Port Request : Guru Logic Champs

BAFelton

Website
www.open-consoles.com

IPrice, congratulations for all the work you've done and your victory at DBCC.

If you find some time, could you port Guru Logic Champs to the Pandora ?

Some people need to (re)discover this great and fun game.

Thanks ! :)

I have "ported" (it required a lot more work than a straight port) Guru Logic Champs already. It just doesn't run as smoothly or fast on the Pandora as the Caanoo and Wiz, so I never released it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The screen size is a quarter of the size of the Pandora's - a lot of CPU time is used displaying stuff. It's also not fully optimized and there are a couple of cosmetic issues, but it works. The game is playable, however users of previous versions will notice the decrease in speed. It runs at approx. 45fps compared to smooth 60fps on other machines.

I've attached a NON-.PND version. You can run it (after unzipping) by double clicking on the pandora_exe.pnd within the main folder.

Remember this is a WIP, although hasn't been touched for months and I just haven't got time at the moment to do anything more with it. I will sort things out and put it into a proper .PND, but not at the moment.

Pandora_Guru_Logic.zip

Attachments

• Pandora_Guru_Logic.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 184
I'm using a CC system at 800MHz and I wasn't totally happy. As I said there are still some cosmetic issues too.

I look forward to seeing the vid :)

Yeah, it was for the Spanish Wiz game making competition a couple of years ago. It came 2nd, behind a game that had been in development for a few years IIRC. Not bad going :)

Is the game SDL based? if so you could render the game at 400x240 or 320x240 and scale it up with Notaz's SDL.

Is the game SDL based?
No. I can already scale up from the original screensize, but it looks crap. I had to rescale everything (and/or redraw most of it).

I can't see the video (I'm at work) BAFelton, but thanks for doing and showing it :)

[EDIT] Watched it now. Cheers :wub: :p

Just had a look at your Guru micro-site and it's good. I never released a FULL Windows version (as far as I remember). The one I did release had only 80 levels (instead of the 330 that the other versions have) - I can't remember now if it even had sound.

I actually coded threeo versions of Guru Logic in the beginning, using three different programming languages - Cobra, Blitz Max and PlayBasic. It was just going to be an experiment to see which language performed the best. Cobra had been hyped to the nines and was supposed to be the one of the fastest and most powerful languages EVAH. I wanted to test those claims. The syntax was pretty awful, but I battled through and completed the game. In the end the BlitzMax version turned out to be smoother and faster - Cobra and PlayBasic were pretty much identical in performance terms.

Anyway, I moved on from BlitzMax to GLBasic and recoded the game from scratch (for the Spanish Wiz competition) and eventually released the full game on Wiz and Caanoo and (as seen above) a WIP for the Pandora.

So it's been through a series of iterations in various programming languages, and started life just as an R&D test. Funny how things turn out. :)

Back