Pls help - probs with virtualdub

frolik

Bass Invader
Website
Visit site
I've been trying to understand virtualdub using various guides and have a few issues.

1. I've tried a few versions (1.4.7 / 1.4.11 / 1.5.4 / 1.5.9) and I can get the smallest file size only with 1.4.7, the others always seem to be 10-20mb larger. Is this normal?

2. I want to queue up several jobs at a time and leave it running, but once I have queued them up and press start from the job list, it just crashes out and closes virtualdub with no error... Running exactly the same job without queuing seems to work fine

3. I can't seem to get divx 505 and 412 to coexist, once I install one, the other dissapears from the codec list when choosing video compression?!

Here's the process I follow each time;

open avi file

full processing aud+vid

filters; resize - 320x240; precise bilinear

compression; xvid - 1 pass CBR 200Kbps

frame rate; decimate by 2 (or 3)

audio compression mp3 40k/22khz/stereo

audio conversion 44100 high quality

then save avi, this will work fine unless I try to queue the job and run from the job list in vsub 1.4.7

Can anybody help out with this? I've been burning the midnight oil trying to sort it out.

cheers

frolik.

Sorry but I will only reply to the 3rd question : 5.02 & 4.12 CANT coexist thats why when you install the 2nd then the 1st disapper....
Im using VD v1.5.4 (P4 opt) without any pbs for job list so I cant tell you how to make it work.
see you & good luck ;)

hey thanks for the tip, that explains the divx thing.

I just tried encoding shin 3x3eyes 45min avi using 1.5.4 that I downloaded from joygp and the file was 91mb when it is about 40mb when i encode it with version 1.4.7.... I'm using the same settings so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or that they encode differently.......

does no one else find this??

thanks dozer, I hadn't seen that guide before.. Explains a few things, I've been following the XVid guide there using VirtualDub 1.5.4 and I'm now getting good results using the 2pass method and setting the desired filesize AND the job queue works!

I'm happy now

ta for the help :p

Back