Playing Backups On A Sega Saturn

loz_the_guru

i cant think of a good custom member title. Sugges
Website
Visit site
im not normally for this type of thing, but as its not a current console and the only game i really want to play is panzer dragoon saga, can anyone tell me what i need/need to do to play back ups on a saturn?

You need a modchip. They're easy to install, I managed without significant trouble and I'm not that great at soldering.

Or you can do the swap trick, but it'll damage your unit in the long run, so I wouldn't recommend it.

You need a modchip. They're easy to install, I managed without significant trouble and I'm not that great at soldering.
This assumes you have the right version. If you have an older Saturn, it can be tough to install the modchip properly. This is what's kept me from installing one.

Last edited by a moderator:
This assumes you have the right version. If you have an older Saturn, it can be tough to install the modchip properly. This is what's kept me from installing one.

Yup, was just going to edit my post in regard to the different Saturn models.

Basically, there are two different models; the first one (which has oval power/reset-buttons) and the second one (which has round power/reset-buttons). If you've got a second model Saturn, you're in luck. If you don't, you'll have to swap or be prepared to solder traces of the modchip onto the motherboard.

What about this thing? Or does it only work for imports (provided it works at all, of course)?

Only works for imports. It only makes the Saturn ignore region protection, won't help you in playing backups as it'll still check for the outer ring (the outmost track on the actual CDs, which is present on all Saturn originals and not possible to replicate using standard burning equipment).

I just do the swap trick.

There is a version for each Saturn variety.

My unit still works, and if it does fuck up, I'll just get a new one for about £10!

I'm paranoid about doing the swap trick, I have done it a couple of times and it worked fine. I did see another saturn at cash convertors for $48AU maybe I should pick that up as a spare.

Saturns arent that common round here. :(

hm ... i used the swap trick with my model 1, but it seems the laser got a crack or something ... the console just doesn't read as good as before.
My model 2 has a modboard and i'm very happy with it. It only costs ~10€ so it's not to high in price.
There are different Model2 Versions with different CD-Drives. Some of them aren't modable ... to find out if you can use a modboard, visit this site: http://forums.segaxtreme.net/showthread.ph...hlight=modboard
The forum has various information regarding the modboard. http://forums.segaxtreme.net/search.php?searchid=3073

Mod Chips are piss easy to install, even I could do it.

It's also not that hard to install a 50Hz/60Hz and region switch if you really want to go all out. Check Sega Xtreme for more info.

Man I love Saturn.

Mod Chips are piss easy to install, even I could do it.

It's also not that hard to install a 50Hz/60Hz and region switch if you really want to go all out. Check Sega Xtreme for more info.

Man I love Saturn.
Yes the Saturn is my favorite system next to my Turbo Duo. I have the Model 1 Saturn with the oval buttons and installed the modchip myself. The first time I did the install it didn't work, because the place I got my modchip from sent the wrong version. I sent it back and they mailed me new one that finally worked. It really wasn't hard to solder on. Well here is one site that still has some I believe. I haven't ordered from them personally but you could try them if you're interested in modding. http://www.racketboy.com/saturn-modchip/index.htm

I strongly recommend avoiding the swap trick as you'll jerk the Saturn's spindle every time you do it, which'll end up damaging it in the long run. I bought my modchip from racketboy (jandaman also sells them) - good service, fast ship. You won't regret getting a modchip if you're serious about Saturn gaming (besides, it's annoying to have to preform the trick every time you're to swap CD in game or similar).

Damn, after all this talking about the Saturn I have to play some. See you in a few hours.

I strongly recommend avoiding the swap trick as you'll jerk the Saturn's spindle every time you do it, which'll end up damaging it in the long run. I bought my modchip from racketboy (jandaman also sells them) - good service, fast ship. You won't regret getting a modchip if you're serious about Saturn gaming (besides, it's annoying to have to preform the trick every time you're to swap CD in game or similar).

Damn, after all this talking about the Saturn I have to play some. See you in a few hours.

Now I still need to have my import converter in the saturn ram slot to play Japanese games. There are converter apps to convert the region of a cd image before you burn it though.

Back