Playable Games On Psx4all?

hsinn3r

Still Fresh
on the current release, is any game playable on the gp2x? speedwise that is. i haven't tried it yet, it would be good to know what to expect..
cheers

A lot of 2d games are playable fullspeed, like Abe's odyssey. I think there is a wiki with a list of playable games somewhere.

hsinn3r said:
on the current release, is any game playable on the gp2x? speedwise that is. i haven't tried it yet, it would be good to know what to expect..
cheers
While we're on the subject, could someone post a general "optimum settings" for PSX4GP2X? I'm sure it varies game to game, but a few ideas of where to start would be helpful. Basically: What settings do you use most of the time? I'm pretty savvy when it comes to most emulators, but there's a few settings on PSX4GP2X that I have no clue as to what they even do (the documentation wasn't very helpful, alas). If anyone has any ideas, I'd truly appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well to be perfectly honest I don't see any noticeable changes with any of the tweaks (apart from the actual GP2X overclocking obviously). I've messed around with the PSX clock stuff and never got much of an increase in FPS(if any), and I think I tried just about every combination possible.

Optimum settings would be:
-overclocking the GP2X as high as you can go,
-turning ON your ram timings,
-and making sure to enable the Abes Oddysee hack if you're playing Abes oddysee, and turning it off for everything else :D .

Interesting thread, I'd love to see that Wiki link, I can't find it on wiki.gp2x.org

I tried psx emulation just to see if I could get Soul Blade working. It was so close to working (but not) that I could almost cry... The game runs at about half speed, fairly impressive all things considered

i always thought that psx emulation on the gp2x was a lost cause, i never thought it would be playable... i think i'll try a few games when i finish lunar on picodrive, to clear off some space on my sd card :p
maybe i can find a few old school rpgs on the psx that may be playable :)
cheers

Yea, considering the technical difficulties PSX emulation on the GP2X is amazing. I've heard C&C: Red Alert is very playable.... Wipeout XL is probably the nearest-fullspeed 3d game. Raiden Project is also quite close to full speed. Since people have different definitions of fullspeed, the best indication is to look through the videos on youtube, especially CABBAGES ones. http://www.youtube.com/user/CABBAGES

If you dont want to look through youtube, the psx4gp2x beta topics also give a pretty good indication.... but at the cost of reading 100s of posts.

Another couple of 3D games which are impressive speedwise are "Tenchu Stealth Assasins" and "Exhumed". There was one or two more but I don't remember now off hand.

Tenchu i particular only needed about 3 FPS more to be tolerably playable, at least in my opinion.

Gran Turismo did not run at all, Wipeout 1 (not XL) ran great too, I found that most games that worked ran best at the default PSX Clock and sync settings, but some required you *underclocked* the PSX CPU (I used to push it as low as 40% for some games, like final fantasy 7 and 9 *8 was unplayable*).

Air combat (or Ace combat for those over the pond) also ran at OK speeds (playable, but you could notice frame lag, and sound was horrible) again, with an underclocked PSX CPU setting. Pitty the game itself was so bad :D

All my experiences with PSX4ALL were on a GP2X that could overclock to 280Mhz stable, so your mileage might be less, or more (I've seen a F200 that was happy running at 290mhz).

Is there any real difference in speed compared to the F200? And has there been any hinting as to the next update of this emu?

It has increased in speed wise but it has horrible sound to it has anyone have this problem?

I had FF: Tactics up an running on the new release of psx4all the other day for about 5 minutes. Got past the boot screen thru the menus was so excited, but it froze on the first real cutscene.

Was using an F200 with all settings untouched, no OC.

i tried resident evil one, and it was quite unplayable... next i'll try exhumed (powerslave) :D

Red Alert is playable? Last time I played it. it was slow. How does it run with the new release?

resident evil 2 runs at good speed and tekken 3 has increased from the last time, now running much faster than before.

Bitmap Brothers 'Z' works just okay on default settings clocked at 250Mhz. It's a 2D RTS like Command and Conquer.

The thing is you must set FS to 0/1 (ie. frameskip 0) otherwise it doesn't draw correctly, so perhaps this is killing the performance a little.

Is this true for most 2D games?

I haven't tried tweaking it but I'm sure it would work better if I under clock the PSX cpu.

Any one else like 'Z'?

never use frameskip 0/1 frameskip or more the graphics look really bad with loads of line all over the screen, the clock speed shpuld be atleast 250 or 266mhz and ram tweaks on these are the best settings for the psx emulator

Back