Pinebook Open-Source ARM based notebook (spectre safe)

klapse

Central Scrutinizer
https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=3707

pinebook_size1_new2.jpg

Cortex A53 based, which seems to be immune to spectre attacks.

https://developer.arm.com/support/security-update

.. and yet, at 100 euro it is cheap (+import tax). and makes for a good SSH workstation. It has HDMI, so that is one port more than Apple stuff. Yet, the 30 days warranty is so minimal.

+batterylife
+linux MATE

Wow, I've been hoping to see computers like this appear for years! I remember a similar OMAP3-based convertible laptop around the time Pandora was being designed, but I didn't hear anything about that in almost a decade.

Performance ought to be good enough for C coding and light desktop use (RPi 3 with same CPU and half the RAM is!). I can see something like this replacing my old Thinkpad when it dies (in a quarter century or so :D)

There's one like this but works with the Raspberry Pi.. called the pi-top. It's more expensive new, though. I've got a couple I got from ebay for better prices.

The keyboard on these sucks. Or I got a bad one.

Wait what? They're shipping? Where to buy? The display has higher resolution than the pi-top, and it's 1/4th the price.

[EDIT] What else can you tell us about it? Does video have accelerated scaling under Xorg? What OS can you put on it? Tell more please.

Wait what? They're shipping? Where to buy? The display has higher resolution than the pi-top, and it's 1/4th the price.

[EDIT] What else can you tell us about it? Does video have accelerated scaling under Xorg? What OS can you put on it? Tell more please.
Well I got it in May or June of last year. Video didn't appear to be accelerated, at least not in Chromium. The only avaliable OSes I could find were the Xubuntu variant it came with, and Android. The Android ran from the MicroSD slot, and unusably slowly. Unfortunately, for me, the keyboard is bad enough to make the computer largely unusable. You have to press the keys very hard, or just the right way for them to work.
[doublepost=1515727975,1515727817][/doublepost]I pre-ordered one from them, I dunno where to buy one now.

The IGG is in in-demand mode, so you can buy one there I think. It does sound like they're still a way off mass production though, so i guess you got a pre-prelease unit somehow.

According the wikipedia, it should have the blobs for the mali core so it should have some degree of acceleration I think.

I ran across this thing while searching for Pyra media coverage. Does anyone besides Silent-Hunter have one now?

I have no computer currently and have been looking into something cheap to tide me over until I can order a Pyra.

Guy i know ordered, paid, and never got a unit. Not sure how much that means tho.

Yeah, I kinda figured this would be a bad idea.

It's just, have any of you guys been without a computer for several months before? It's excruciating.

I have now bought a Rockpro64 as a server.
I wanted to get an Odroid but I'm waiting for over half a year now. Neither the N2 nor the H2 is available.

For now I'm satisfied with it.

They plan to produce a Pinebook with the RK399 (A72 cores) and an aluminium housing.
I might get one of those.
The Processor of the original Pinebook is too weak for me.

I'm interested in this thing just because it's a functional laptop stronger than a Pi for less money and effort that actually making a Pi laptop. I can think of a couple of things to do or try to do with one of these...

I ran across this thing while searching for Pyra media coverage. Does anyone besides Silent-Hunter have one now?

I have no computer currently and have been looking into something cheap to tide me over until I can order a Pyra.
They only have a one month warranty, and after about six months the battery swelled up. Unlike most x86 computers, it won't run just on the power supply, so now it's useless.

Warranties less than 1 year should be illegal.

Wow, I've been hoping to see computers like this appear for years! I remember a similar OMAP3-based convertible laptop around the time Pandora was being designed, but I didn't hear anything about that in almost a decade.

Performance ought to be good enough for C coding and light desktop use (RPi 3 with same CPU and half the RAM is!). I can see something like this replacing my old Thinkpad when it dies (in a quarter century or so :D)

I thought for sure there would be a bunch with raspberry pi. But there was only 1and it was super expensive.
[doublepost=1556145044,1556144853][/doublepost]

I got a Samsung Chromebook 3 during black Friday for $130. 10 hour battery life, android and linux VM. Works great! Check one of those out.

Back