Picade: The arcade cabinet kit for your Raspberry Pi

ghostpatch

a9a92444be306a6d44b638cacfab3010_large.jpg

http://www.kickstart...our-raspberry-p

nice project but since emulators depend on CPU power I wonder about the performance (ok, your not bound to use a Raspberry Pi). The price is good though and you'll have a lot of fun putting it together and painting it ; )

Edit: Could be a cool edition to our Pandora. Maybe integrating a powerd USB hub - making it some sort of docking station. Looks like there is enough room to hide a lot of periphery in it. ; )

Last edited by a moderator:
a9a92444be306a6d44b638cacfab3010_large.jpg

http://www.kickstart...our-raspberry-p

nice project but since emulators depend on CPU power I wonder about the performance (ok, your not bound to use a Raspberry Pi). The price is good though and you'll have a lot of fun putting it together and painting it ; )

Edit: Could be a cool edition to our Pandora. Maybe integrating a powerd USB hub - making it some sort of docking station. Looks like there is enough room to hide a lot of periphery in it. ; )

The Raspberry Pi is powerful enough for a lot of emulators. I do not really know what makes you think otherwise. It's probably as powerful as the Pandora, if not more (GPU wise).

GPU perhaps, but CPU not really. Exophase, WizardStan or Notaz can chime in here and corroborate or correct?

Any idea what the best cpu/gpu performance for a linux based MAME unit? I figure getting something x86 would be better for MAME/MESS?

I was thinking of making something similar, but larger controls, trackball and such.. but with my Beagleboard.

I wonder, how are they going to handle the ROMs?

Which arcade emulators can be included (sold) a commercial product?

Great stuff! I started off very ambivalent towards KS, but I now love them.

They might take their cut but they throw much more than than in via their publicity engine.

They are really changing the way things are funded and must be ruffling a few feathers at the major banks!

Including emulators is of course legal, everywhere; that'd cost them, an SD card or something, mind you, each.

But yes, ROMs, forget it.. especially across borders.. barring free distribution ROMs (which do exist.)

jeff

The good thign about KS, is it helps the 'midlings', a well known problem; you often get a break as a new little guy, and the big guys have no problems; but in the middle, where you've done something before, or want to do something a little bigger.. you're fooked, too risky.

So all those 80s game devs like Chris Roberts who can't get their old projects back up, but cna do new things they don't really want to do.. a shame.. but KS to the rescue!

jeff

Its a kickstarter, go read the page; each pledge level has an estimate (such as May, april, etc), but being a KS .. it could be never, could be late.. you throw your money at it, and hope for the best ;)

jeff

Its a kickstarter, go read the page; each pledge level has an estimate (such as May, april, etc), but being a KS .. it could be never, could be late.. you throw your money at it, and hope for the best ;)

jeff
That's exactly the problem it could be siren from the story's or ... It could be the MAME cabinet kit ( fine , ume ... wait isn't that what it's called now that it merged with MESS ? )

Arcade machien kits are not hard to come by .. from the real manuf of the real cabs, to all the retro enthusiast designs, to inbetween. This KS is actually quite pricey, but it does include an LCD panel and so on..

.. but getting your own arcade controls (sticks, buttons, wiring harnesses, power supplies, etc) to run real arcade pcbs in and such, is not that hard, not that expensive anymore; it used to be a lot of work/cost, but now.. you can build a full arcade machine, or a hybrid PC<->arcade pcb's, or a pure emu cab like a MAME-cabinet, and most of the hard stuff is made easy.

You can buy a beat-up real arcade cabinet from 5/10/15/20/25.. years ago for $0-$100, depending on whats in it and condition and where you live .. I've been through dozens :)

jeff

$286AU... for the cab unit, screen, speakers with, buttons, joystick, wires and the controller... shipped

That's not bad.. I figure that's about the same cost If I wanted to buy each part one by one.

That said, I've always wanted to make one of those cocktail ones for the lounge because I've got a huge 42inch TV.... might pull out and look into the gaming table.

Back