Playstation Emulator

sammydee

Still Fresh
I understand there is one already in quite an advanced stage of development.

My question is, does the Pandora have the power to add enhancements to the emulator, such as 2xSai texture scaling, hardware accelerated rendering into higher resolutions than the original playstation, user replaceable textures etc?

Is this likely to happen?

Sam

AssumedAlive said:
... user replaceable textures etc?
it couldnt be done in the emulator. It needs to be modified inside game, not "in the fly" on emulator. Only thing imho, could be done is "gridwire" instead grid + textures. Some games will be nicer for eye :p [ look: assault riggs / motorhead / wipeout :p ].
BTW. there are no real big difference between standard "high" psx res and pandora max res. Do you think it is worth to make it?

Last edited by a moderator:
StreaK said:
BTW. there are no real big difference between standard "high" psx res and pandora max res. Do you think it is worth to make it?
A lot of psx games render into 320x240. It would be worth it to double this to 640x480, it makes a huge difference aesthetically and to the gameplay imho when you can actually see what is happening, especially in racing sims.

Sam

AssumedAlive said:
A lot of psx games render into 320x240. It would be worth it to double this to 640x480, it makes a huge difference aesthetically and to the gameplay imho when you can actually see what is happening, especially in racing sims.

Sam
Right, i forgot about this... some games runs in psx's lo-res
In that case i agree. Lets wait for new builds on YouTube, maybe ZodTTD and co. will do something in this aspect.

StreaK said:
AssumedAlive said:
... user replaceable textures etc?

it couldnt be done in the emulator. It needs to be modified inside game, not "in the fly" on emulator.
It can be done and often is, as is the case with the Rice video plugin for the N64. It would require hardware acceleration since the way the texture replacements usually work is that they are inserted after textures have been converted to the 3D Accelerators native format. I'm not sure if there's any examples on any PSX emulators on the PC (I don't follow that scene as closely) but if there was I would suspect it works in the same way.
StreaK said:
Right, i forgot about this... some games runs in psx's lo-res
Wrong again, almost ALL games run at 320x192->240. High-res modes were usually used for menus such as the Simulation mode screens in Gran Turismo 1 and 2. I highly doubt there would even be over half a dozen 3D titles that run at 640x480.

Swiss_Cheeseman said:
I'm not sure if there's any examples on any PSX emulators on the PC
Not quite what you're after but some examples of PSX emulation with OpenGL shader effects:

Examples.

ashdjones said:
Swiss_Cheeseman said:
Not quite what you're after but some examples of PSX emulation with OpenGL shader effects:

Examples.

That's just post-processing, which is a little different.

EDIT: In the config screenshot there seems to be a hi-res texture option. If that has something like a 2xsai filtering option then that would be similar. However since it does that to all textures instead of doing it selectively it isn't as useful.

Swiss_Cheeseman said:
Wrong again, almost ALL games run at 320x192->240. High-res modes were usually used for menus such as the Simulation mode screens in Gran Turismo 1 and 2. I highly doubt there would even be over half a dozen 3D titles that run at 640x480.
I know what im tellin' :). Am I told anyone that 320x240 is lores in psx? Im operating in terms "lores" "hires". If you want to see hires game , ok -> check tobal no1, toshinden3 [with 30/60sec hi/lo res switcher] , for example. If you want more examples , i could provide it to you. Apart of that psx had a bunch of games in 2d operates in hires.

StreaK said:
Swiss_Cheeseman said:
I know what im tellin' :). Am I told anyone that 320x240 is lores in psx? Im operating in terms "lores" "hires". If you want to see hires game , ok -> check tobal no1 , for example. If you want more examples , i could provide it to you.

An exception that proves the rule. The game is obscure and largely uses simple non-textured polygons. Low-Res and High-Res in terms of TV resolutions almost universally means either 320x192->240 and 640x240/480.

AssumedAlive said:
I understand there is one already in quite an advanced stage of development.

My question is, does the Pandora have the power to add enhancements to the emulator, such as 2xSai texture scaling, hardware accelerated rendering into higher resolutions than the original playstation,
I think all of these are planned, yes.

user replaceable textures etc?

I don't think this is an option for the PSX.

Like Streak said, I think the PSX would need to be modified in file. The N64 memory maps directly to the cartridge, so to change the textures on that you simply need to load different textures into RAM.

Afaik the PSX had a whole CD, so the textures are very good looking already most of the time.

There will be filtering and high resolution options as far as I know, and that should be enough.

You can use that cool thing called the search feature ;) and find 2 threads named "Ridge Racer 4 Pandora" and "Playstation Emulation", where we talk about psx4pandora, and I post several shots of the new WIP rendering engine using HW acceleration, Scale2x on textures, double resolution and such.

Oh and texture replacement *can* be done. I'll be investigating it after the initial feature set is implemented ;)

Swiss_Cheeseman said:
ashdjones said:
Swiss_Cheeseman said:

Examples.

That's just post-processing, which is a little different.

EDIT: In the config screenshot there seems to be a hi-res texture option. If that has something like a 2xsai filtering option then that would be similar. However since it does that to all textures instead of doing it selectively it isn't as useful.

Which way did the Bleem! emulator use to improve the graphics? I remember being quite taken with how much better Yoshimitsu from Tekken2 looked whilst playing about with that.
Sorry could only find a Bleemcast! comparison shot, but it should give you a general idea of what I'm on about :)

bleem2.JPG

Personally I think that improving the gaming experience over the original machine is the sort of thing that will make people sit up and take notice of the Pandora.

Save states make the games less hassle, as you can save the game at any time and not just the predefined parts (good for those of us that don't have a lot of time for gaming) and improving the graphics by way of the mentioned methods, will bring the picture quality on newer TV's more on par with what they looked like on the older TV's.
Nothing worse than paying out big money for a new TV, only to find out that your old games system look worse for it <_<

I think the PSX emulator will be were I'll be spending a lot of my time. :)

Filters are a great addition and will make games look fantastic on the pandora.

Also I like the following image would that filter be possible with pandora?
2292845176_6d14208695.jpg

Crash Bandicoot 3 screenshot as posted by Tinnus in the old Playstation Emulation thread. I'm not sure what it means or how it fits into this conversation, but it sure looks nice. :lol:

gleshot6xu8vw3.png

joshwaan2k said:

Also I like http://www.flickr.com/photos/racketboy/2292845176/ would that filter be possible?

I can add support for post-processing shaders just like Pete's OGL2 plugin does, but existing filters would have to be modified since the semantics would be a bit different (although I could try really hard to get them compatible).

Again, all of that after the initial release :)

Tinnus said:
joshwaan2k said:

Also I like http://www.flickr.com/photos/racketboy/2292845176/ would that filter be possible?

I can add support for post-processing shaders just like Pete's OGL2 plugin does, but existing filters would have to be modified since the semantics would be a bit different (although I could try really hard to get them compatible).

Again, all of that after the initial release :)

Yeah of coarse, not pushing just be wicked to have them. One game I play a lot on my psx is Mortal Kombat Trilogy. What sort of filter would clean up the sprites to make them smoother?

Thanks for all the quick responses Tinnus :)

Back