Pandora Pandora Panic

Creature XL said:
Juchuuu It works. I had to jump thru so many loops.
And can you check the cbp for the windows compile?
It is not complete it seems. I had to add all the SDL-libs in the "additional libraries" window. It was not enuff to just use the "-SDL;-lSDL_gfx;..." stuff. The linker said: "Can't find -lSDL" :)

EDIT:
No, its not over yet :eek:
When I start the prog ( I didn't say 'app' :) )from the CB "play"-Button it works.
When I double click in the Explorer or run it from the command line I get a black SDL window and then it exits with the message:"application exits ...". In the stdout.txt I get "Penjii says: no arguments on command line given". Passing any argument doesn't change anything. What kind of argument is it expecting anyways?

However, on Linux its the SAME! And Linux tells me:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::eek:ut_of_range'
what(): vector::_M_range_check

So, what now?
You don't need to pass any arguments, it's just informing you that no arguments were passed!

Yes it works for C::B because C::B knows were the binaries are in relation to the data. If you want to run it outside of C::B, you just need to copy the exe into the built directory.

That range check is appearing because something can't iterate through the GFX since it couldn't load them. i.e. it can't see the game data to load.

Creature XL said:
foxblock said:
I am also compiling PP for W32, so I might be able to help you there.

First of all, did you get these libraries and put them in your minGW folder? http://projectinfinity.org.uk/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=homebrew:engines:penjin:downloads:sdl.7z
You should include the DLLs as well. I had to find an SDL_gfx.dll on the net. However, there was a link on the site from the VDrift-project I found thru google ;)
We do have a dll pack prepared and uploaded, but it's a separate download here.

Anyway I hope everything is ok for you now. We are trying to improve things for others to get started more easily, every so often I find a bit of time from actually coding to write a bit more docs to the wiki! :)

Bosbeetle said:
I must say you guys whipped up a very adictive and nice game :) I love it!

Thanks, comments like this is what we were aiming for. Glad you are enjoying it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any ideas why I get the error "Arena/ArenaEffect.h: No such file or directory" when trying to compile on windows? That file exists.

Geuben said:
Any ideas why I get the error "Arena/ArenaEffect.h: No such file or directory" when trying to compile on windows? That file exists.

When you are using CodeBlocks (and a CB project file) to compile the game, make sure is is added to said project file (Project->Add file...).

If not... well then I got no idea...

foxblock said:
Geuben said:

When you are using CodeBlocks (and a CB project file) to compile the game, make sure is is added to said project file (Project->Add file...).

Yep, I'm using Codeblocks and the pandorapanic project file as you suggested earlier in the thread. I get a whole list of errors, that's just the first one. I've tried adding the file manually, after selecting the file it asks which targets I want to use it with, I select them all, press ok and nothing happens

Geuben said:
foxblock said:
Geuben said:

Yep, I'm using Codeblocks and the pandorapanic project file as you suggested earlier in the thread. I get a whole list of errors, that's just the first one. I've tried adding the file manually, after selecting the file it asks which targets I want to use it with, I select them all, press ok and nothing happens

Ok, I guess you tried recompiling after adding the file, so please make sure you got the following:
- The Penjin framework/engine: http://code.google.com/p/penjin/ (put it in the same folder you put PandoraPanic in - not the actual PP folder, one level up)
- MinGW
- You have correctly set the global variables CB asks for, the ones you will need are:
- mingw - path to your MinGW installation
- penjin - path to the penjin files

Please also copy the whole build log and include it in a spoiler (and code) tag here or send it to me via PM, so I can take a look at it, as the error seems very weird, never got it before, too... (especially not with the official cbp file, which should be set-up properly).

foxblock out

Pointed CB at all the right folders, as per the instructions

-------------- Clean: W32 Release in PandoraPanic ---------------

Cleaned "PandoraPanic - W32 Release"

-------------- Build: W32 Release in PandoraPanic ---------------

Compiling: AchievementWinAll.cpp
Compiling: Arena\ArenaEffect.cpp
Compiling: Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.cpp
In file included from C:\PandoraPanic\Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.cpp:4:
C:\PandoraPanic\Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.h:10:31: error: Arena/ArenaEffect.h: No such file or directory
In file included from C:\PandoraPanic\Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.cpp:4:
C:\PandoraPanic\Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.h:29: error: 'SDL_Surface' has not been declared
C:\PandoraPanic\Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.h:39: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'ArenaEffect' with no type
C:\PandoraPanic\Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.h:39: error: expected ';' before '*' token
C:\PandoraPanic\Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.cpp:9: error: 'NULL' was not declared in this scope
C:\PandoraPanic\Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.cpp: In constructor 'ArenaEffectSystem::ArenaEffectSystem()':
C:\PandoraPanic\Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.cpp:18: error: 'm_EffectArr' was not declared in this scope
C:\PandoraPanic\Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.cpp:18: error: 'NULL' was not declared in this scope
C:\PandoraPanic\Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.cpp:19: error: expected type-specifier before 'ArenaEffect'
C:\PandoraPanic\Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.cpp:19: error: expected ';' before 'ArenaEffect'
C:\PandoraPanic\Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.cpp: In destructor 'virtual ArenaEffectSystem::~ArenaEffectSystem()':
C:\PandoraPanic\Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.cpp:26: error: 'm_EffectArr' was not declared in this scope
C:\PandoraPanic\Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.cpp:28: error: 'm_EffectArr' was not declared in this scope
C:\PandoraPanic\Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.cpp:28: error: 'NULL' was not declared in this scope
C:\PandoraPanic\Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.cpp: In static member function 'static ArenaEffectSystem* ArenaEffectSystem::GetSingleton()':
C:\PandoraPanic\Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.cpp:39: error: 'NULL' was not declared in this scope
C:\PandoraPanic\Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.cpp: At global scope:
C:\PandoraPanic\Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.cpp:42: error: variable or field 'render' declared void
C:\PandoraPanic\Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.cpp:42: error: 'SDL_Surface' was not declared in this scope
C:\PandoraPanic\Arena\ArenaEffectSystem.cpp:42: error: 'screen' was not declared in this scope
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 20 seconds)
16 errors, 0 warnings

Yeah, seems to be a problem with the "Search directories" maybe they got messed up somehow.

Please check whether you have to following (either set in the W32 build or globally for the whole project) - these are all the paths I got:
$(#penjin) (or the path to your Penjin folder)
.\
$(#mingw.include)

also I wondering why it starts compiling the Arena files, whereas it starts with the Penjin files on my end. Are you sure you have those and included in the project file?
(Sorry, if I may sound like I think you are dumb - I am not, but just checking every error I also made at first).

foxblock out

foxblock said:
Yeah, seems to be a problem with the "Search directories" maybe they got messed up somehow.

Please check whether you have to following (either set in the W32 build or globally for the whole project) - these are all the paths I got:
$(#penjin) (or the path to your Penjin folder)
.\
$(#mingw.include)

also I wondering why it starts compiling the Arena files, whereas it starts with the Penjin files on my end. Are you sure you have those and included in the project file?
(Sorry, if I may sound like I think you are dumb - I am not, but just checking every error I also made at first).

foxblock out

Don't worry, I'm pretty useless at setting up Dev environments.
I've tried adding them to the project but nothing happens to indicate that they've been added. I'm also assuming they should be loaded automatically with the pandorapanic codeblocks project file.

I've notices that if I change the #includes to just the headerfile name (without Arena at the front) it compiles them ok.

Geuben said:
Lol, this so reminds me of myself back in 2008, i think i spent 2 full days (and one day of PokeParadoxes time :p ) getting everything installed and compiling properly. And now, 5 minigames later, i still run into problems sometimes if i have to do it again.
But hang in there, once you have everything properly configured it really works perfect!

Cheers!

MarkoeZ said:
Geuben said:
Lol, this so reminds me of myself back in 2008, i think i spent 2 full days (and one day of PokeParadoxes time :p ) getting everything installed and compiling properly. And now, 5 minigames later, i still run into problems sometimes if i have to do it again.
But hang in there, once you have everything properly configured it really works perfect!

Cheers!

I'm sure I'll figure it out, I don't actually want to make a minigame, I just thought this would be a good way to get a good look at Penjin as it might be a good platform from which to write a game.

I got my highest score of 27 today!

I still don't know what to do on the one with the Pandora and the forums. The cake one keeps getting the better of me, when the candles relight. The fire engine one takes too long in my opinion.

The project file is not perfect for Windows :)

But, have you put the SDL-Header files into the mingw32-folder?
I have installed C:B WITH mingw32 already built in, so it is in the C:B folder "C:\CodeBlocks\"
Th elibs and header files are in the archive which foxblock posted for me yesterday (20 posts up or so).
I assume oyu have done that already, as you have read the previou sposts.
So, check the "Search pathes" in the IDE. For the compiler.

I am busy watching football so I am short on time. If oyu can't get it to work just ask agian. I got help yesterday so its my time to help now :)

Geuben said:
I'm sure I'll figure it out, I don't actually want to make a minigame, I just thought this would be a good way to get a good look at Penjin as it might be a good platform from which to write a game.

Yep, that is a good idea. You could also take a look at Wandor or PanJoust, but I at least advise you not to look at Wandor (cannot say much about PanJoust, that's MarkoeZ' game) as we added a lot of our own stuff and it has grown pretty complex and complicated, so as a beginner it probably will get you lost.
Also we constantly adding stuff to the manual, so you check it from time to time to learn new things: http://projectinfini...s:penjin:manual

Geuben said:
I still don't know what to do on the one with the Pandora and the forums. The cake one keeps getting the better of me, when the candles relight. The fire engine one takes too long in my opinion.
Noted, will tweak the difficulty on Cake (though IIRC every level should be possible to beat), and I share your opinion about the fire truck, the slow movement speed becomes really annoying.
The other game (with the forum posts), called PanicAttack, is pretty simple actually, but it is best played on an actual Pandora as you simply have to push the buttons quickly as they light up (and don't press them too early).

foxblock out

PS: Also I bet we are going to win 2:1 versus Australia :D

foxblock said:

Noted, will tweak the difficulty on Cake (though IIRC every level should be possible to beat), and I share your opinion about the fire truck, the slow movement speed becomes really annoying.
The other game (with the forum posts), called PanicAttack, is pretty simple actually, but it is best played on an actual Pandora as you simply have to push the buttons quickly as they light up (and don't press them too early).

foxblock out

PS: Also I bet we are going to win 2:1 versus Australia :D

Cake is probably just doable, I did mess up slightly when trying it. As for PanicAttack, I am playing it on my pandora, I don't have chance to read the screen and then the buttons flash really fast and it's game over.

Geuben said:
Cake is probably just doable, I did mess up slightly when trying it. As for PanicAttack, I am playing it on my pandora, I don't have chance to read the screen and then the buttons flash really fast and it's game over.

In which case the game actually is working as intended as the message on the screen (in the game) is just there for distraction, there are no useful information on there whatsoever.

foxblock said:
Geuben said:

In which case the game actually is working as intended as the message on the screen (in the game) is just there for distraction, there are no useful information on there whatsoever.

So I just suck then :(

Geuben said:
foxblock said:
Geuben said:

So I just suck then :(
Keep at it!

Back