Playing .mkv files?

Failcake

Still Fresh
Is there a good program to play .mkv files with? MPlayer won´t open them, and when I use VLC I can hear the audio but get a black screen for the video. Any suggestions for a good program?

In my experience, playing .mkv files on the Pandora is totally impossible right now.

Perhaps the DSP can help, but I don't expect that to happen anytime soon (read: two-months).

Matroska (*.mkv files) is just a container. VLC support this container format just fine.

What video codec do your files use ? (I'm betting on h264@1080p which the pandora doesnt play... indeed)

Can't speak for mkv files, but 480p x264 encoded mov and avi files play pretty good in mplayer when overclocked to 800 or so, and "reasonably" with a lot of frameskip at even 500mhz.

Code:
mplayer -vo sdl -fs -frameskip big_buck_bunny_480p.mov

Sometimes i'm playing videos on vlc it comes with blank screen,to solve it i do full screen by pressing f button keyboard then once in full screen mode then press a button on keyboard,with different screen sizes,keep on pressing it till you don't see your video,it usually works with 16.9 and 16.10 but make sure it's full screen before doing this.

Also try gnome player,sm player.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried all three players vlc plays shows blue screen and sm player stop playing and gnome stop playing aswell,there is no way you can play this kind of video on pandora,sorry.

I tried all three players vlc plays shows blue screen and sm player stop playing and gnome stop playing aswell,there is no way you can play this kind of video on pandora,sorry.
That was my conclusion as well. The only way to watch video on the Pandora is by transcoding the content. I refuse to do so and thus for now, it unfortunately fails as a video player. Perhaps some time in the future, but I'm not having high hopes.

I have XVID encoded MKV files that run fine.. but like people said it's the .h264 .x264 codec that's slowing down the works..

MKV/AVI = containers

XVID/H264 = codecs

x264 = encoder software

The codec specification essentially tells how software needs to be decoded and not how it should be encoded. Therefore different encoders will yield different results (even while being compliant with the same codec). Because of this people tend to erroneously refer to x264 itself as a codec (which is just h264/MPEG-4).

Back