1gb Sd-wifi Card Looks Interesting

It'd be really depressing if someone got a driver put together for one of these, and a working open-source SDIO implementation, and it turned out to be broken in the MMSP2 like SD-DMA is. :p

Also, why a WiFi adapter for a CAMERA? I hear a lot about cameras with WiFi in the works-- WHY?! Saving photos on a computer nearby? Who takes pictures so close to their house that they save them on their own hard drive? And if you're so close will you really fill up 1GB on an SD card (2,000 high-quality photos, roughly..) and be unable to walk over to their PC and dump the contents onto a hard drive? The only other use I can see is printing right to a WiFi-connected printer, but with the cost of ink cartridges and photo-quality paper, I'd really want to preview the images on a real monitor, not a tiny 2-inch LCD with a miniscule resolution, before I go printing anything.

Epicenter posted on Oct 4 2006 at 01:17 PM said:
Also, why a WiFi adapter for a CAMERA? I hear a lot about cameras with WiFi in the works-- WHY?! Saving photos on a computer nearby? Who takes pictures so close to their house that they save them on their own hard drive? And if you're so close will you really fill up 1GB on an SD card (2,000 high-quality photos, roughly..) and be unable to walk over to their PC and dump the contents onto a hard drive? The only other use I can see is printing right to a WiFi-connected printer, but with the cost of ink cartridges and photo-quality paper, I'd really want to preview the images on a real monitor, not a tiny 2-inch LCD with a miniscule resolution, before I go printing anything.

Because it would be good if you had a device which was a pmp and a games machine in one which you could connect an external hardrive to and then send your images wirelessly from your camera to you pmp/games device to free up space on your camera which would be really effective when you're away from the computer ...edit: like 2000 miles :p

Last edited by a moderator:
He posted this thread for the prospect of accessing WiFi networks with the GP2X, not accessing a camera, but whatever. I don't see the logic in that, as then you need a new expensive WiFi-enabled camera, and you need an SDIO WiFi adapter for your GP2X, to copy pictures? Isn't that a bit ridiculous when most cameras use SD cards and you can just plug those straight into the GP2X? And in the end you can only have 1 SD card in the GP2X, so if you are copying photos FROM your camera TO the GP2X they have to be stored on the 1GB storage of the WiFi card, since there is under 32MB of space free to use on the GP2X's NAND memory. Which begs the question, if you have 1GB of SD storage why wouldn't you just put it in the camera in the first place. :lol:

There are already a few digital cameras with built in wifi but they are expensive. One camera just eliminates the use of a usb cable (not entirely since the connection time is so fucking slow) a couple you can submit them directly on to a website.

I bought a new camera not-so-long ago, settled with a reasonably cheap Samsung 8.1MP thing. But I did a lot of catalogue browsing before hand, and I also completely failed to see the benefit in having a wi-fi camera. I thought about it for quite some time, too. I think just plugging the SD card into a PC and copying everything over to the HDD is really fast. And that "Well, what if you don't have a card reader?" argument is ridiculous. A fair bunch of modern PCs come with readers built in. My printer has a reader built in. And when my printer is plugged into my computer, my computer can use my printer's reader! Also, readers are really cheap anyway. Cheaper than the cost of buying a camera /w wi-fi compared to buying one without. I'm assuming it's another part of that ideological wire-free home, like I see on the PC World adverts, with some woman sitting out in the garden, in the sun, wearing a hat with a large brim, with a laptop resting under her hands, wirelessly connected. Then there are the children, with identicall smiles on their faces, with computers in their rooms, all connected together thanks to wireless networking [insert ideological jingle here].

I'd like to think that most of us here are better than that. We can live with our cables, right? It's just a camera! I can't imagine sitting down and entering my WPA details into a camera just to connect it to my network and swag some photos off it using that ridiculous Samba protocol-thing. Actually, my router has wi-fi turned off right now. I only put it on if friends come round with their PSPs and ask me to......

clone posted on Oct 4 2006 at 01:45 PM said:
It's just a camera! I can't imagine sitting down and entering my WPA details into a camera just to connect it to my network and swag some photos off it using that ridiculous Samba protocol-thing.
was just about to say this-- took the words out of my mouth. I can't imagine entering all that damn configuration info with a Camera's controls which can make entering the DATE difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
About using this to interface with a camera over wifi: you could store the pictures on an external USB drive connected with the GP2X - if you need to take a serious amount of pictures (plus have a handy, if low resolution way to review them right there), it wouldn't work out too bad. I think the question this raises, is if you're going to use USB anyway, why buy a more expensive SD slot wifi adapter than plugging both in a hub?

Wi-fi in a camera could be used to send the pictures you take via e-mail to other people, the issue would be entering their e-mail adresses on the thing. It could also be useful to automatically synchronize your camera with an online pictures archive, such as flickr and the likes.

I think that's expensive because it's new... there's little advantage by having it wireless which certainly don't worth that money, BUT, when you're travelling in a foreign country (just for example, it could be another city) and you need to unload your shiny new pictures, it's probably easier to find a wireless access point than an internet ave (is that the name?) which do have a SD reader and it's also a lot more portable not having to hang around with your USB data cable together, so for the tourist one maybe a way to go

Back