Petit Computer

The Pandora is one.
Truth spoken.

However, honestly I would so LOVE a cute little programming IDE that has cute little icons and graphics, with a giant fucking RUN button. As a very not-programmer artist potentially curious about toying with code as a hobby ... Petit computer looks incredibly attractive.

I'm sure the majority of programmers here would turn their noses up at the idea though -_-

Beware the BASIC variant, my son,

The poorly defined specifications that annoy, the missing functions that catch

you out. Beware the PICAXE IDE, and shun
The incredibly overly inefficient and verbose performancesnatch!

He took his model M in hand:
Long time the runtime bug he sought—
So learn'd he to code in C,
And stood awhile in thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
C is for REAL programmers.

I'm not one of them.

I want cute buttons and quick feedback.

I want an IDE for artists.

Beware the BASIC variant, my son,

The poorly defined specifications that annoy, the missing functions that catch

you out. Beware the PICAXE IDE, and shun

The incredibly overly inefficient and verbose performancesnatch!

He took his model M in hand:

Long time the runtime bug he sought—

So learn'd he to code in C,

And stood awhile in thought.
I think you are missing the whole point of Petit Computer.  Anything that helps non-programmers create games and apps quickly and easily has got to be a good thing.

Who cares if it's C or not. C isn't the be all and end all of coding languages. The reason other languages exist is because C isn't the be all and end all of coding languages.

You don't percieve anything comic in my mutilation of Mr Dodgeson's masterpiece?

Doesn't the fact that I suggested scratch make you happy?

no? :(

i) I haven't heard of Mr Dodgeson and I'm sure I'm not the only one that didn't get the reference.

ii) I've never used scratch so haven't got a clue about that either.

But whatever.

i) I haven't heard of Mr Dodgeson and I'm sure I'm not the only one that didn't get the reference.
I am somewhat proud of the fact that I'm directly descended from the Reverend Dodgson, though somewhat less proud of the fact that he had a ... predilection ... for pre-teenage girls, and found mature women terrifying. But there you go.

He also wrote Alice in Wonderland and the above poem is a re-working of the famous Bandersnatch passage.

ii) I've never used scratch so haven't got a clue about that either.

But whatever.
You're not missing anything.

Besides, PandaBAS is all anyone really needs.

Who cares if it's C or not. C isn't the be all and end all of coding languages. The reason other languages exist is because C isn't the be all and end all of coding languages.
I suspect that C is the Bell-end of all programming languages :)

D.

• I mentioned C because it is a 'real' programming language and fits the rhyme scheme, not because I think its wonderful
  • I suggested scratch on the basis of the below quote
I would so LOVE a cute little programming IDE that has cute little icons and graphics, with a giant fucking RUN button
  • calm down :)

I suspect that C is the Bell-end of all programming languages :)
I have used worse, although you're not far wrong! :p
I've packaged the worst language to the Pandora.. even its official mascot of the language isn't enthusiastic about its language..

preview.jpg

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=Regina-REXX-3.6

I picked up Jabberwocky straight away. Then again, I've read Douglas Hofstadters "Gödel, Escher, Bach; an Eternal Golden Braid" so many times backwards and forwards that I am completely brainwashed.

And if any of you haven't done that yet, you should. It is the best computer science book ever written about a dutch painter and a german composer. There is a qoute by someone (whose name I've currently forgotten) which goes something like "When people ask me what the best book is for learning programming, I answer 'Alice in Wonderland', but that is because it is the best book for anything" (see how I got good old Dodgson in there?), but I'd replace Dodgson with Donald.

EDIT: Alan Perlis, of course: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/alanperlis177342.html

I am somewhat proud of the fact that I'm directly descended from the Reverend Dodgson, though somewhat less proud of the fact that he had a ... predilection ... for pre-teenage girls, and found mature women terrifying. But there you go.
I don't think you have to worry about that much, that stuff is pretty exaggerated or outright unfounded:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Carroll#Controversies_and_mysteries
Oh, it's well known in our family that he wasn't a paedophile - but he did have an inability to converse effectively with (or just be in the same room as) post-pubescent females. One half of the family (those descended from the Lewis line, who later married into Dodgson's line) maintained that he had an unsavoury relationship with Alice, the other half just maintain he was odd.

Strange thing is that very few of them (from talking to great-grandparents many years ago) could see his achievements for their merit and dwelt instead on perceived shortcomings. He was also a hell of a mathematician by all accounts.

D.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about what I was talking about. I'm not sure where it's available. I'll find out now.

EDIT: It's US and Japan only, but they're working on releasing it elsewhere.

Back