Phoneme And Wonderswan Emus?

hyperion64

Still Fresh
I know, I know. We Caanoo owners already have thousands of other games to choose from, but still, when I used to have a Wiz I found some great games on these emulators that I would love to play again on the Caanoo. I would try to port them...but I don't know how! hehe.
I still think it was a dumb idea for GPH to not keep the same firmware for both Wiz and Caanoo. Then again, they're the ones that have the money to produce stuff, and I don't.

Hi all! I agree with you on getting these other emulators onto the caanoo, i would love to see these ported someday to.

But i wonder if more is always a better thing?

Considering some of the current emulators are still quite weak, like C64, 32X, GBA emu's for example, maybe someone with the coding skills would be better of improving what we already have before looking at other emulator ports.

I find it frustrating to see the PSX emulator running games better then the C64 emulator on the caanoo.
Both C64 emu's have issues for example, making a lot of stuff unplayable, or very jerky. At least when a psx game slows down it's still playable, but try play a 2d scroller on the c64 emu and a lot of times it jerks and stutters, making it totally unplayable.

I can play Ridge Racer PSX at full speed on my caanoo, but i can't play a 1mhz C64 game like Impossible Mission due to emu bugs and jerkyness. Something is not right with some of the current caanoo software.
GBA emulations needs work to, sound is poor on most games.

I really think work should be done on optimizing some current emu's before anything else is ported. Just my opinion though and each to there own.

One example would be the current Jaguar emu, it's been ported but all games are unplayable cause they run to slow. So we have another emu that is really of no use to anyone, could that coders time of been better spent say, making the current 32X/GBA/C64 etc emulation better then what we have atm? Then to have another emu we can't use cause of a bad/quick port!

And if someone was to port these new emu's, i hope a little more time is spent on the port to begin with. I don't think anyone would mind waiting a little longer for a better end result.
I just see the term "quick port" used so many times on most of the caanoo software, while very thankful, i just don't see the point of porting something in the first place when in the end, it only half works.

Sorry if i sound like a downer, not my intention at all. Again i would like to see PhoneMe, Lynx emu's etc ported sometime also.
But i would much prefer to see the efforts of the coders going into making what we already have better, rather then another quick unoptimized port of something else.

Han.

PS: Thanks again to all the coders and there efforts so far. I apologize if i seemed to rant on a bit, just trying to but my point across that's all. TY:)

Hansel75 said:
Hi all! I agree with you on getting these other emulators onto the caanoo, i would love to see these ported someday to.

But i wonder if more is always a better thing?

Considering some of the current emulators are still quite weak, like C64, 32X, GBA emu's for example, maybe someone with the coding skills would be better of improving what we already have before looking at other emulator ports.

I find it frustrating to see the PSX emulator running games better then the C64 emulator on the caanoo.
Both C64 emu's have issues for example, making a lot of stuff unplayable, or very jerky. At least when a psx game slows down it's still playable, but try play a 2d scroller on the c64 emu and a lot of times it jerks and stutters, making it totally unplayable.

I can play Ridge Racer PSX at full speed on my caanoo, but i can't play a 1mhz C64 game like Impossible Mission due to emu bugs and jerkyness. Something is not right with some of the current caanoo software.
GBA emulations needs work to, sound is poor on most games.

I really think work should be done on optimizing some current emu's before anything else is ported. Just my opinion though and each to there own.

One example would be the current Jaguar emu, it's been ported but all games are unplayable cause they run to slow. So we have another emu that is really of no use to anyone, could that coders time of been better spent say, making the current 32X/GBA/C64 etc emulation better then what we have atm? Then to have another emu we can't use cause of a bad/quick port!

And if someone was to port these new emu's, i hope a little more time is spent on the port to begin with. I don't think anyone would mind waiting a little longer for a better end result.
I just see the term "quick port" used so many times on most of the caanoo software, while very thankful, i just don't see the point of porting something in the first place when in the end, it only half works.

Sorry if i sound like a downer, not my intention at all. Again i would like to see PhoneMe, Lynx emu's etc ported sometime also.
But i would much prefer to see the efforts of the coders going into making what we already have better, rather then another quick unoptimized port of something else.

Han.

PS: Thanks again to all the coders and there efforts so far. I apologize if i seemed to rant on a bit, just trying to but my point across that's all. TY:)

Nah, it doesn't sound like downer, I agree that it's better to have a "complete" project that takes longer than just a quick port. But sadly, that seems to be the most common thing done, and pretty much the only nowadays. It seems kind of hard to continue both 32x and GBA emulation as their authors have shown disinterest in continue them. I don't know much about C64 emulation since I'm more of a Spectrum guy, but I suspect it's the same thing. So yeah...the only thing we can pretty much look forward to is more quick ports. So while we're at it, Phoneme, Wonderwan, and Lynx quick ports would not hurt to have.

Like you said, people are quick to judge too, so I'm clear that I'm grateful too, I know coding takes a lot of time, even quick ports, but this is supposed to be the section for wishes, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back