PC Engine CD Game?

Intruder

Website
www.quebarium.com
Hello folks!

Well i was wondering if it will be possible to run some of the PC Engine CD game? I was thinking that it could be possible by dumping the content of the CD into a SMC, of course if it is bigger than 128mb it wont work.

But i think it could be interesting.

well, hu-go (PC engine emu on PC's) could run ISO's - they had no soundtrack, but they were like a meg or so...

Mainly because some games were only available on PCE-CD. "Dracula X" for example.

It seems the game release on CD had more content like movies, etc... could be interesting and also i read that GPengince was using some part of Hugo so maybe it is possible.

Ohhh and if that work then maybe after that the PC-FX could be possible? (it only CD based if I remember correctly).

I made this suggestion a while ago (see my suggestions thread).

It's very possible, just depends on whether Black is in the mood or not. Music would likely be sacrificed tho, due to storage and CPU speed limitations on GP32. But still, it'd be amazing.

And some people here really should to research the PCE CD games, there were TONS of them, many of them very good, and not available in another format. You've really missed out on some good games if you miss out on PCE CD stuff.

Dracula X is the best known game, but there were many very good shooters, action games and RPG's etc.

Also - PC-FX, not happening. Ever. Totally different, and MUCH more powerful hardware than PCE. And requires far more storage space than SMC offer. Very few games on it anyway, no big loss. PCE-CD would offer many more good games and is actually possible on GP32.

bets games for PCE were (probably) released on CD-Rom - not in my opinion, but generally I'd suppose (I love the first gen stuff, rather)
advantages wee high framerates, and those cutscenes- lots of games had better soundtracks too i think. overall it was probably just a gimmick though!! This ushered in the whole CD-Rom format for consoles, really - sega was next to follow with their (disappointing) mega-cd (or sega CD in America). really, can ANYONE think of any must-have's for that system? bleccch (coming from a big sega fan...)

not going to happen on GP32 though

Shame really

MrT

It's totally possible on GP32. The PCE CD was a bare bones CD player, 1X (150kps) speed IIRC, and aside from extra RAM there was nothing else - once you have solid PCE emulation you pretty have what you need to run CD games too, aside from code to read data from the ISO's.

There's Super CD too, which was was still the same thing but more RAM.

SuperGrafx may be tricky, but I dunno - it wasn't much more powerful than the PCE actually. It basically had extra graphics abilities and that's all. Twice the sprites and an extra background layer in hardware. Nothing extra as far as CPU or sound. It's probablt doable on GP32 as well. In fact, it's similar to Genesis in a way.

So gald to hear. My m8s trumpeting on about Castlevainia AoS. But buying my GP has left me to skint to buy it so i was hoping to be playing DX and wave 2 figers in his face :) lets hope it happens soon

Dracula X: Rondo of Blood is a great game but compared to recent Castlevanias it looks a bit old. People tend to go on about it alot because it was never released in the West and the limited numbers of Japanese copies available mean the value is always high. If someone could get it working on the GP32 it would be great but without sound and cutscenes it would be a little pointless...once you start stripping stuff away you're not playing the game as the developers intended.

And Castlevania AoS rocks. :)

The three Castlevanias, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts and Metroid Fusion were the only things I got for my GBA. All good games, the early Castlevanias are dark, but still lots of fun.

Back