Pandora Vs Dell Mini 10

I have a Dell Mini 10. I like to use it for my Windows stuff, but it's no replacement for what the Pandora is promising.

starlight, the fact that you even attempted to compare these 2 things means that pandora most probably isnt for you.
they are completely different beasts.

If there was some sort of an easy snap-on gaming controls attachment for my Dell Mini 9 then it would be a contender with Pandora.

My Mini 9 looks and runs emus great even from an internal flash drive, but fails when it comes to gaming controls.
USB gamepads work fine but can be cumbersome to carry and deploy.

I run Project 64 and an PSX emulator on my Dell Mini 9. The emulators run fine. I use a gamepad with dual analog sticks as a controller. It's a good setup, but not quite as portable as the Pandora is.

It's odd comparing a block of 1970 style flats to a hat that hasn't been made yet, and is over a year late, but... I guess at least part of it has to be that people want SOMETHING to do stuff on. The Dell Mini 10 isn't pocketable by any means, and has many cons as well as pros, but one of those pros is that you can actually just get one. You give Dell (or even Tesco) your money and they give you some electronics in exchange. That has its benefits over even an absolutely superb bit of electronics that you can't have, especially sicne the Dell appears robust enough to carry about in most bags.

If you do not mind the form factor, go get a Dell Mini! It is available, it has a lot of features and mature software. It can do anything the Pandora can do except even better. It is just not for your hands but for a table.

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_comparison/26356-Acer-Aspire-One-vs-Eee-PC-901-vs-DSi-LL-vs-Open-Pandora

The Acer Aspire One and Eee PC 901 netbooks may be no Dell Mini 10. But in size, they are similar. And as you can see, the Pandora is a midget compared to the netbook's in that comparison.

I'm using my Mini 10 to type this post. It's really not bad, but I've had trouble trying to get several games to run (Starcraft, Quake2, Doom with Doomsday engine). The Mini 10 seems to have problems with opengl or Directx or something. Oh, and it also sucks at playing high quality youtube videos or recieving HD channels with its tuner (stutters). I just bought it to have something to get on the web while I'm in school. Once I get a Pandora, this laptop will be nothing more than a backup HDD with internet. Just a bit more cpu horsepower and a better gpu, and I'd love it.

*Oh, and the battery life claims are exaggerated to say the least. It doesn't seem much better than any other laptop I've used.

Xian Long said:
laptop battery life claims always annoy me

They're like pretty much every sales/marketing bit of BS since, well since at least the home computer.

I rememeber Sinclair advertising one of their ZX computers as being powerful enough to run a power station - nuclear was implied IIRC. If anyone ever tried that,,,scary! I remember each version of Windows, for a while, claimed to be faster than the previous version... if you believe MS marketing hype, Windows 7 ought to be up and running before you've even hit the power switch, by now. I remember numerous "minimum required specs" on game boxes... or, as I called them, "big fat lies".

It seems to be an aspect of a commercial world - where what someone tells us about their product affects how many copies they sell, and therefor how much money they make, then - in general - lies fly like it's migration season :(

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on the purpose. If you need a laptop, then get the dell. If you want a portable gaming console that can also sub as a computer and ultra portability, then get the pandora. That's also not even touching on the battery life of the thing.

I have an acer aspire one, it's advertised as having 2 hours of battery life, when it's really about 1 hour when usb ports and sd slot is being used with screen brightness down. Not a big deal for me since I use it more like a desktop for internet anyway (so my REAL computer isn't exposed to the harsh wasteland that is the internets)

The pandora to me looks like it'll be able to run games FASTER than my netbook. I can do n64 emulation no problem, but when it comes to pc games this thing blows. The videos of quake 3 running on pandora just blew me away, there's no way i'd get that speed on my netbook. Oh yeah, still rockin' Windows XP.

Dude,
You're asking such a question in a PANDORA FORUM!?
What kind of answer do you think you're going to get?
If you've come here with no clue what the Pandora is, just go buy the Windows XP/W7 machine and enjoy.
Might end up being a whole lot easier for you to use. Enjoy M$ & Intel - Great Combination! :ph34r:

I got in on the first batch nearly a year ago. I figured out it was going to be some time before I had the Pandora in hand, so I bought an Acer net book just to wet my appetite. Never bothered loading games, the key board is just too small and you still need a mouse. The best thing I can say about the Acer is it gets connectivity to the masses at an affordable price. The Acer fits nicely in my pack but I hesitate to have it out during a lecture. I’m kind of a suck ass in class. Enter Pandora, small enough to appear as a PDA, and sexy as hell. Oh yes, it will be mine.

starfight said:
Well it's cheaper and its not as big as a full sized laptop, touchscreen can be added for about 20$, The keyboard layout I can change myself so it will have gaming controls if I buy it...
FUCK OFF YOU FUCKING TROLL!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back