Phytium-based ARM PC

So the Plan might be not to ask but to try..
I see whe have 4 USB Ports, so Mouse, Keyboard, the Ethernet Adapter that was included (if Debian ditnt have a Driver for the internal Ethernet Card), and the USB 3 Port for my new Powered HUB?
Or should i put the Ethernet Adapter to the USB3 Port as its needs the Extra Speed?

A solution which is maybe a bit more sleek might be to put my 7 Port USB3 Hub to another USB3 Hub whit the Ethernet Adapter, so i have only stuff on the Hub on my TV when its needed..

Akkording to a German News Side, there is a new Version from Debian, but i have to Update anyway when the System is up and running..
I have some time left as ED ditnt shipped it yet, maybe after the Chrismass..

And i allready made a Playlist in my Youtube Chanel for ARM Desktop Computer, but i dont have a Video yet..

Interesting: the Phytian was preeordered 33 times so a quite exclusive device ^^ Much more exclusive than the Pyra ..
Due to the not foreseeing amount, they need a bit more time to assemble so they should be ready in early January 2022 , still better than Q4 22 for the Analogue Pocket..

So seems like I have to play whit the Pyra on Sylvester..

Reactions: rSl
Bought a nice cherry Keyboard today, worked on the Pyra so it’s should be fine,
Also a USB3 DVD Burn/Write Drive, and a Headset to Audio Out/In Adapter..
But I wait until I have the Phytian under my TV to build up the new stuff,
Although the Computer is not that heavy, it’s may be a bit difficult to build my Stuff anyway, Cable Management and so on..

Reactions: rSl
That first batch of mini-pc is in assembling stage it seems. Got a couple of picture
a643810b2c4a52988a751962350a092.jpg

060e2f4573b9331e55853f9f64d6dd6.jpg

The boxes says E2000, wasn’t it D2000 ? , not that it would bother me much, as long as the Debian Image works I have on my USB Stick..

Edit: 72 Chips, seems like the 36 from EvilDragon Shop aren’t all ^^
It’s nice they had sell more

Last edited:
The boxes says E2000, wasn’t it D2000 ? , not that it would bother me much, as long as the Debian Image works I have on my USB Stick..

Edit: 72 Chips, seems like the 36 from EvilDragon Shop aren’t all ^^
It’s nice they had sell more
First box is memory module, 2nd box is Video Card (not cpu).

Some news on the ARM mini-PC.
1f11dd62beff21daa571c8dac7276a6.jpg

Testing is ongoing. But it seems some motherboard have issues and needs to be repaired. This probably means the shipping will not occur before the Chinese New Years vaccations, with everything stopping at the end of the month and activity going back to normal after the 10th of february.

Linux is never that easy, although that's perhaps because when I do find normal operations easy I start using something like ffmpeg, and right now I'm getting my head around SQL with sqlite3. I still often have to do an internet search to find the exact syntax to use.

Well I don’t want to go too deep In the System: when I finally be on the Desktop, I can use Firefox on the Pythian for research how to make thinks ..
Until I get to the Desktop I can use the Pyra for this..
my first plan is to let the normal stuff running, E-mail, Office, something to watch YouTube..
my second plan is to get the DRM Stuff up and running whit Chromium ..
and when everything works maybe some games over Box86

Let’s hope it will arrive for a weekend: it’s not that fun to set up a Gadget when you have only a few hours left on this evening bevor you have to take a shower and go to sleep…
Like whit the IPhone of my Dad ..

The main question for me to buy such a small Computer device would be: can it run Youtube 1080p Videos in 60FPS without any hiccups? Not even the latest Raspberry 4 can, for instance. Every cheap TV Stick can, for instance. Weird.

The main question for me to buy such a small Computer device would be: can it run Youtube 1080p Videos in 60FPS without any hiccups? Not even the latest Raspberry 4 can, for instance. Every cheap TV Stick can, for instance. Weird.
The Pi4 can't play YT 1080p60 properly, because there is no driver for the VPU with Linux
Most TV sticks use Android with a closed source driver. That way video decoding is handled by the VPU and not by the ARM cores.
According to Broadcom the BCM2711 is able to decode h265 4K@60, but you will need the VPU driver.

I have good hope that this machine can play YT 1080p60 properly, because the Pi4 has 4 A72 cores at overclocked max 2.3 GHz.
I assume the Phytium has 8 newer cores and it runs standard at 2.3 - 2.6 GHz.
With a bit of luck we have proper support for the RX 550 with Linux.

Train? Ah I forgot there was this Freight Train from Asia to Europe ^^ Do whe know if this Chromium Streaming Hack also works whit Crunchyroll?
Great news ^^

The Pi4 can't play YT 1080p60 properly, because there is no driver for the VPU with Linux
Most TV sticks use Android with a closed source driver. That way video decoding is handled by the VPU and not by the ARM cores.
According to Broadcom the BCM2711 is able to decode h265 4K@60, but you will need the VPU driver.

I have good hope that this machine can play YT 1080p60 properly, because the Pi4 has 4 A72 cores at overclocked max 2.3 GHz.
I assume the Phytium has 8 newer cores and it runs standard at 2.3 - 2.6 GHz.
With a bit of luck we have proper support for the RX 550 with Linux.
Thanks for the explanation. I just thought, the Pi Community is so big (compared to this Phytium device here), there already should be proper drivers for basically everything. I didn't thought that HW Acceleration under Linux is still an issue in 2022 or so. At least it sounds like the modern SoCs itself should have more than enough power to play videos fluidly when HW acceleration is present. It would be a waste to force this with pure software acceleration through raw CPU power or so - IMHO.
Chip manufacturers really could start to provide proper Linux drivers for their GPU units, nobody says that Linux drivers have to be open source all the time. I'm just a customer and all I want a device that simply works.
In this case a small, simple and power efficient "Mini PC" that can play YOutube Videos the same way my big PC can. - Just more efficient of course.

In my experinece there's a lot of difference between a YT 1080p and a native 1080p clip you have stored on your sd card. I download all my videos in whatever resolution they come down in, and then transcode them to native resolution if required, and they play back fine on my old hardware, but that just be me and my old laptop.

That's on a slightly different machine (FT2000/4 + full-sized Rx550), but I I would expect similar result on the D2000 and it's MXM Rx550...
Screenshot_2022-01-23_22-09-53.png

(The droped frames are from the start, because of my slow network...)

Back