Photo Comparision - Gp2x Vs Gp32

The camera exagerates quite a bit actually. Since those are shot up close the fact that the '2X is black and the '32 white, makes a big difference in the contrast of the shots. Just check out how the wooden table is lit differently in the pics, that's good evidence of this.

So the pics don't really tell the truth. If you want to do a real comparison, you could mask of everything else except the screen. This could be done easily by just cutting a square in some cardboard and placing it on top of the console.

The camera exagerates quite a bit actually. Since those are shot up close the fact that the '2X is black and the '32 white, makes a big difference in the contrast of the shots. Just check out how the wooden table is lit differently in the pics, that's good evidence of this.

So the pics don't really tell the truth. If you want to do a real comparison, you could mask of everything else except the screen. This could be done easily by just cutting a square in some cardboard and placing it on top of the console.

That may be true about the camera but there IS a huge difference between the brightness and contrast of the two. The BLU screen is much dimmer and the color much more washed out. The black level is worse on the BLU than the GP2X too. I compared them both as I have both, When I did it was almost hard to see that the BLU was even on it was so dim. I used to think the BLU was decent and it was compared to a FLU or NLU, but it litterally pales in comparison to the GP2X.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, almost makes me want a GP32 *sniffles* as I even have two 128MB SMC cards for my aging 4mega-pixel digital camera.

The GP32 ran Quake??? How well? My GP2X at 280MHz runs it well enough, but not as well as a PII-333 obviously. About as well as my P-75 ran it, actually, which is probably why it's so perfect for me. It's what I remember.
Mine runs it at ~11 FPS when overclocked to 188Mhz. It is playable, but not quite there yet. The GP2X runs it wonderfully though, and I have yet to try it overclocked.

I'll do a second photo comparision with the LCD's masked as suggested when I will get my hands on four AA's.

- Alex

... When I did it was almost hard to see that the BLU was even on it was so dim....
As the comparison pictures show DaveC is talking absolute hogwash as usual. I think he needs to accept either his BLU is faulty or his GP2X fanboyism is deluding him. I have compared the GP2X to a BLU and a BLU+ and sadly the GP32 screens are better. I have to qualify this by saying my GP2X is an unmodified version 1 firmware 'first edition'. I would hope that the later firmware/fixes have made the GP2X as good as the GP32 display. With the display tweaker (the need for this utility must tell you something) surely there is no excuse for it not to be.

I'll do a second photo comparision with the LCD's masked as suggested when I will get my hands on four AA's.
I think this is not going to help a great deal. There are reasons that a photo comparison will show a GP2X display favourably. For one it is a still image so does not suffer from scanlines and flicker. Another, more significant reason, has been discussed on these forums in the past before the GP2X existed. I was tempted to point it out on a previous occasion when DaveC made these same comments but, after all, he is a guru. If he thinks about it for five seconds perhaps it will occur to him and he can then explain why.

No way is the GP32 BLU screen better than the Gp2x First Edition screen! I think you'll like the Mk2 screen as it's like the BLU but far brighter with greater saturation and contrast.

Hogwash? Gibbets and Crows!

Take a poll, but let's not throw around accusations that you might be uncomfortable with if standing 6" from the man. It's simply not necessary.

For one it is a still image so does not suffer from scanlines and flicker.
True, and I must add that the (my) MK2 screen occasionaly flickers - more than my BLU+'s, although scanlines are scarce and too tiny to notice.

Despite these imperfections, the 2X is a wonderful machine, so fun to develop for :)

- Alex

No way is the GP32 BLU screen better than the Gp2x First Edition screen! I think you'll like the Mk2 screen as it's like the BLU but far brighter with greater saturation and contrast.
You are wrong. You have been around long enough to understand why the GP2X screen appears so bright compared with the GP32 in a photograph. But brightness, even without shimmering and scanlines, does not equal better.
Looking at Alex's photographs it is plain that the GP32 screen is not as bright, but there is no way that you could say '... it was almost hard to see that the BLU was even on it was so dim'.
The shots of DrMd show how much better the GP32 definition is. On the GP2X the background is undefined yet on the GP32 the details are visible. The same goes for the shots of Quake. Note the GP32's richer colours in the foreground and the fact the background is not a dark, featurless mass. How is this possible on the dimmer screen ? Surely these details should be more defined on the better lit screen.
I really cannot see how anyone can hold to the view that the GP2X has a better screen especially when you factor in the shimmer/scanline/tweaking factors.

Hogwash? Gibbets and Crows!

Take a poll, but let's not throw around accusations that you might be uncomfortable with if standing 6" from the man. It's simply not necessary.
I don't think I accused anyone of anything. I merely corrected a totally inaccurate comparison. It would actually be interesting to meet him face to face with our respective handhelds and try to understand how we can hold such disparate views on something so indisputable.
Which way would you vote in this poll you propose ? You have got to concede it would be be pretty meaningless.

Maybe one of you has a dodgy unit?

But I can't imagine the BLU screen can't be that bad, if it was unuseable then it wouldn't have been used :p

My digital camera is crap, but here is my best comparison result for the LCDs:

IMAGE03.png

I don't think I accused anyone of anything. I merely corrected a totally inaccurate comparison.

"DaveC is talking absolute hogwash as usual."

That is an accusation, insinuating that most everything DaveC posts is pointless tripe. It leaps beyond the point you are currently trying to make - which is, perhaps, perfectly correct - and attacks any other post the man has made.

That is what is uncalled for, Jabby.

I asked for a poll simply to try to make you realize that strong, and I hate this word, opinions range on both sides, so it's best to keep a cool head and an even tone when writing about yours. I did not suggest it because it will settle any point other than your education ;)

I don't think I accused anyone of anything. I merely corrected a totally inaccurate comparison.

"DaveC is talking absolute hogwash as usual."

That is an accusation, insinuating that most everything DaveC posts is pointless tripe. It leaps beyond the point you are currently trying to make - which is, perhaps, perfectly correct - and attacks any other post the man has made.

That is what is uncalled for, Jabby.

I asked for a poll simply to try to make you realize that strong, and I hate this word, opinions range on both sides, so it's best to keep a cool head and an even tone when writing about yours. I did not suggest it because it will settle any point other than your education ;)

You are such a nice man, David (sincerely). Always so level headed and helpful, a credit to the community. Thank you for your concern about my education. I apologise for my abrasive personality to you and DaveC.
My 'as usual' comment should have been qualified by relating it to this particular issue - the GP32 BLU screen. This is not the first time he has made this type of comment regarding the display.
Earlier you expressed an interest in getting a GP32. It would be nice if you could have some accurate information to base a decision to get one on. As a guru DaveC's opinion should carry more weight than that of us mere mortals but what he says (regarding the BLU screen) is just not true.
The BLU has a tinted screen protector, as DaveC knows, so will never appear as bright in a photograph as the GP2X display. Even with this handicap, the BLU still shows more detail in Alex's photographs than the GP2X.
No way could his statement about not being able to tell if it was switched on be taken seriously by anyone who has looked at the images in this thread or compared the two side-by-side.
I have one BLU and two BLU+s and on all three the black is like looking into the pupil of an eye. I can only assume DaveC's device is faulty.
If you were serious about getting one I say 'go for it'. Get a BLU. Don't be put off by the rumours about its display.

As a guru DaveC's opinion should carry more weight than that of us mere mortals but what he says (regarding the BLU screen) is just not true.
If you were serious about getting one I say 'go for it'. Get a BLU. Don't be put off by the rumours about its display.

Must you always throw this kind of derrogatory remarks in your posts? I don't know what your problem is but if you can't argue without comments such as this I would recommend not posting. It is this kind of crap that starts flame wars for no reason. This suggestion is comming from an uber l337 Guru to a mere mortal so maybe stop being such a dickhead ;)

As far as the screen there is a slight gamma problem on the Gp2X M2 making darks a bit darker than they should be. So it is not perfect, never said it was. That said the screen on the BLU or BLU+ is very washed out, the colors are pale and faded, it is dim, and the black level mediocre. Since the black is not as black and the brights not as bright the contrast is not near as good. Both screens have their quirks but I will take the screen on the M2 anyday. No I don't have a dodgy unit either, I have seen others.

IMAGE03.png

To compare better try taking a picture of the GP2X when a pure white screen is showing like through t-mode (comparing a white screen to a yellow one is not a good comparison). You can then compare the white GP2X screen with the white GP32 white opening screen for brightness. Then take a picture of the GP2X with black on-t-mode and the GP32 by selecting "play" with no SMC in it, it will give a black screen with an error message and you can compare black level.

If you really want to go nuts you can get my image made for the LCD tweaker and display the same pic through a pic viewer on both. I was actually going to do all this someday bet never got around to it.

Nice photo skills jmetal88. Did you mask out the machines or was it taken in the dark ?

It was taken in the dark.

Could we have one with the same image on both?

Sure... give me a few minutes, though, and a little time to get some batteries in my camera (part of the reason why the photo is so small is I took it through the live capture program on my computer).

IMAGE03.png

To compare better try taking a picture of the GP2X when a pure white screen is showing like through t-mode (comparing a white screen to a yellow one is not a good comparison). You can then compare the white GP2X screen with the white GP32 white opening screen for brightness. Then take a picture of the GP2X with black on-t-mode and the GP32 by selecting "play" with no SMC in it, it will give a black screen with an error message and you can compare black level.

If you really want to go nuts you can get my image made for the LCD tweaker and display the same pic through a pic viewer on both. I was actually going to do all this someday bet never got around to it.

You got it, Dave. I'll get the image on there ASAP, and I'll take another pic (but at a higher res this time).

Also, I'm comparing the other two machines here, not the two in the first comparison, but the Mk. I First Edition GP2X and the normal non-plus BLU.

I'll be back in a bit with the pics.

That can't be right.

I'll have to try this one myself later today.

Back