Port Requests

Yeah I'd recommend focusing on j4-dmenu-desktop. From what I understand, i3-dmenu-desktop was a script, and j4-dmenu-desktop is a compiled binary, and it is a lot faster.

To compile, launch codeblocks CLI and attempt to follow the instructions from the site:

1. Clone the repo.
2. Build using:
Code:
cmake .
make
3. Maybe see if you can test it out before installing.

As far as usage/testing goes, the github for j4-dmenu-desktop seems to have good instructions. Its looks like j4-dmenu-desktop replaces the dmenu_run script.

So, since you don't have the dmenu binary that you compiled installed system-wide yet, it seems you should be able to test combining the two without installing dmenu and without installing j4-dmenu-desktop by doing something along the following lines:

4. Add both dmenu and j4-dmenu-desktop binaries to your current PATH:
Code:
export PATH=/folder/containing/dmenu/binary/:/folder/containing/j4-dmenu-desktop/binary/:$PATH

5. Now that it is on your PATH, you should be able to invoke j4-dmenu-desktop, which should itself invoke dmenu:
Code:
j4-dmenu-desktop [--dmenu="dmenu -i"] [--term="terminal"]

If the build seems to work, you can install to NAND:
Code:
install

Since you should usually avoid installing to your NAND, but instead should usually install into a specific directory (i.e.your PND directory you are putting together) then you should be able to modify the call to cmake (step 2) in order to specify a directory for the program to be installed to:

Code:
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/specify/an/installation/location/here/ .
make

Then running "install" should install your binaries to the directory you specified.

Last edited:
Hi all :)

Could someone please have a look at a recent video player for the Pandora ?

Here are some well-known candidates:

MPlayer
SMPlayer
Xine ?
GNOME Videos / Totem / GStreamer
VLC
FFPlay
Apprentice Video
Banshee

I gave FFPlay a try some days ago, but couldn't play anything (it seemed to conflict with @ptitSeb 's beta Code::Blocks libraries...)

EDIT: and could such an application make some use of our C64 DSP, like this package by @hdonk ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

I use panplayer2, works great for me

Kodi works well on my Rebirth and 1Ghz unit. I mostly use Universal Media Server on my Desktop with a special config to transcode it down to 800x480. Allowing me to stream any video I want to the Pandora.

Yeah I'd recommend focusing on j4-dmenu-desktop. From what I understand, i3-dmenu-desktop was a script, and j4-dmenu-desktop is a compiled binary, and it is a lot faster.

Okay, followed your instructions. Got it to build okay. can invoke it but even with the path environment set it will not launch my compiled binary of dmenu. Just sits there. I figure it has to do with
Code:
PATH=$(pwd):$PATH ./dmenu_run

can I add that to my export path statement with a : ?

Well, I don't think that would change much. The pwd in that statement simply says "add the directory I am currently in to the path", which is replaced in my instructions by manually typing out the path to the dmenu executable.

I would think there is something else going wrong. Not sure what at the moment. Maybe try running the --help argument and see if there is a way to get more verbose output.
[doublepost=1470341355,1470340302][/doublepost]However, now that I think about it, maybe it would not hurt to try launching dmenu first by using that command (if you are not sitting in the dmenu directory, the PATH=$(pwd):$PATH portion of the command will not work correctly, per my last post).

Maybe the way it works is that you need to have ./dmenu_run going first, and then j4-dmenu-desktop simply adds additional executables to that open instance of dmenu. Not quite sure, but worth a shot.

This option may also get a more verbose output:

Code:
--usage-log=<file>
[doublepost=1470342277,1470341749][/doublepost]Just to warn you, I'm looking around a bit more, and what I'm seeing labels j4-dmenu-desktop as a wrapper around dmenu, and it seems you should not need to launch ./dmenu_run.

In this video, you can see the user commented out the portion of the script that launched ./dmenu_run and replaced it with i3-dmenu-desktop or j4-dmenu-desktop:

[doublepost=1470343289][/doublepost]Hmm also, I probably messed up. I don't think I should have left in those square brackets in the command I gave you. Honestly I don't know what effect that might have. Retry step 4 and 5 as follows:

4. Add both dmenu and j4-dmenu-desktop binaries to your current PATH:
Code:
export PATH=/folder/containing/dmenu/binary/:/folder/containing/j4-dmenu-desktop/binary/:$PATH

5. Now that it is on your PATH, you should be able to invoke j4-dmenu-desktop, which should itself invoke dmenu:
Code:
j4-dmenu-desktop --dmenu="dmenu -i" --term="terminal"
[doublepost=1470353313][/doublepost]Well, I briefly tried following the instructions on a desktop, and it worked fine with or without the square brackets. Not quite sure what could be going on. I need to find my SD card with codeblocks on it so I can try on the Pandora.

@directive0

Okay so I've gotten it working on my end. I followed your and ptitSeb's instructions to compile dmenu, and found that dmenu won't launch from within codeblocks, but works fine outside of it.

I was able to compile j4-dmenu-desktop just fine, but it needs to use some libs from the codeblocks PND. Since dmenu needs to be launched outside of codeblocks, those libs need to be copied from the codeblocks PND.

Here's how:

After building dmenu and j4-dmenu-desktop in codeblocks CLI, create a folder for your libs and run the provided copy script:

Code:
mkdir /media/yourcardhere/path/to/libs/
cd /media/yourcardhere/path/to/libs/
copy_libs.sh /path/to/executable/j4-dmenu-desktop

Now exit codeblocks CLI and open a new terminal. Execute the following command to add the copied libs to your search path for the current session:

Code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/media/yourcardhere/path/to/libs/:/lib:/usr/lib

Then do steps 4 and 5 from the last post in this terminal and everything should work this time...

If it works, the libs, scripts, and executables can all be packaged into a PND!

Kodi works well on my Rebirth and 1Ghz unit. I mostly use Universal Media Server on my Desktop with a special config to transcode it down to 800x480. Allowing me to stream any video I want to the Pandora.

I am very interested in this as well, can you share how you have set it up and what you used?

I am very interested in this as well, can you share how you have set it up and what you used?
I think the setup is similar on other platforms, but this is how I have it setup on my Linux media server.

First I got the program here, it's pretty much just an unzip and use. you may need to install some codecs and such for decoding : http://www.universalmediaserver.com/
There is some setup in the gui, like server name and adding the video folders you wanted to share. Once UMS is started you can go into Kodi, go to Videos and Files, then there is an option to add videos. Click browse and then select UPnP devices, if everything works well it should show the UMS server and just select the share you want. Then on UMS it will show a Kodi device, if you left click on it, it will give you an option to edit the configuration, click on the add box, should have a hover comment of "Customize this device". I've given my Pandori static IPs so I won't have to make a new configuration every time my IP address changes.

For my rebirth Pandora with USB Ethernet I use this configuration.

Device = 192.168.0.22
TranscodeVideo = MPEGPS-MPEG2-AC3
MaxVideoWidth = 800
MaxVideoHeight = 480
MaxVideoBitrateMbps = 50

For USB Wifi I use the same but change the bitrate:

MaxVideoBitrateMbps = 20

For Internal I'd say 5 or so may be it, who knows you may get lucky.

Also if you need to edit the config file later you can use the UMS gui or they are saved in the ~/.config/UMS/renderers directory.

When in Kodi, you basically navigate to the folder where your videos are, just clicking on the video file won't get you what you want, it will attempt to play it without Transcoding and if it's an HD video you may lock up Kodi. So what you need to do is click on the item in the directory called #TRANSCODE#, then click on the video you want to play, then it will give you a menu of rendering options, if it's a multi-language mkv or ogm it will allow you to select language or subtitle preferences. If you have more than one decoder installed it will give you all those options per decoder, however I found FFmpeg is really the only good one for Pandora play and I disabled the other ones in the UMS settings so it won't clutter that menu.

Last edited:
Now that it is on your PATH, you should be able to invoke j4-dmenu-desktop, which should itself invoke dmenu:

Holy crap it actually works. Wow. No wonder you guys do this. I know you all basically spoon fed me the process and without you all I would have never gotten to this point, but there is something magical about all the pieces fitting and the program -which was never intended for this device- running as expected. Awesome!

Okay. So this is great. Now I can start editing the necessary files to package a PND. I'll start doing that and making an icon and everything. If I manage to get all this together can I upload it to the repo or is that bad form considering really none of the work is mine? Whats the protocol here?

I don't know the etiquette yet either, but I think it just depends whether or not you'd like to be the maintainer. You can collect as many ideas from as may people, just try to be responsive when it comes to suggestions or requests.

I have some ideas for install scripts that I might send you, but haven't really started working on them yet. I was thinking that to keep dmenu fast, but not on NAND you'd want to mount the PND once at startup (using grep probably. @ptitSeb has PND search and mount examples that he uses with wxPython) and add the binaries to the PATH globally (something like this). A nice installation script could be included with the PND to set this all up for the user. This could be optional, as the user could just mount the PND and use the binaries however they like.

The only stuff that would go on NAND would be the mount script and the path modification script. Binaries and libs stay in the PND, and you could add a folder in the appdata for custom user scripts. Then keyboard shortcuts and such can be added however the user would like, and they can just use the many resources that already exist online for dmenu launch scripts or keybindings. It should be able to act almost identical to how dmenu works when installed from a package manager if it is done correctly.

The only thing I'm having trouble with is dmenu's cache. I can't find it, and I want to make sure it doesn't go to NAND. Supposedly, it should be saved to $XDG_CACHE_HOME. However, I exported this prior to running and still didn't see it get created.

Godot could do with an updated version and the below still stands (I did try to make it work myself, didn't get very far... :S)

PKHex -> Pokemon save editor (Can facilitate "trades" by exporting the pokemon and then importing into later gen game)

https://github.com/kwsch/PKHeX

I think it's written in C# and supposedly can run on mono.

Back