PDF and eBook functionality on the pandora

Pandora screen is very eye friendly.

Not as bright as other screens (if brightness is set on minimum).

All other devices hurt my eyes after playing a lot, Pandora doesn't.

Use it for reading all my University PDF books and never printed a script the teacher gave us.

I learn stuff using my Pandora screen.

No ebook experience.

This is a massive necropost, i'm sorry about that, but i'm about to buy a Sony ebook reader for reading PDFs. Do you think i should? Or is the pandora just as good at reading PDFs? Because i have a Lot of files to read, i'd be using either rather intensively.
what do you want to read ? PDFs with 95% text content (like fiction) or with charts an tables (technical documentation/scientific papers) ? If the latter I would not recommend the sony ebook reader, as he is able to really zoom, but depending on the specific document can be very slow - an Onyx Boox M92 would be the better solution. Otherwise (as others already pointed out) the reading experience is way better with an eInk device.

Does the FBReader Have the ability to have the Pandora read to you, in the way that a Kindle can?  Would be cool if it does!

Also, where are you all getting EBooks?  I'd love to know if Amazon will let you buy and download EBooks to your computer, rather than to a Kindle, likewais Barnes & Noble letting you download to your computer rather than a Nook....or is there some other site?

Link to FBReader, by the way...

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=FBReader

I just added Coolreader, it's full feature eBook reader, that can give FBReader some competition ;)

No Text2Speech on Coolreader 3 (Text2speech was feature on Coolreader 2, but it's Windows only, and I can't use Winlib here, because Text2speech is not implemented in winelib IIRC).

Note that the Pandora can't be compare with an eInk eBook reader for serious reading, eInk has no match (except paper maybe), as many other have already said so...

There are a lot of computer related books available on: 

http://hackershelf.com

It links to the sites you can view or d/l the books from.

Most offer a .PDF version for download.

Does the FBReader Have the ability to have the Pandora read to you, in the way that a Kindle can?  Would be cool if it does!

Also, where are you all getting EBooks?  I'd love to know if Amazon will let you buy and download EBooks to your computer, rather than to a Kindle, likewais Barnes & Noble letting you download to your computer rather than a Nook....or is there some other site?

Link to FBReader, by the way...

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=FBReader
You can access kindle content on the Pandora via the Kindle Cloud Reader in Firefox.  It may take a few minutes to get going as you'll probably want to save the reader for offline access,  but once you've done that it works pretty well.

- Neelix

I had the Kindle app on my old Android phone, not installed to current one though.

Did like the fact it saves your page for continued reading later on.

Kindle screens are pretty amazing though, when they in the shops new they come with an on-screen label which you will go to peel off thinking it is a sticker :)

Does notaz's Android PND allow for the Android Kindle app to run on Pandora?

Back