Pollux Or Omap3530

Chip said:
Switching to hardware accelerated OpenGL would certainly improve the numbers for both systems, but this purely software-rendered test shows the pretty obvious difference in capabilities between the ARM9 core in the Pollux and the A8 in the OMAP3530.
This brings me to the interesting question WHEN we will finaly see hardware accelerated Software onto the Pandora? :) And how hard is it to optimize for example Quake 2? AFAIK there is much work to do becasue OpenGL and OpenGL ES (2.0) is not a simple 1:1 port thing.
Ireally want to see Hardware Accelerated games, we only had software mode programs until now, I hope the new Drivers are really good and useful for speed up 3D (2D too?) Games. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not just the CPU that makes the OMAP so much faster. It also has much more (and faster) RAM.

Chip said:
It's not just the CPU that makes the OMAP so much faster. It also has much more (and faster) RAM.
Yep, the memory performance is outstanding for a handheld. It's the biggest plus of OMAP3 compared to predecessors and other older ARM implementations IMO

Chip said:
It's the L2 cache that really helps things.

q3a_v101_armv6_nofpu_hwa.sisx - Quake 3 Arena engine (Samsung Innov8 etc.)

Well the Wiz is armv5 :( :(

Orange Pumpkin said:

well, source is also provided so it may be still possible to compile it for armv5, you know.

So with 3D acceleration it will work fine

Would be nice to see it working on mulitplayer mode with the oryginal PC version :) :)

hlide said:
Orange Pumpkin said:

well, source is also provided so it may be still possible to compile it for armv5, you know.

I dont think any of the source is arm specific, i think its just mentioned there for the binaries. I think we only need part of the code anyways, the wrapper for opengl es, and as far as ive looked it looks to be all c.

Orange Pumpkin said:
So with 3D acceleration it will work fine

Would be nice to see it working on mulitplayer mode with the oryginal PC version :) :)
I think it would work if you plugged in a real usb ethernet adapter to the wiz.

Ive compiled a dynamic library for the nanoGL library. It's basically the wrapper that should go around the gl es library. Ive converted the symbian calls to open a dll to linux's dl functions. I think it might work.

The next step is to make the video interface driver which may not be so simple, we will see.

Pickle said:
I think it would work if you plugged in a real usb ethernet adapter to the wiz.
Well can be like this too but was more thinking of doing it via WIFI dongle :) :)

So just make the 3D acceleration work and even Quake 1 is enough but the keyboard+mice support would be nice

Back