Pandora Vs Dell Mini 10

starfight

Still Fresh
Which would be faster/easier to use?
I plan to do some emulation of psx, nes and n64. also I will be using it as a torrent client and webbrowser.
the new dell mini 10 has GPS, 160GB HD, 1 GB ddr2, 1.66 dual core atom and a tv-tuner for a starting price of $299 VAT included
what would be the best choice for me?

link to dell mini 10: http://gizmodo.com/5431206/dell-mini-10-update-includes-a-shiny-new-processor

dellnew10.jpg

some specs:
optional Broadcom Crystal HD video accelerator for HD video playback.
four case colors, Bluetooth, WWAN, GPS,160GB HDD, TV-tuner, and a 1366 x 768 display
Intel Atom n450 1.66 GHz
3 or 6 cell battery which lasts at least 9 hours

it's not portable ( can't fit in your pocket ) and doesn't have gaming controls, it's basically just a laptop.. why would you be considering the pandora with a laptop?

Paradox said:
it's not portable ( can't fit in your pocket ) and doesn't have gaming controls, it's basically just a laptop.. why would you be considering the pandora with a laptop?
Well it's cheaper and its not as big as a full sized laptop, touchscreen can be added for about 20$, The keyboard layout I can change myself so it will have gaming controls if I buy it...

Last edited by a moderator:
starfight said:
Paradox said:
Well it's cheaper and its not as big as a full sized laptop, touchscreen can be added for about 20$, The keyboard layout I can change myself so it will have gaming controls if I buy it...
if a touchscreen can be added, this notebook becomes a fair enemy of pandora. Still the pandora beats it because its alot smaller, and has REAL gaming controls. No stopid keybaord with key binding.

borgqueenx said:
starfight said:
Paradox said:
if a touchscreen can be added, this notebook becomes a fair enemy of pandora. Still the pandora beats it because its alot smaller, and has REAL gaming controls. No stopid keybaord with key binding.
True: key binding is a bitch,, but with a program like joy2mouse you can change any key to what you want. Add a touchscreen like this one:link (can't seem to find correct link the one I'm getting is 19$) and you're good to go. The only thing worrying me is the size.

even if you bind the keys it still won't give you a proper D-pad just 4 buttons spaced out quite a distance from eachother (compared to a dpad) plus I doubt it will be comfortable to even hold and play games like that, it'd be too heavy/big..you'd be better off with a USB pad.

Pandoras main selling point is 1) real gaming controls built in 2) size (pocketable) 3)open platform for hardware / software 4) long battery life. The Dell loses on all these counts. Sounds like the Dell is for you, not the Pandora.

Twiitcher
Tired of faulty logic, intentional or not

What about battery?

[quote name=""]Battery life of 9 hours and 34 minutes for the Mini 10 Mobility bundle is achieved using Mobilemark2007 battery life testing benchmark with a system configuration that includes 60WHr 6 cell battery, Windows 7 Starter Operating system and 250GB Hard Drive.[/quote]

[quote name=""]So how can Dell and Best Buy make that claim? These battery-life numbers are based on a benchmark test called MobileMark 2007 (MM07). The test was created by a consortium called BAPCo (Business Application Performance Corp.), whose members are—you guessed it—computer makers and other tech companies [...].

Laptops score big numbers because they're tested with screens dimmed to 20 to 30 percent of full brightness, the Wi-Fi turned off and the main processor chip running at 7.5 percent of capacity [...][/quote]
So yeah, even with a battery 4x the size (60 W/hr Dell battery vs 15 W/hr Pandora) and in full power saving settings (a probably unusable PC) they barely compete with Pandora's battery life.

You simply can't compare a netbook with a Pandora for portable gaming. Where are the gaming controls? Are you gonna carry a netbook sized device all the time? What if you can't sit down to use a "lap top" device?

EDIT: Also try playing a fighting game (along the lines of Marvel vs Capcom) and you'll immediately notice the downside of using a keyboard for controls. Only certain awkward key combinations are possible to press at the same time, no
Code:
D,DF,F + PPP/KKK
specials for you!

starfight said:
Which would be faster/easier to use?
I plan to do some emulation of psx, nes and n64. also I will be using it as a torrent client and webbrowser.
the new dell mini 10 has GPS, 160GB HD, 1 GB ddr2, 1.66 dual core atom and a tv-tuner for a starting price of $299 VAT included
what would be the best choice for me?

link to dell mini 10: http://gizmodo.com/5431206/dell-mini-10-update-includes-a-shiny-new-processor

dellnew10.jpg

some specs:
optional Broadcom Crystal HD video accelerator for HD video playback.
four case colors, Bluetooth, WWAN, GPS,160GB HDD, TV-tuner, and a 1366 x 768 display
Intel Atom n450 1.66 GHz
3 or 6 cell battery which lasts at least 9 hours

Are you serious? This is like comparing a 1970s slum tower block to a hat.

True.. if only I had a dell mini 10 to try all the stuff out (add touchscreen and custom keyboard) then it would be easier to compare them.
I can hold my 15.4" laptop (MSI GT628) like a pandora without much problem, so that isn't going to be a problem with a dell mini I guess...
meh I could always order them both.

+14h Standard use Vs 9h of Super Saving.

anyway its like comparing the old
EEEPC 701 (surf?) against one of the newer units.

nnowadays they roll on diferent markets.

DroneB Dev said:

anyway its like comparing the old
EEEPC 701 (surf?) against one of the newer units.

nnowadays they roll on diferent markets.
True, this one has the new chipset, thats why I'm comparing now...

DroneB Dev said:
To be fair, even our 14h is "crippled", with wifi off and (I think) screen brightness turned down. Not nearly as crippled as the laptop would have to be, but still probably not fair to call it "standard".

I think there must be several of those comparisons in the "archive" somewhere :p

Edit:
If you don't mind something larger and want the best performance/battery life ratio, buy a CULV device. Those n4x0 are still total crap. Either ARM for portability or CULV for more punch.

starfight said:
Paradox said:
Go for it. Post your results when you've bought and modded it.

It only a single core too not dual, dual cores are for desktop/nettops. So not an awful lot different from the current one.

What interests me most about Pandora :

1) Its pocket-ability. I tend to wear cargo pants with ridiculous pockets, but not ridiculous enough to cram a net-book into.
2) Its analog sticks.

Some phones are getting close to competing on these fronts, but this laptop thing? No chance.

Back