Parlez vouz francaise? Or how to use our Linux Device for Learning Languages

Ok, so i will load this also, i wonder if i could use these Speaking Training Software as Topic for a Video..
I have Anki on the Phytian, but i would suspect it also will work on Pyra, .. will try this out on weekend..

One of the best French words lacking in most other languages is enculer. So useful.
"enculé" it is :p the close relative "enfoiré" have no equivalent in english either (as far as I know)
I mean, the closest I know would be a**h*le, which, translated back to french would mean "trou du cul"... But that's at least 2 order of magnetude bellow these 2

Ditnt worked out until now, i was mostly watching Youtube and Streaming Series the last week, allthough i have now a few Packages on Anki on Phytium,

Im currently watching Vikings, and im a bit convused that the Anglo Saxians speak some sort of a Mixture of Old German and English..

English traces its roots to a dialect of Frisian so sounding a bit old German would not be far from the truth.
The people we call Anglo-Saxons were actually immigrants from northern Germany and southern Scandinavia. Bede, a monk from Northumbria writing some centuries later, says that they were from some of the most powerful and warlike tribes in Germany. Bede names three of these tribes: the Angles, Saxons and Jutes.
this is just after the Romans abandoned England. around 400AD
Post automatically merged:

Where did the Anglo-Saxons come from? - Children's British History  Encyclopedia

Wasnt the Abbay they invated on the second Episode in "Northhumpria"?
If i remember correctly from the Episode Select Screen they are also going to Paris some time.., so whe will hear the old french ..

I assume the titular vikings are the aforementioned vikings., which is a few centuries after the arrival of the saxons. Now northumberland is a stretch for the traditional home of anglo saxon culture, mercia, and you may have thought being so close to scotland they'd more likely be speaking gailic, but I'm not an expert in this period of histroy, so I dunno.

Would using the "Article au Hasard" feature on Wikipedia in French Language also work? So i get a Random Article and have to translate?

Wikipedia is fairly hard. And like I said, I'd recommended reading something with audio. If you read a lot more than you listen, your pronunciation can turn out wonky.

To learn languages I watch video in the language with subtitles in the same language. In fact I almost don't use videos for anything else. With a little patience you get used to read fast enough and match text and speech. It may depend on your skills though. If you're already good at reading or listening mabe you end up ignoring the other part. If you're too bad in both maybe it makes no sense at all. But as long as you enjoy the content it's no a big problem. It's no effort. In theory videos for kids could be easier, but I usually don't like them, so I prefer to watch something better even if I don't understand it all.

I wonder: When i open french magazines on the Readly App on Ipad in one window, and the browser whit maybe Google Translate or something simular to google the Words i dont know, would this also help? ,

I wonder: When i open french magazines on the Readly App on Ipad in one window, and the browser whit maybe Google Translate or something simular to google the Words i dont know, would this also help? ,
Errr... It depends ? If you read attentively the French version maybe. Looking up words in a dictionary, wiktionary or simlar certainly helps. Auto-translating whole chunks of text and looking only at the result does not.
Now again, if the French magazine subject was French language, then who knows? maybe translating whole chunks would help, if you really really pinky trust the translating tool.
But I have that feeling that if you need to try these you might benefit more for some more traditional classes or books or something.
Mais qu'est-ce que je sais ?

Oui je parle Francais et j'utilise Linux pour m'aider depuis long temps...

One of the first Linux scripts I wrote was a command line tool to look up words, but the cool thing was it remembered the words and had mode where it would spit out words at random useful for practicing and drilling them into your head. Great for increasing vocabulary fast. I have scripts for French, English and German.

For my daughter's entrance exam recently I found a dictionary app that has history. We'd practice words in the car on the way to school.... Her vocabulary spiked.

Vocabulary is much more important than grammar. In these European regions with multiple languages - such as Saarland and most of Switzerland - you can get by with very bad grammar. I mean, speaking completely broken German or French is almost expected. If your good at one language your expected to be bad at the other. This is good news because as a primarily English speaker I think grammar is stupid. Focus on vocab.

Last edited:
I don't know. I think vocabulary is easier to memorize. Grammar needs more lessons and exercises. But you really need to study only a little grammar before you can acquire grammar in everyday use and then you forget you're learning grammar, up to the point you couldn't explain why you say something in that way ('it just sounds/looks better so'). You normally need more vocabulary before you can make sense of what you read or hear. And people trying to help you understand them can often simplify grammar, but simplifying vocabulary isn't always so easy. I don't know. In any case English doesn't count. It's the more reckless language I know, there's very little grammar orthography or phonetics worth learning. Too many exceptions and just-because's.

I do it WITH translator PDA's so that Google will not be armed WITH knowledge about me. You can also do it WITH books. I use those too, when I want to get by WITH something low-tech.

Some say fancy grammar is there to oppress.
Post automatically merged:

I do it WITH translator PDA's so that Google will not be armed WITH knowledge about me. You can also do it WITH books. I use those too, when I want to get by WITH something low-tech.
I download entire public domain dictionaries.

I use Anki daily for language practice. Got basic reading literacy in Japanese (although vocabulary still needs work), and recently started (albeit deliberately slowly) working on Cyrillic and Hangul.

Well as Anki was not that motivating as i though, i plan now to use my Ipad OS Device, i got me the Duolingo App, and i plan to read some French Magazines provided from the Readly App, as the Ipad Air allready supports Multiple Windows, i could read the Magazine on a part of the Ipad Screen or on the whole screen and have a Internet Dictionary on my Small TV/Monitor on my Desk ..
I dont know if this would help, but its a plan..
Also i found finally the French Chansons from "Reinhard Mey" , a famous German Singer Songwriter, maybe these will also help to get a feeling for the language.. (alonge whit Charles Aznavour)..

Back