Pirates Classic Remake

Would you like to see this happen?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Spent a little time with the code, I fixed my code to use the HFG ship sprites. They look pretty good, may need to shrink them down for the GP2X size. Still trying to get the wind thing down, still has some issues.
I hope at some point I can do the youtube thing and show progress that way. Im finally getting a 'high speed' internet connection, im upgrading from dialup :D

Project is still alive, probally will be unless I croak. :rolleyes:
Things have slowed down a bit as the 'real life' stuff has occured.
Maybe there will be a release by the time GP3X comes out... just joking.

I really hope to finish up the nav part(maybe this year)?

Update, I added the wave from Badwolf. Seems to work ok. I need to fine tune it to get the speed right. Im also not really happy with rand(). Seems im only getting 3/4 down the screen when i randomly generate the coordinates.
I will post some shots later today.

Never played pirates but I did love pirates 2. The remake done with dodgy english. Despite it being unfinished it was still a very good game. And having something like that on a hand held would be great.

There is a new game coming out for GBA and DS called pirate battle, some sort of strat game. No real news yet.

http://www.orbitalmedia.com/piratebattle

Skies posted on Dec 14 2006 at 02:46 PM said:
Never played pirates but I did love pirates 2. The remake done with dodgy english. Despite it being unfinished it was still a very good game. And having something like that on a hand held would be great.

There is a new game coming out for GBA and DS called pirate battle, some sort of strat game. No real news yet.

http://www.orbitalmedia.com/piratebattle

I never had much success with running the homebrew pirates 2 (maybe i shoudl try again with dosbox)
Of course there are many other versions:
Pirates Gold, Pirates Live the Life (3d), Hunt for Gold (im using their gfx)

If anyone didnt know you can get both PGold and PLive in the collectors edition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump bump bump :)

How's everything? I just remembered about this project, perhaps new members who didn't notice it yet will notice it now, and chip in. What stage is the code in? Last time you were working on wind to complete the sea navigation, right? Sorry, don't mean to be too upfront, I'm just excited about this project, it has a lot of potential :)

Alex. said:
Bump bump bump :)

How's everything? I just remembered about this project, perhaps new members who didn't notice it yet will notice it now, and chip in. What stage is the code in? Last time you were working on wind to complete the sea navigation, right? Sorry, don't mean to be too upfront, I'm just excited about this project, it has a lot of potential :)
Its been a while since I looked at this thread, 70 yes votes, im amazed.

Where am i at? The "wind" is working better, I still need to tie it better together with the ship sprite. I really have wanted to make a short clip of whats done in action, but there are some things I havnt gotten to. Ive also been trying to think up some ways to quickly edit the map file, i think i have a way.
Some other things that are done: random wave animation, wind compass (shows which direction the wind is going)

Yorper said:
This gets my vote. I love pirates, its one of my all time favourite games! :D
Ditto! If you need any help, let me know. With the exception of art, I couldn't draw myself out of a wet paper bag :D

fishybawb said:
Yorper said:
This gets my vote. I love pirates, its one of my all time favourite games! :D
Ditto! If you need any help, let me know. With the exception of art, I couldn't draw myself out of a wet paper bag :D

Sound and graphics were the highly needed things. But most graphics and sound are coming from a project called Hunt for Gold (java pirates). At the moment I think im keeping the source closed, until I finish some of the bigger chunks, such as the window/message system. Thanks for the offer and ill keep it mind.

I dont have a clip yet but heres a screen shot. ignore the mistakes in the island.

TheMinder said:
Not sure if there's anything you might want to borrow from here : http://www.crownandcutlass.com/ but it was mentioned in a magazine this month and it reminded me of this thread.

I have come across that project, but appears they only have the navagation engine done, and its a 3d. So I dont know if theres much from it that I could use yet.

Well a little update.

I spent a couple hours coding and I came pretty close to having the ship switch to "crew on land mode".
I can switch back and forth between the 2, the only thing left to decide on is the best method of collision for the crew. Since it does not need to collide with every land tile, maybe just beach tiles.

I am also at a point were I need a simple map making program. Ive started one, but I just need a quick and dirty way to change the tiles at each location. Im close on this too.

I think a couple more sessions and I might have this navagtion mode done. Then I can move onto placing a city and building the text window modes. Little by little. Maybe it will be done by GP4X.....

Do you still need some help with the graphics? Sorry I disappeared so fast last time... I could try and whip something up if you could tell me what you need.

xnopasaranx said:
Do you still need some help with the graphics? Sorry I disappeared so fast last time... I could try and whip something up if you could tell me what you need.
actually I do have something, I could use a 16x16 tile for shoal's/reef. I was thinking it should have mutiple frames to simulate a reflection of the light from the water moving above it.

After that the land tiles might need a little work, but not yet.

Just remembered:
Clouds are pretty crappy right now too, they are basically some elipses I drew in paint. They are 80x80.

okay, I will try to come up with something for the clouds and reefs when I have a little time for it this week. maybe the reefs could be partly under the water aswell. I would need your water tiles then to whip something up.

Back