Pdaxrom

chalen

Still Fresh
pdaXrom, for those who do not know, is an open source distro of Linux specially designed to run on a phyCORE-XScale(ARM) Single Board Computers and It's been known to run on others. It run fairly well these days and has a lot to offer( emulators, PIM, apps and games).

Anyways, I don't see pandora having too much trouble running pdaXrom and was thinking that it might speed up the development of pandora and i'm sure their is some people over there that would love to get there hands on some new hardware...

any thoughts?

A stripped version would work really really well.

Personally i would take that distro and strip it down to absolute basics, to save up on RAM usage.

I am presuming this screen shot is of the correct distro? (i have not used it myself)

img015.jpe

it looks pretty clean, but i thought they were at first going to release it with a CLI, instead of a full window based GUI?

C.Halen said:
pdaXrom, for those who do not know, is an open source distro of Linux specially designed to run on a phyCORE-XScale(ARM) Single Board Computers and It's been known to run on others. It run fairly well these days and has a lot to offer( emulators, PIM, apps and games).

Anyways, I don't see pandora having too much trouble running pdaXrom and was thinking that it might speed up the development of pandora and i'm sure their is some people over there that would love to get there hands on some new hardware...

any thoughts?
I had an old version of it installed on my Zaurus C-1000, and for its purpose it worked well. I heard that at the time, it had many modifications for the different Zaurus models and it had an older kernel than the open embedded (openmoko, Ångström) one at the time. Look for the OS-related part of this
Zaurus forum for more info on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
As with michield I'm familiar with this from my Zaurus days (can't say I use my 5000D much these days though). It definitely has some good points, but it's lack of activity and X11/Zaurus focus probably wouldn't make it my choice to base much for the Pandora on. Not with the more active alternatives.

I have talked to some of the developers in the past and they always seem to take the point of view of wanting to just develop the back end of pdaXrom a leave the dev of apps and thing to the open source community. I would think that giving a new juicy piece of hardware would light a fire under there @$$es. and for a light version I think (when i owned one) the Z cl-3000 only had 16 megs NAND ROM to boot from... but then would load apps from the hdd.

I just can't help but think that pdaXrom modified could do quite a lot on pandora(most of what i think it was intended to). My only thought is that the user friendliness would have to be thought out...

Just some thoughts

good stuff

I have talked to some of the developers in the past and they always seem to take the point of view of wanting to just develop the back end of pdaXrom a leave the dev of apps and thing to the open source community. I would think that giving a new juicy piece of hardware would light a fire under there @$$es.

There are application developers and there are system developers, people are interested in different things. I'm certainly interested in system development - working out how to use the DSP for audio and video decoding (and writing the code to do it), how the video drivers will work, etc., but have little interest in writing (or even playing) games. Though proof of concept apps are a different matter - it's nice to see that what you've been working on actually works.

I don't know how it is now, but pdaXrom was for the most part developed by just one chap, his day-job work load increased and the development of pdaXrom stalled. It may now have recovered, but unless the project structure has changed, it will still consist of relatively few developers. The OpenEmbedded based distros (e.g. Angstrom) are a better bet imo as there are more developers - this means that the loss of one person shouldn't be as big a hindrance, and also that there may actually be someone already involved who is interested in what you are (and who may be willing and able to help, etc.)

Just my 2p's worth.

And, one of the devs has stated that he tried playing around with OpenEmbedded's bitbake rules to get it working on pandora. Beagleboard config file already is included, copying it and adding information about screen size and touchscreen should be enough to get it right.

Then it's just a matter of compile time (and possibly a bit of debugging to get it to compile, last time I tried :-/) to get a root filesystem image.

Back