Beta Pandorapanic! Testbuild For Pandora

MarkoeZ

arr matey?
Website
projectinfinity.org.uk
With the help of the scrips by Cpasjuste and online help by Poke, i managed to build PandoraPanic! on linux for the Pandora with the cross compiler. It built without errors, but lacking a devboard, we cannot test it.

So: I'm not sure it runs at all. And if it does, the inputs may still be mapped weird, but if someone with a devboard would have a couple of minutes to test this build, it would be very much appreciated. Just to know if we can go on tweaking small stuff, or major issues need to be taken care of.

CODE
http://www.pirate-games.co.uk/markoez/pandorapanictestbuild.tar.gz

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
And a playable windows testbuild :)

CODE
http://www.pirate-games.co.uk/markoez/pandorapanicwindowsbuildwithsdl.zip

See PandoraPanic thread for more info.

p.s. Again: Sorry for double posting, but i think the audience is different in the Panic thread and this one

Edit: link now pointing to build with sdl libs

'MarkoeZ' said:

CODE
http://pirate-games.co.uk/markoez/PandoraPanic_Windows_testbuild.zip

p.s. Again: Sorry for double posting, but i think the audience is different in the Panic thread and this one

It doesn't work with WINE... Any chance of a Linux build?

'Izolo' said:
'MarkoeZ' said:

CODE
http://pirate-games.co.uk/markoez/PandoraPanic_Windows_testbuild.zip

It doesn't work with WINE... Any chance of a Linux build?

You just saved me the effort of trying it myself.

I'm interested in a Linux build as well.

Why doesn't it work with WINE? IIRC, it uses SDL - if it's not statically compiled, you'll need to install the SDL libraries in WINE (unless they're already included?).

Can't get it working in Windows due to libraries. It needs sdl_gfx and I can't find a readily available binary for that, and I'm too lazy to build it.

Sinoth, the libraries are here:
CODE
http://projectinfinity.org.uk/lib/exe/fetch.php/homebrew:engines:penjin3d:downloads:dll.7z?id=homebrew%3Agames%3Apandorapanic&cache=cache

Just extract it into the same folder as the PandoraPanic exe, or into system32 if you prefer.

I had a brief play today (at work :D) and loved it. I'll play some more tonight and give some proper feedback.

Yeah, a linux build would be awesome. I'd like to give it a try aswell!

If it hadn't been for the libstdc++ version it looks like the Pandora version may have been able to run on my Nokia N800.. I got the other libs down fairly well.. this looks good for interoperability! :)

'Gruso' said:
Sinoth, the libraries are here:
CODE
http://projectinfinity.org.uk/lib/exe/fetch.php/homebrew:engines:penjin3d:downloads:dll.7z?id=homebrew%3Agames%3Apandorapanic&cache=cache

Just extract it into the same folder as the PandoraPanic exe, or into system32 if you prefer.

I had a brief play today (at work :D) and loved it. I'll play some more tonight and give some proper feedback.
Thanks for helping out getting everybody playing this!

Also, the feedback so far is amazing, makes my day!

About a linux build, im currently working on 2 pc's that are not linked well, ill try and get the versions the same, because the current linux build has some errors, not funny to play right now. I'll try and get it sorted out today, not much time though.

If it hadn't been for the libstdc++ version it looks like the Pandora version may have been able to run on my Nokia N800.. I got the other libs down fairly well.. this looks good for interoperability!

Wow, that would be awesome! although, to be honest, N800Panic does not sound nearly as cool :p

'MarkoeZ' said:
About a linux build, im currently working on 2 pc's that are not linked well, ill try and get the versions the same, because the current linux build has some errors, not funny to play right now. I'll try and get it sorted out today, not much time though.
If it helps, the primary problem I've had building under Linux is a question of capitalization -- mostly the contents of the trabitBoy directory.

I don't know if all the games actually play properly under Linux or not. I have no controller and have noticed some difficult behavior. (I think I noted some issues in the PandoraPanic forum).

--Todd

BUG!

Ive found a bug usin the windows version. I was playing pandorderd. I had to spell expeditious in the spelling game but I forgot to press the U, I had 4 lives left before the game and because i lost i had 3. After the showing my lifes for half a sec the game and the sound crashed and windows showed the screen that the progam failed. (The "foutenrapport verzenden" screen in dutch , don't know how to call that in english)

Hopefully the bug can be fixed I love the game so far...

'Mithrildor' said:
BUG!

Ive found a bug usin the windows version. I was playing pandorderd. I had to spell expeditious in the spelling game but I forgot to press the U, I had 4 lives left before the game and because i lost i had 3. After the showing my lifes for half a sec the game and the sound crashed and windows showed the screen that the progam failed. (The "foutenrapport verzenden" screen in dutch , don't know how to call that in english)

Hopefully the bug can be fixed I love the game so far...
Haha, ja die fouten, dat zijn de laatste problemen ;) (yeah those bugs, the last problems ; )

But the memory bugs should be gone soon, that stuff is being fixed right now. looking into the other problem with spellingcontest now

Bedankt voor de tip! (thx)

thoughts:
spelling game doesnt seem to be working.
opening music is awesome.
pacing of the game is very awkward.
pong game is much too long- maybe a boss stage or something
the games have no direction- in warioware they had a 1 or 2 word instruction, and within a few trys you could figure it out. im still struggling with some
overall i feel there needs to be a little more cohesive-ness. i know its a community project, but games like 5 second frenzy still had a very high produced, well put together, nice, cohesive value. i think you should decide on whether to have ''full'' minigames or rapidfire, because its kind of straggling inbetween on some of them. to not disclude anyone, maybe you could have different modes. i dunno, im not a developer for this (yet) so i may not be entirely sure on the scope of it.
also, the pandora has a keyboard, so i think keyboard input should be implemented on the name enter screen (i understand why it isnt now, because the z, x, etc keys serve multiple purposes)
also (sorry train of thought) not sure if youve fixed the memory leak problem yet, but in pandored (whatever that actually means), the spelling game frequently leads to high mem/vm usage and crashing.
more thoughts on specific games:
congrats to the joust game author.
the spelling game shouldnt fail for any extra input except KEYBOARD input.
the platforming game seems impossibly hard.
the anti windows game, as much as I enjoy using it (hey, im a linux user too) is very interesting
the game with the guy crying makes no sense
the math game doesnt seem to let you win
the antialiasing on some of the logo fonts could be spruced up.
i know the stuff is all still a WIP, and I don't know what everyones planning on fixing or implementing or what bugs they are aware of so, don't get mad about anything

PoisonedV,

Thanks for the thoughtful, detailed feedback! That's good stuff.

I can only speak to a little of it: specifically the randomness of the whole affair (i.e., the lack of cohesion or focus). I was kind of surprised by it, too. But that reflects the culture PokeParadox set right from the beginning: all contributions are welcome, no matter how pitiful. He has been very inclusive and thus encouraged many of us (without, e.g., prior C++ experience) to jump in and write little one-off games. So it's a two-sided coin. You get lots of people experimenting, trying out random code/artwork/music. And it doesn't always stick together.

Personally, I'm impressed to no end that PokePardox just threw this idea out there and has ended up with a small critical-mass of games that will soon be worth distributing. I think, had he been a little more choosy, he wouldn't have succeeded in this particular community (where all the serious dev's are busy with bigger things). PokeParadox managed to recruit a bunch of the rest of us (not kernel hackers but able to produce a little code or other useful artifacts). Pretty sweet. But pretty random results.

BTW, I agree with most of your statements. In particular I'm bothered by the length of the pong game. That ball travels so slowly. It's painful! :) I might suggest faster travel and requiring five (or so) successful volleys in order to win.

:rolleyes: No comment... :D

so, don't get mad about anything
Au contraire: an excellent post!

--Todd

'PoisonedV' said:
thoughts:
spelling game doesnt seem to be working.
opening music is awesome.
pacing of the game is very awkward.
pong game is much too long- maybe a boss stage or something
the games have no direction- in warioware they had a 1 or 2 word instruction, and within a few trys you could figure it out. im still struggling with some
overall i feel there needs to be a little more cohesive-ness. i know its a community project, but games like 5 second frenzy still had a very high produced, well put together, nice, cohesive value. i think you should decide on whether to have ''''''''full'''''''' minigames or rapidfire, because its kind of straggling inbetween on some of them. to not disclude anyone, maybe you could have different modes. i dunno, im not a developer for this (yet) so i may not be entirely sure on the scope of it.
also, the pandora has a keyboard, so i think keyboard input should be implemented on the name enter screen (i understand why it isnt now, because the z, x, etc keys serve multiple purposes)
also (sorry train of thought) not sure if youve fixed the memory leak problem yet, but in pandored (whatever that actually means), the spelling game frequently leads to high mem/vm usage and crashing.
more thoughts on specific games:
congrats to the joust game author.
the spelling game shouldnt fail for any extra input except KEYBOARD input.
the platforming game seems impossibly hard.
the anti windows game, as much as I enjoy using it (hey, im a linux user too) is very interesting
the game with the guy crying makes no sense
the antialiasing on some of the logo fonts could be spruced up.
i know the stuff is all still a WIP, and I don't know what everyones planning on fixing or implementing or what bugs they are aware of so, don't get mad about anything
Ok, long list :), here it goes:

The spelling contest works fine here, can you tell me what the problem seems to be?

About the pace, when we have more minigames, we will look into various playmodes. Right now i think that leaving games out would make it a bit dull. Maybe pong can indeed function as a boss kind of game. not sure though.

Perhaps it is a good idea to have some sort of introduction playmode where the games are explained. Or when you first play a game in Panic mode it get's an introduction or something. Another thing to look into.

The memory leak issue has been found, will be resolved soon.

The minigames:

Joust - Thanks! :) although the great sprites that really make the game are by Dragons_Slayer, credits to those that deserve it.

Spelling game - Input should be easy to fix

Platform game - Good levels still need to be made, easy and hard ones depending on the stage you are in. The level editor is actually hidden somewhere in the build behind a keycombo ;) It's just not really user friendly yet.

BadVista (windows game) - yeah, it's very funny!

Crying game - It makes sense when you play in panic mode. But in Selectionbox it starts at level 0, instantly making you win. Going to look into that as well

DistractedMath - All equations are correct i believe, think i got all the bugs out, so it is winnable :) Maybe you allready know this, but a double minus makes a plus. Some ppl go wrong there

Still a lot to be done, fortunately, most are only small issues that can be easily fixed.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!!

Edit: What's up with the math game, is it really to hard for you guys? :p

Re: instructions, I submitted a class to try to help with that. I use it in BadVista. The intent is to make it extremely easy for game-writers (or later integrators) to add a flashing button to the beginning of the game, prompting the user with which controls to use. Not so helpful for the spelling/math games, but would help out a lot, I imagine, with the games requiring input from certain buttons.

Sorry, I forget it's name off-hand & don't presently have the source with me. Check out BadVista's init state: it should be obvious.

--Todd

''''MWeston'''' said:
I just tried it and it fails with an error about not finding libts-0.0.so.0
CODE

thats the libraries i used for windows. on linux i didnt even need them for whatever reason.
(that link was posted by i think poke further up)
I got up to stage 10 (yeah I know, thats horrible for a high score) but then that BASTARD platformer game showed up. it was intense, lol.
not having troubles with math game anymore.
also: the game locks up (not just a memory leak) very often on fail condition of spelling bee.

Back