one a discman type thing that plays vcds no screen though.It's made by arianet and is the worst piece of shit I've ever wasted my money on.And that really is saying something as I used to own an atari jaguar.

Battery life is a joke. The little flat shaped nicads that came with it last literally minutes and normal batteries won't fit in the bastard thing!

Then theres the matter of how picky the bloody thing is. VCDs have to be mastered exactly to standard 224k audio and everything.When vcd standard includes several possible audio rates down to 96k.

And dont even dream of using TMPGenc to encode your files as this seems to cause some sort of error and the playback skips constantly.Instead I have had to use xing mpeg encoder which produces terrible quality files but gives smooth playback.

Oh by the way it also plays mp3s as long as you put them all in the root directory with no sub folders alowed.

I would be very carefull of these things and try and find one by a better known brand. NAPA make lots of different models if you can find a supplier they may be ok but can't comment as I bought this piece of crap instead.

The only use I get from it is putting some kids stuff on cdr and playing it using a mains adapter when we go on holiday.

On the plus side you do get a remote and to be fair the player does have some nice features zoom, and it will even scan a disc and produce a dvd chapters like menu for accessing your films even if none exist on the disc.

The Dcp (DreamCast Portable) was available to buy and has great vcd play back, As i remeber. The problem is,Unfortuntley its illegal and disrespectfull to Sega. Which is stupid if you ask me as they are doing work for them and its better than the original.

treamcast if i am correct :p

treamcast.jpg

Back