Perfect Sized Wifi Sd Card!!!!!!!!&#33

I saw this a few weeks back, pretty neat.

Only problem is that the drivers will probably be closed source.

How is this news anyway? Sandisk has been selling WiFi/Flash Storage SD card combo cards for years. PalmOne has a similar one, too. This supports 802.11g, not just B, but that's all that I see different. The issue, again, is drivers. The best WiFi solution will almost definitely remain USB 802.11x adapters.

Edit: Also bear in mind an SDIO WiFi adapter will destroy your battery life. A 2.4 GHz transmitter uses unbelievable amounts of power.

Epicenter posted on May 7 2006 at 01:19 PM said:
How is this news anyway? Sandisk has been selling WiFi/Flash Storage SD card combo cards for years. PalmOne has a similar one, too. This supports 802.11g, not just B, but that's all that I see different. The issue, again, is drivers. The best WiFi solution will almost definitely remain USB 802.11x adapters.

Edit: Also bear in mind an SDIO WiFi adapter will destroy your battery life. A 2.4 GHz transmitter uses unbelievable amounts of power.

It does not stick out, thats the news.

Last edited by a moderator:

Im not sure that you see the title for this thread....... :rolleyes:

reallynotnick posted on May 7 2006 at 01:21 PM said:

It does not stick out, thats the news.

Thank you for understanding the title, i hope that the drivers are open though........

Paradox posted on May 7 2006 at 04:09 PM said:
wasnt this exact same link posted a week ago or do i see into the future through my dreams?

deja vu(french for already seen) :blink:

lol this topic is the single most posted topic i have read this week...

I don't see that this is so 'perfect'. The SD-card slot is surrounded by grounded RF shielding to BLOCK interference from interfering with SD card reads/writes, but it will ALSO block the signal from the transmitter and keep the radio from recieving signals effectively. This is not 'perfectly sized' at all. The Sandisk models stuck out for a very good reason.

Epicenter posted on May 7 2006 at 05:32 PM said:
I don't see that this is so 'perfect'. The SD-card slot is surrounded by grounded RF shielding to BLOCK interference from interfering with SD card reads/writes, but it will ALSO block the signal from the transmitter and keep the radio from recieving signals effectively. This is not 'perfectly sized' at all. The Sandisk models stuck out for a very good reason.

*Looks at opening at the top of his gp2x* Nothing there
The memory is always at the pin side of the card forcing the WiFi to be on the other side

The good reason was there was no room in an SD card.

In this new card, the transmitter is clearly within the card itself so it will be succeptible to signal blocking by the shielding. Of course it's not visible outside the machine, it's all on the inside.

People need to stop posting these and just tell me when it is easy and inexpensive to access the net on the GP2x using wifi.

reallynotnick posted on May 7 2006 at 04:53 PM said:
Epicenter posted on May 7 2006 at 05:32 PM said:

*Looks at opening at the top of his gp2x* Nothing there
The memory is always at the pin side of the card forcing the WiFi to be on the other side

The good reason was there was no room in an SD card.

You are right, they say something on that link about putting the Wifi and 1GB of flash on the same chip, I think that is why the other ones are so big. :)

Epicenter posted on May 8 2006 at 04:20 PM said:
In this new card, the transmitter is clearly within the card itself so it will be succeptible to signal blocking by the shielding. Of course it's not visible outside the machine, it's all on the inside.

Ahem, this card didn't look to be *quite* as small as a standard SD, which already sticks out the top of the GP2X, I am pretty sure it isn't totally shielded, the top end of the card is likely to be the antenna. And the slot we are using doesn't reach all the way around the top of the SD card anyway.

tshroom posted on May 8 2006 at 09:01 PM said:
People need to stop posting these and just tell me when it is easy and inexpensive to access the net on the GP2x using wifi.

I am sorry for more posting, but I am pretty sure easy and inexpensive is going to be a USB gadget bundled with it's own battery pack.

A little better would be an internal/new backplate with the Wifi and more batteries/better batteries inside already.

It is likely Way too damn expensive to expect everybody to buy a certain wierd SD slot device.

Off topic, I know where a surplus store has a few boxes full of SD card Cameras for a reasonable price :) :D But no drivers so no point :p

USB all the way it looks like.

Edit, I meant camera devices that go in the SD slot of PDA devices, just to clear up any confusion.

Back