PC Link is bloody useless.

Duddyroar

Website
www.vc-reviews.com
It is just me, or does the PC Link process suck for anyone else? Most of the time Windows fails to recognise the GP32 via the USB cable, so I have to keep unplugging the cable and switching the GP32 on and off until it does, then when I do manage to fire up PC Link, 50% of the time I get 'Timed Out' errors. Sometimes I'll be in the middle of installing or downloading a file to the GP32 and it'll suddenly cut out.

Should it be this inconsistant? I'm using the USB driver provided by GamePark themselves, it installed fine so I can't think of anything else to try.

I've heard the same thing. That's why I bought a cardreader. Plus, I'm using a Macintosh, so PC-Link is irrelevant, anyway. I'm going to use my bro's PC to register and set up the GP32, and then use the reader for everything else. I may try to run PC-Link via VirtualPC for testing purposes, but not for day-to-day use.

I find it very reliable, you shouldnt have that much trouble getting it to recognise your gp, must be an error of some kkind with your pc is my guess

I find it very reliable also. The only times I have problems is if I disconnect something in a weird way. If I get an error, a simple reboot almost always fixes the problem. I'm glad I don't have the problem often, as I hate rebooting!

;) my pc is a bit messy usb wise its fixed ina bios update but those thigns scare me. I sometimes get wat seems 2 b 'lazy usb' with my gp32 where i hav 2 swop it with another usb port 2 get it 2 recognise VERY ANNOYING as it means i hav 2 mess with the gr8 mess of cables behind my pc 2 switch the usb cables round :/ thats tends 2 sort out my problems.

Sometimes when I am copying ROMs (yes, only ROMs and I am suspicious that Pc-Link has some automatic ROM blacker that will give an error 1/2 way through the copy >:-|) it errs very suspicious, ONLY on ROMs.... :blink:

I have an AMD Via Chipset thingy. I'm also running my USB devices through a mini USB hub too and I've had *no* problems whatsoever using PC Link. From the day I had my GP32, it's worked fine.

I switched over to a card reader purely for the extra speed. :)

depends on ur chipset i'm on a via kt 333 or something along the 333 lines but an early 1 just got released when i bought my motherboard so yes i seem 2 hav a few very slight usb problems which can b annoying ;)

no problems here, it flashes fine every time.
winXP, AMD.

one note: i have a USB hub, i had errors using it through that.So, I plugged it directly into one of the 2 main USB ports in back of my PC and it's fine.

I'll try putting the cable into the other USB port and see if that makes a difference.

It's really, really annoying. Pretty much every time I download something I have to reboot about five times. :(

I hate PC Link, extremely unreliable.

Probably get a card reader. Can anyone else please make a GOOD GP32 transfer program? =P

Same here.

I had lots of problems when using PC Link.

Bought a cardreader, problems gone. And as a bonus a much, much higher transfer speed (I think somehwere near 1 MB per second)

My PC came with what looked like some kind of cheese grater add on under the floppy drive, loads of holes, weird looking thing. But upon closer inspection it seems to be some kind of multi format removable media reader, cool no need to get me a card reader :)

i have no problems with it...

make sure you shut down the GP32 USB device prior to unplugging.

timeout errors have only happened on my PC when I didn;t have the GP32 in link mode :eek:

The process I currently use is:

1) Plug in GP32 (PC is on)
2) Select Link mode in GP32 menu
3) Startup PC Link program on PC

When I turn the GP32 on, sometimes XP finds the GP32 and displays a 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Other times it will display a 'USB Device Not Recognised' dialogue in the bottom right of the screen. When it does this, an 'USB/PC Link' error will be displayed on the GP32 screen, and the only way round it is to turn off the GP32, unplug the cable and plug it back in again. Sometimes it takes a few goes before XP will recognise the GP32.

Dodgy cable? Dodgy USB port?

I might just sod it and get a card reader after all. Which is the best option when it comes to card readers?

Ive not had any problems with it, but i think the software itself just stinks

awkward to use, unfriendly as hell... and i HATE that damn 'explorer' style view

seriously, i hate it

i wanna just open the damn card as a folder and drag my files in thanks very much :angry:

Does the card readers do this? i may invest in one if they do

I have always had problems with my PC and the USB port under XP. Everything I use, my cardreader, Camera, Psion Wavefinder all freeze!!

However, the GP32 is faultless! Weird huh?

Try the newer XP usb driver for the GP32 - the official one from Gamepark (xp/2000) sucked for me. The replacement one on the download page worked straight off.

Also, don't forget, a card reader is all very well and good, but I cannot find a way to "Install" programs like Moviepark using a Card Reader. Still need to use PCLink (file>install), unless I have missed something?

As for PCLink freezing during rom transfer, I think that might be a red herring - never experienced it myself. Just put 157 nes roms onto my card with PC link, no problems. I don't think they put anything in to stop it ;)

My card reader came from MX2.org, btw. Reads 6 types of card for about £20. Also, the usb cable bit folds neatly into the case for transporting. Yummy.

Ade.

i wanna just open the damn card as a folder and drag my files in thanks very much

Does the card readers do this? i may invest in one if they do

Yes, the cards shows up in Windows as a new drive. So you can use it just like a harddrive. You can even run defragment your SMC.

Also the transfer speed is much faster. Somwhere near the 1MB per second range. Very handy for trasferrng movies.

Back