Pdf Viewer

sparkymark

Website
Visit site
Hmmmm,

I thought it came with a per viewer enabled. I think it does but I have managed to make pdfs use abiword by default and it crashes. When I goto openwith the pdf viewer is not there. Help please I want to view pdfs that's one of the main reasons I bought it

Which pdf viewer is included and can you give an example pdf file which makes it crash? There numerous pdf viewers available for Linux. So I wouldn't be all that worried about not being able to view pdfs.

Surkow said:
Which pdf viewer is included and can you give an example pdf file which makes it crash? There numerous pdf viewers available for Linux. So I wouldn't be all that worried about not being able to view pdfs.

The one which is shown on the pandora video by evildragon, it looks as though it was supposed to be included in the build? It's loading up abiword (without a PDF plugin I better add) which is why it iscrashing/not opening.

If this is the case, any idea which pdfviewer to get?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure which pdf viewers are available for Ångström. I use Evince in Gnome, Kpdf or Okular in KDE and sometimes Xpdf when I want to open more versions of the same pdf. There is also the normal Adobe pdf reader...but I doubt it will run on an ARM device like the Pandora.

Surkow said:
I'm not sure which pdf viewers are available for Ångström. I use Evince in Gnome, Kpdf or Okular in KDE and sometimes Xpdf when I want to open more versions of the same pdf. There is also the normal Adobe pdf reader...but I doubt it will run on an ARM device like the Pandora.

Cheers - I guess EvilDragon can answer this quite easily if he reads it

Looking at the installed packages list here. There does not seem to be a PDF viewer pre-installed.

maybe it can be suggested to OPT to include evince or something in a future firmware. PDF support should be standard.

I think I'm going to choose to disagree. My stance may change provided my argument isn't solid enough. But, I think that a PDF viewer is one of those things that there are 24,000 of for Linux. Each flavor is a little different than the others. I think leaving the choice of PDF viewer up to the end user is a good move here. I'd rather have that space on the NAND used for more libraries, and let me choose a PDF viewer to use as a PND.

mindlord said:
I think I'm going to choose to disagree. My stance may change provided my argument isn't solid enough. But, I think that a PDF viewer is one of those things that there are 24,000 of for Linux. Each flavor is a little different than the others. I think leaving the choice of PDF viewer up to the end user is a good move here. I'd rather have that space on the NAND used for more libraries, and let me choose a PDF viewer to use as a PND.
Actually, for Angstrom right now, there's two: evince and poppler. Evince takes up about 300K of space. You might get one extra library on by not including it. By your logic they would have been better off not including Abiword or any web browser, which are both much larger and have a greater selection of alternatives.
At the least, since we do have Abiword, the PDF plugin should be installed. PDFs are prevalent enough, I think, that they should just simply open without needing to download anything.

WizardStan said:
mindlord said:
Actually, for Angstrom right now, there's two: evince and poppler. Evince takes up about 300K of space. You might get one extra library on by not including it. By your logic they would have been better off not including Abiword or any web browser, which are both much larger and have a greater selection of alternatives.
At the least, since we do have Abiword, the PDF plugin should be installed. PDFs are prevalent enough, I think, that they should just simply open without needing to download anything.
That was in fact the direction I was hedging. Include no applications at all in the base install. Strip it all the way down until it's nothing but Minimenu, X11, Networking, configuration scripts, mousepad (notepad), some sort of Pandora Store interface, and a smackload of libraries. That way it's nothing but freedom of choice. I'd love to see an Official firmware like that.

Obviously it's a bit too early in the game for all that, but eventually. Seems like the logical evolutionary step.

NickLoTurco said:
So what PDF viewer do we all agree is the most stable?
Just try all of them and choose your favorite. Evince, ePDFview, etc...

I haven't received my Pandora yet so can't provide you with a detailed instruction. There should be a package manager with GUI (otherwise use ipkg with CUI).

sparkymark said:
http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/?pkgname=evince

which one?????
2.28 is still unstable, I'd recommend you to start with 2.24.
And I personally prefer this tool: http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/?pkgname=epdfview

many thanks but which available version - there seems to be a ton for different devices:

epdfview 0.1.7-r0.5 for armv4t (Ångström unstable armv4t base feed)
epdfview 0.1.7-r0.5 for armv6 (Ångström unstable armv6 base feed)
epdfview 0.1.7+svnr346-r0.5 for armv5te (Ångström unstable armv5te base feed)
epdfview 0.1.7+svnr346-r0.5 for armv7a (Ångström unstable armv7a base feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r3.1 for arm-oabi (Ångström 2008.6 glibc arm-oabi architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r3.1 for armv4t (Ångström 2008.6 glibc armv4t architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r3.1 for armv5te (Ångström 2008.6 glibc armv5te architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r3.1 for armv5teb (Ångström 2008.6 glibc armv5teb architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r3.1 for armv6 (Ångström 2008.6 glibc armv6 architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r3.1 for armv6-novfp (Ångström 2008.6 glibc armv6-novfp architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r3.1 for armv7a (Ångström 2008.6 glibc armv7-a architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r3.1 for avr32 (Ångström 2008.6 uClibc avr32 architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r3.1 for i586 (Ångström 2008.6 glibc i586 architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r3.1 for ppc405 (Ångström 2008.6 glibc ppc405 architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r3.1 for ppc603e (Ångström 2008.6 glibc ppc603e architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r3 for arm-oabi (Ångström 2008.6 uClibc arm-oabi architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r3 for armv4t (Ångström 2008.6 uClibc armv4t architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r3 for armv5teb (Ångström 2008.6 uClibc armv5teb architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r3 for ppc405 (Ångström 2008.6 uClibc ppc405 architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r3 for ppc603e (Ångström 2008.6 uClibc ppc603e architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r2 for arm-oabi (Ångström 2007.12 glibc arm-oabi architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r2 for armv4t (Ångström 2007.12 glibc armv4t architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r2 for armv5te (Ångström 2008.6 uClibc armv5te architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r2 for armv5te (Ångström 2007.12 glibc armv5te architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r2 for armv5teb (Ångström 2007.12 glibc armv5teb architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r2 for armv6 (Ångström 2008.6 uClibc armv6 architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r2 for ppc405 (Ångström 2007.12 glibc ppc405 architecture base feed feed)
epdfview 0.1.6-r2 for ppc603e (Ångström 2007.12 glibc ppc603e architecture base feed feed)

The armv7a one.
Go for the stable release (the stable say "base feed" and the unstable say "unstable". Not that the unstable are necessarily bad, they just haven't been tested and proven working like the base feed has.)

WizardStan said:
The armv7a one.
Go for the stable release (the stable say "base feed" and the unstable say "unstable". Not that the unstable are necessarily bad, they just haven't been tested and proven working like the base feed has.)

great thanks for this. umm how do I install it - when I view the file on the Pandora, it offers me no choice of anything to open it with :(

I'd be quite interested in the PDF reading capabilities of the Pandora myself, since this is really something I'd like to do with it. I tried to read PDF on my PSP but the need to scroll horizontally all the time is a pain. I think that the Pandora's screen size is the same, but since the resolution is higher, ther's hope that the text will be readable even when displaying an entire page (at least its full width).

Thanks for any feedback :)

Back