Pandora Wi-Fi On 350kilobytes/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch! Is the program _THAT_ reliant on hardware-decryption?
Or is it that flv is just the worst possible container and sucks power?

there are still browsers outthere that can crash? Wow. :lol: I never seen my Opera crash and I even can't remember that the oh so evil IE crashed...but it's a long time since I used an IE :D
I thought especialy Linux Browsers are super-stable so I wonder a little bit what should crash there - it's Linux.

I enjoyed these official "From Pandora with Love" posts. :) Seems, every Dev already did the little resistor mod. The speed of the WiFi seems fast enough for my taste (I only have a 768Kilobit DSL line - 96kB/s )so it should be fine. The signal seems to be stable, even through Walls (Thanx MWeston for testing this). So the WiFi onto the Pandora seems to be stable at all. So we already have an advantage over the new Apple iPad. :lol:
http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/05/trouble-in-paradise-ipad-users-complain-of-wifi-issues/

Because the Pandora WiFi needs more battery power than the Handheld would need without WiFi, is it possible to surf onto lower clock speed than 500MHz to increase the battery life a little bit more? or does the WiFi and the Browser needs the standard 500MHz? ^_^

EvilDragon said:
We've got Totem, but without hardware acceleration it plays YouTube video with about 1 frame each three seconds.
I still hope, Hardware Acceleration will work at the end. Not that it turns out there is another wrong resistor somewhere that prevents the Pandora to use hardware Acceleration at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally for getting some good speed measurement I'd recommend setting up some lightweight ftp server on the Desktop/Laptop and download a file via FTP using the Pandora. The file should have >100MB and should simply be downloaded using wget and stored in /dev/null (as in "don't save it at all). This way you would get some more reliable numbers regarding the bandwidth that is possible while some "real" download is happening. For finding a usable ftpd, just search in your package manager, the gentoo package manager would suggest me eg installing pure-ftpd or oftpd. There are probably some usable solutions for the other OSs, too. Afterwards the wget command (in a terminal on the pandora) could eg be this (assuming that the ftp server is running and servering "movie-file-waiting-for-download"):

wget --output-file=/dev/null ftp://192.168.0.2/movie-file-waiting-for-download

MWeston said:
P.S. Yes, transferring a file from my PC would be smarter but I have to figure out how to do that still. I normally turn anything like that off for security reasons. I don't think I've done file sharing since the headache-y days of Win98!

http://www.recipester.org/Recipe:Establish_Ad-hoc_Wifi_in_Windows_Vista_36180445 <- Vista
http://www.home-network-help.com/ad-hoc-wireless-network.html <- XP

fusion_power said:
I still hope, Hardware Acceleration will work at the end. Not that it turns out there is another wrong resistor somewhere that prevents the Pandora to use hardware Acceleration at all.

Haha, don't worry. It works on Angström on the BeagleBoard but needs a more recent kernel.
And the hardware accelleration is within the OMAP, there is no resistor that could be wrong ;)

Last edited:
DaMummy said:
does this mean we wont have IE on pandora? oh and one last time from my trip in europe
775540323.png
TAKE THAT!

775768417.png

Attachments

• 775540323.png
    775540323.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 775768417.png
    775768417.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 78
MWeston said:
The resistor was the series resistance in the oscillator driver. I did change it once on a previous revision but since there were no complaints back in the day, I kept it larger for lower current consumption. The wifi clock requires a very strict clock profile so I had to decrease this resistance to drive the crystal harder (larger voltage swing), increase the bandwidth and put the crystal into a tighter range around resonance. It probably means an extra mA or two of constant current drain so not a big issue in that respect.

Does it consume power even when the WiFi chip is off? Then 2mA would be quite a lot. Consider 2mA x 24h x 7days = 336 mAh a week. What is the capacity of the battery?

I was also wondering if anybody from the devs achieved faster WiFi (how fast?) on any of the earlier boards revisions, where the resistor was larger?

Vega said:
MWeston said:
The resistor was the series resistance in the oscillator driver. I did change it once on a previous revision but since there were no complaints back in the day, I kept it larger for lower current consumption. The wifi clock requires a very strict clock profile so I had to decrease this resistance to drive the crystal harder (larger voltage swing), increase the bandwidth and put the crystal into a tighter range around resonance. It probably means an extra mA or two of constant current drain so not a big issue in that respect.

Does it consume power even when the WiFi chip is off? Then 2mA would be quite a lot. Consider 2mA x 24h x 7days = 336 mAh a week. What is the capacity of the battery?

I was also wondering if anybody from the devs achieved faster WiFi (how fast?) on any of the earlier boards revisions, where the resistor was larger?

4400mah

Tor said:
wget -O /dev/null <url> isn't bad for measurements. Better than scp anyway, as any SSH operation involves lots of CPU work which may impact measurements, particularly when the link (wi-fi) gets faster.
came to post what Tor said. ssh poses a non-negligible overhead. and wget can actually saturate a link to its fullest through multiple streams. just create a skeleton page with links to, say, 10 files of 10MB each, run a recursive, timed wget on the page, observe.

EvilDragon said:
Epiphany had the same rendering and crashing issues as Midori for me - I guess the problem is with WebKit, as they both use it.
For the rendering issue, there's a fix, it might also fix the crashing, but it's not yet implemented in our image :)
Did you try to replace the webkit engine? Maybe Angstrom uses unstable version.

x68000 said:
DaMummy said:
does this mean we wont have IE on pandora? oh and one last time from my trip in europe
775540323.png
TAKE THAT!

775768417.png

Dunny said:
772765111.png

Muahahahahaha!

Yeah, my upload is actually faster than my download. Take THAT.

D.

Attachments

• 775540323.png
    775540323.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 772765111.png
    772765111.png
    32 KB · Views: 76
  • 775768417.png
    775768417.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 64
Dead1nside said:

4200mAh.

I'll let MWeston give the real answer but I doubt that it draws that kind of power when the clock is gated off.

Exophase said:
Dead1nside said:

4200mAh.

I'll let MWeston give the real answer but I doubt that it draws that kind of power when the clock is gated off.

I thought they said something about getting 10% for free, although the battery's are still rated at 4000mAh?

Dunny said:
x68000 said:
DaMummy said:
775540323.png
TAKE THAT!

775768417.png

Dunny said:
772765111.png

Muahahahahaha!

Yeah, my upload is actually faster than my download. Take THAT.

D.

775979128.png

My upload is also faster than my download :D
What's the competition regarding?

Attachments

• 775540323.png
    775540323.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 775768417.png
    775768417.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 775979128.png
    775979128.png
    31 KB · Views: 78
  • 772765111.png
    772765111.png
    32 KB · Views: 85
Dead1nside said:
I thought they said something about getting 10% for free, although the battery's are still rated at 4000mAh?

This is the relevant quote from MWeston:

MWeston said:
The datasheet rates these batteries as 4250mAh, 4200mAh minimum but they stamp 4000mAh on the side of the batteries. I’ve been working on the configuration file for the battery fuel gauge and if I try to set it to 4000, the battery still runs for most of an hour even though it says 0%. I had no choice but to use 4200 as the calibration value. The last battery I calculated was about 4230 so the datasheet seems accurate.

They're 4200mAh batteries that are for some reason labeled 4000.

Exophase said:
Dead1nside said:

This is the relevant quote from MWeston:

MWeston said:
The datasheet rates these batteries as 4250mAh, 4200mAh minimum but they stamp 4000mAh on the side of the batteries. I’ve been working on the configuration file for the battery fuel gauge and if I try to set it to 4000, the battery still runs for most of an hour even though it says 0%. I had no choice but to use 4200 as the calibration value. The last battery I calculated was about 4230 so the datasheet seems accurate.

They're 4200mAh batteries that are for some reason labeled 4000.

Thanks for the correction. I think I was associating it with my boasts of "Has the same battery power as my sister's laptop" which is 4400mAh.

Dead1nside said:
Thanks for the correction. I think I was associating it with my boasts of "Has the same battery power as my sister's laptop" which is 4400mAh.
What about the voltage? ;) Laptop batteries are usually higher than 3.7V.

Note: Battery energy capacity = Voltage * Current-hours. For Pandora that is, 3.7V * 4400mAh = 16.28 Wh [Watt-hour]

another stupid argument over FOSS
this is why i mostly hate entering FOSS based User Base. (well not all the FOSS but specially Linux ones)

don't misunderstand me, its just that if someone says windows and you get everyone pointing at you, it is worse than
political discussion

going Back on topic.

Tnx MW for answering about the TX/RX question, i just wondered what router/AP do you have?, and does it have any kind of add ons like high dB antenna?

LETS ADD SOME DRM FLAMES!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back