Playstation Classic - Inc 20 games

Even before this information, I always considered these things most for their ornamental value. I can already play all of these games well on various devices, although I guess these also give you a more legal set of isos to play. But you'll only play them for a couple of months I reckon, and then it'll sit on a shelf looking pretty for the majority of its life anyway. I only really consider whether it's a reasonable price for a styled bit of plastic for all of these things, since that's where most of its value lies imo.
[doublepost=1541803872,1541803426][/doublepost]In that sense, it might be a better and smaller investment to buy one of these:
51%2BGk2PXmoL._SY450_.jpg

Code:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PlayStation-Sony-Console-Metal-Keychain/dp/B019OQ9OF2

Shame I can't find a quarter or maybe a 40% scale of some of these consoles of my youth.

Hmm, if you want these games it is probably better to get this than spend the hundreds of dollars to get them. I'm sure this will use uncompressed isos. I remember even emuparidise did some weird things to their PS1 games, like people can't download less than 650 mb. I'm sure it will be hacked and you can pull the (hopefully) uncompressed iso files off and bam, legal copies to play where ever you want.

There are a few games I would like, I haven't looked them up on ebay yet to see if the games I want add up to more than the $99 they are asking.

Other than that I don't think I'll be playing any games on this thing. They used PCSX rearmed and used none of its graphic benefits, which is really pointless. I'm thinking the reason that they used this over what Sony uses is their emulators probably are coded for chips that would be a little harder to source for small batches like this or would raise the cost significantly. The PS3 fat used a chip to pretty much emulate the hardware so who knows what the other PS3 models or the PS4 use. . .

I think the most I've ever paid for a second hand PS1 game was about 10GBP for RR type 4. Looking at the list of games, I spot about 4 that I've not already got on disc that I'd fancy playing. At 25 quid a pop and I don't even get a nice physical manual for each, I'm not sure it's worth that for me. If I was actually looking to display the thing in some games room it might be a more tempting offer. I guess one of these days I might upgrade my TVs to ones that don't have composite and s-video inputs, so you could also consider that this thing outputs hdmi natively, but given I upgraded my wii to output hdmi and it cost me about a fiver that doesn't make that much more interesting to me.

I got a snes classic, and it's pretty cool, I love the interface and the general intuitive nature of the controls etc, something very "nintendo" about it, they have always had a great user to application interface. I don't know what emulator they are using in the backend but it's ok for most games, not all work perfect, but a majority work flawlessly I feel it's worth the price to hack and add your own roms into.

Sony on the other hand has made great looking hardware but the interfaces have always been a little to be desired in my opinion. I am going to wait on getting the ps classic just to see the interface, if I just wanted pcsx-rearmed in a shell with a 'just ok' interface I'd build one myself out of a raspberry pi or something.

Well, if this Thing only got these Games, and PCSX Rearmed, then i think i would rather hope to get PCSX Rearmed on Pyra, but i have to look if these Games that are on the Mini PS1 are of any interest for me.. ( i have still space left on my Pyra/Pandora Rom SDXC Card..)

if this thing is going to be $100US then it will be way too expensive here in Australia. besides how many devices do i need to play PS1 games? been using ePSXe emulator on PC for over 10 years.. i can play them on my PSP or my RasPi .
no GT or GT2 so not any interest to me anyway... what would be interesting is what the hardware is and how long till someone hacks it to add your own roms..

on another note Ben Heck is at it again.....

This is true, I guess it's because you were pretty instrumental in the reARMed fork that u might have had some personal opinion / insight on how it feels to have a large corp use something you worked so hard on.
I don't have anything to say except that I'm not involved in any way. Open source software is used everywhere nowadays, it's nothing to write home about.

I don't have anything to say except that I'm not involved in any way. Open source software is used everywhere nowadays, it's nothing to write home about.
actually I think it's sort of badass. You should feel kind of honoured. Even the corporate jailbreaker jailing, import trader sueing, historically combatative anti-emulation overlords deem your code worthy enough of using on their on consoles :D it's even better than nintendo using roms downloaded from the web instead of ripping their own ^^.

So picked one up and got into the emulator menu to check metrics, because on paper this thing should be alot more potent than it's presenting. A Cortex A35@1.5GHz is not a weak CPU.

With default settings the SoC tends to be at 30-40% load, and under speedhacks the CPU is set at 57% by default. You can modify that to 114% and SoC load goes up to 70-90%, which allows you to run Jumping Flash at 40-60fps instead of 20-30 fps and otherwise to hit the frame cap and have subtle overspeed behaviors like piroutting in Resident Evil.

So the dirty little secret is in principle the SoC in this thing should be 45% more powerful than the one in the NES/SNES Classic, it's easier to do modification hacks with due to having two USBs in front, hacking is already progressing well on it, and due to them faceplanting on the last mile of the software side Sony is effectively going to subsidize these effectively being turned into rather potent RetroPies for the Hacking community after they go on clearance.

You just have to shake your head at this one.

Last edited:
only if they drop below the price of a RaspPi.. damn things are still $150 here in Aust.... so personally my Rpi 3 is not in danger of being dethroned..

Hm. it's using PCSXReARMed (which derived from the Pandora), but it seems the Pandora can run it better than the PS Classic Mini.. is the A35 slower than the A8?
Maybe it's missing NEON, as PCSXReARMed makes heavy use of that.
Haven't checked out the CPU yet :)

And checked: Has less DMIPS / MHz than the Pandora. The A35 is mostly thought to be the "LITTLE" part of BIG.LITTTLE or for IoT.
It has NEON, but it's a lot slower than the Pyra and about as fast as a 1.0GHz Pandora.

Last edited:
Yep, and it's what the iMX8 seems to be made out of too.

I think the NEON in this is likely to be 128 bits wide according to the armv8a programmers guide, while in the A8 it only goes up the 64 bits wide. That's unlikely to make much of a difference I'd have thought; in the assembler mnemonics I guess they use a different letter for the newer wider registers, but I can't access the Armv7-a prorammers reference for comparison without signing up for an arm account it seems. Hopefully that will become free to access soon after the pyra comes out.

It's also designed more for efficiency than for all out power. I can't find any metrics for that, but it's a different design intent than the A8 was made to. A single core A35 at 1.5GHz actually appears to be a weaker cpu than an A8 at 1GHz, but it may make your battery last longer in a mobile context; although I assume this ps classic thing has a mains cable coming out of the back of it, so that's largely irrelevant.

Back