Parlez vouz francaise? Or how to use our Linux Device for Learning Languages

matzesu

Forum Addict!
Staff member
Well, i dont want to derail Ptisebs Thread more, so i decide to just make a new one..

My Situation: French in Shool for 10 Years (I had to continue the 3th Grade), but my French is worse than my English..
Whe went to French every year, until Corona, but to the wrong parts of French (there is the "Alsace") where lot of the older peaple also speak German
When i bough this property in "Wangenbourg Wolfsthal" (A verry french name), the Notair was speaking french, German, and Alsace Accent..

So i wonder if there is a solution to learn this language..

The stuff you said in the other Thread will get tryed

I was wondering who in their right mind would want to speak french out of his own free will. But the answer is you. Not shocking.
I had one year of it in school and i cant even explain my hatred for it.

Aaanyway. I am trying to learn some languages using duolingo, not sure what other pages or software is out there.
It has a bunch of flaws, cpu usage, nettraffic, but its not that you can complain about lessons offered for free.
And after all it just works in a browser, so it works on any device without hazzle.

My handle is Heinrich90458, friend me if you like.
Better yet take my invite , gives me a free week of nothing useful at all. (I have no idea what _plus_ is for actually)

Its more a "I should learn" not that much " i want"...
Some of our Customers are only speaking french, i have this property where i might have to deal whit the french gouverment some times (allthough they dont want money from me as the property fees arent that much).. (6 € or so a year)..

Under the newer Gouverment of french, the German Language Training in the Shool was getting canceled, so only the older Peaple on some parts are speaking a bit German..

If the older Peaple are gone, i have to deal whit the French Speaking Peaple.. ^^

Hmm... I would go for the French music like ballads where they pronounce clearly (not French Rap music, I do not understand French at rap speed). And just pick that up.
Then there is French manga online, which you can do from a browser. Not sure how comfortable it is.
There are some Games in French, like: thumb typing: https://play.typeracer.com/?universe=lang_fr
Learning French? Ask stuff in this half-english-half-french forum: https://www.reddit.com/r/French/

Want to read in French? Gutenberg!
For example: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13951

Not a reader? Like to watch?

TV Monde has a life stream with news (a bit boring but hey, it's French):

Lot's of French TV:

Not sure what this service is:

Last edited:
Much like I said, Anki, Youtube, French books about something that you like.

I love French. It is a great language worth learning. Instantly makes you sounds dignified and romantic. Right now I am about to learn Spanish. Spanish is just an ordinary language like all others but I stay a lot in Spain so I might as well learn the language.

Im quite near to the french "Border", i even could drive whit my E-Bike there,..
Might work. Go alone there, meet someone who doesn't speak German, and keep on seeing, texting, messaging each other often. Ideally you'd go outside Alsace, so that you easilier find German nonspeakers, but that's maybe too far for an e-bike trip.
Traveling with classmates makes it hard to really practice a different language.
But if you already studied French 10 years, maybe you should just find video or music content in French that you like, and make an habit of listening to it.I don't have very good source for that without geoblocking, sadly. And you'll get plenty of books in Project Gutemberg, of course. And there're webs and stuff to read.

Im not that communicative,
It’s a different thing if you just talk in your microphone and make a video, but I couldn’t meet whit peaple, expacly in French..

i found Duolingo a good site. I did a year of french my first year of highschool , too many years ago to contemplate.
i made a lot of progress learning esperanto with duolingo until i lost interest. I recently started again with french.
I like the way they teach.

If you already studied for 10 years at school, you probably don't need any courses.

I recommend using matching books + audiobooks. The text helps you to parse the audio and look up words, while the audio helps you to pronounce the text correctly when you're reading. If it's still too difficult, a translation can help too.

For learning to have conversations, Italki has some really good and low-cost tutoring available.

If you feel confident already about your basic French language skills there are already some good suggestion made in this thread. I'll try to add some of my own:

If you will encounter French people daily they'll happily only speak French to you, so you can have the opportunity to learn.
Bringing French in to practice is probably the best way to learn the language anyway. And if you are near French speaking people, maybe find a mate to spend time with?

My experience is that I can read and listen to the language, but until you actual have to convert all your thoughts into pronouncing the correct sentence the practice of your language skills will be mostly unused.
Also reality might not reflect the parts you actually need for your daily shop interactions. People will probably have similar requests for you: How are you? Do you have this product .... ? Can I pay with cash? What was the amount? Is there a toilet here?
So learning these requests and your reply will probably get you up and running for most situations.
There are probably some Youtube videos about shop interactions in French already. You can write these down, practice your reply and have a cheat-sheet on your counter just in case your forget something.

1648626309431.png

A long time ago i wrote a perl script "wwwebster" that looked up words online and remembered them so if i ran it with no parameters it would select a random word so I could practice vocabulary on the bus. I later did an off-iine version for my zaurus. That was cool.

Recently I've used google translate (app - but website might work too) to communicate with my korean in-laws. If you set it to voice and full screen you can dictate a phrase then show the translation. They would do the same thing to me on their phones. This is a practical workflow that worked remarkably. Pretty clever for a change, google.

I also tried to learn korean by the "rosetta" software which uses text, sound and images to introduce a language organically. It was really good. I quickly memorized the alphabet (which is phonetic) then tried to show off by reading things. My pronunciation threw them off though, they weren't used to foreign accents so didn't really try to understand me (and sometimes laughed). So I halted my korean studies immediately. Their loss. I'm not interested ordering korea food btw (fish in everything i just go for kappa maki)

Can't comment on learning french though. I did it the easy way, lived in Paris when I was a child.

If you feel confident already about your basic French language skills there are already some good suggestion made in this thread. I'll try to add some of my own:

If you will encounter French people daily they'll happily only speak French to you, so you can have the opportunity to learn.
Bringing French in to practice is probably the best way to learn the language anyway. And if you are near French speaking people, maybe find a mate to spend time with?

My experience is that I can read and listen to the language, but until you actual have to convert all your thoughts into pronouncing the correct sentence the practice of your language skills will be mostly unused.
Also reality might not reflect the parts you actually need for your daily shop interactions. People will probably have similar requests for you: How are you? Do you have this product .... ? Can I pay with cash? What was the amount? Is there a toilet here?
So learning these requests and your reply will probably get you up and running for most situations.
There are probably some Youtube videos about shop interactions in French already. You can write these down, practice your reply and have a cheat-sheet on your counter just in case your forget something.
This is where Duolingo works well.. I have only English to French experience here but i would expect the teaching method to be the same from German to French, etc.
its a free website based learning also.
first they introduce a new word to you in English and have the written French word as a choice of 3. then they say a sentence in English and ask you to pick the correct French words from a list . then they say the sentence in French and ask you to pick the words you hear from a list. then finally they get you to type in the French word. this is done repeatedly by varying the sentence and the spoken phrases you have to remember what the words are how they sound and how they are written. this is done in a male and a female voice and also young and old so there is variety in what you hear. its all set out quite well and I am not sure I explained it well.
my problem is I get sidetracked and forget to log in for a while and have to relearn, which is why I gave up on Esperanto.

Back