Pandora Unleashability

Aries

Still Fresh
Found this in a linux game repository

http://www.warsow.net/?page=media

Considering the power of the Pandora's graphic accelerator, anyone think this game could be ported, by downgrading details, resolution etc... and if it's written in x86 instructions, is it easy to recompile in ARM? There are so much great 3D games for linux, I hope the power of the Pandora will be exploited by our amazing dev!

edit...just find out it is from Quake 2 engine, so i guess it will be easilly feasible!

why didn't you just name the thread "Warsow - can it be ported?"

Go to http://www.happypenguin.org and check out the news history and you'll get a lot of good ideas for ports.

http://freegamer.blogspot.com/ is also a nice blog to read that talks alot about opensource games that run on linux.

Warsow is Quake2, but massively modified. Infact, it runs at a lower FPS than Q3A on my PC (Because of cell shading). But the good news is that Warsow has dozens of settings that allow lowish end systems to work on it. 600MHz CortexA8 is pushing it a little.

No idea how much memory is needed.

But the PowerVR can do cell shading.

MWeston has a video of cell shading on youtube.

I don't think we have enough power to run it in its current form, possibly with a lot of reduction in detail.

I would wait to see how fast Quake2/3 are when ported over.

This seems to have a little trouble on the Eeepc even, according to their forums (I don't think the guy was running XP or win2k, and I am pretty sure he had it at 600mhz instead of full 900mhz.)

You're correct there, but many gaming journalist think that cel-shading is a minimalistic technique that they just use on less powerful hardware. That is not the case cel-shading is an added layer of shading on top of your original model layer, sure, you may use a less detailed render under it, but it's still a method thats always worth being appreciated as it's not an easy task. Okami's prototype was a more realistic approach but the final result was ten times more the effort on making it work on the ps2; if only it wasn't for the vector units.

Being a time-to-time warsow player, perhaps I can clarify a bit. Warsow is by no means a quake 2 game anymore, it's based on the QFusion, a way more powerful - and hungry engine.
Warsow is a very fast and movementintense game.
It may be possible to port it to the Pandora and play it with very low settings altough I'm doubting it will run smooth. But what is the point of porting it? As warsow is a multiplayer game only the only other people you'd have a chance to compete with are other people using a pandora and willing to play warsow on it. Everyone with mouse/keyboard controls will be superior at any time.
It would be a nice tech-demo but nonsense at the same time. It probably would be lots of hard work to do a decent port and I predict not that much people would play it.
Please remember the Pandorascene is not that big.
(Total Number Of Owners) - (People that don't like shooter) - (People that don't want to play them on the pandora) - (People who are playing something else at the time) - (People who'd play, but don't use do it atm) = the number of competitors you get
I guess on a special pandoraserver (which you'd need, see above) you'd be lucky to find enough people to have a fun game.

I for one

Surely the fact that it's running on Pandora wouldn't prevent you from playing against people running it on desktop rigs? It's not like the networking protocols it uses suddenly vanish.

That's one of the great things about Pandora - the issue with the GP32's RF unit of no one else having one pretty much vanishes, since you can compete with anyone playing the game, not just your port of it :D

Tobriand said:
Surely the fact that it's running on Pandora wouldn't prevent you from playing against people running it on desktop rigs? It's not like the networking protocols it uses suddenly vanish.

Everyone with mouse/keyboard controls will be superior at any time

I think that was more Balzac2m's point. Analogue controls are indeed a poor alternative to mouse control in FPSes. At least when I play! :( I guess you could use a USB mouse, but then you'd need to carry a flat surface around with you... Small trackball maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Balzac2m said:
It may be possible to port it to the Pandora and play it with very low settings altough I'm doubting it will run smooth. But what is the point of porting it? As warsow is a multiplayer game only the only other people you'd have a chance to compete with are other people using a pandora and willing to play warsow on it. Everyone with mouse/keyboard controls will be superior at any time.
No BOTs in the game? I think in the 21. Century, every Multi-Player (shooter) Game should have at least Bot Support. I love the Unreal-Series Bots. They should be the AI Standard in every Shooter game. :) Especialy for 3D Egoshooters on a Device like Pandora, we will often need Bots into the Future. Not everybody has Wlan or a permanent Internet connection (like me). I've often played against bots because of this. And with good Bots, it can be fun to. Because I hope there will be some CTF or Deathmatch or Assault (or ONSLAUGHT? :lol: )-capable Games on Pandora, Bots are the Alpha and the Omega I think. ^_^

fishybawb said:
I think that was more Balzac2m's point. Analogue controls are indeed a poor alternative to mouse control in FPSes. At least when I play! :( I guess you could use a USB mouse, but then you'd need to carry a flat surface around with you... Small trackball maybe?
My Targus mini-mouse is fine on my leg, I would probably use that. (For normal usage instead of the touch-screen, FPS would just be a bonus :))

fusion_power said:
Balzac2m said:
No BOTs in the game? I think in the 21. Century, every Multi-Player (shooter) Game should have at least Bot Support. I love the Unreal-Series Bots. They should be the AI Standard in every Shooter game. :) Especialy for 3D Egoshooters on a Device like Pandora, we will often need Bots into the Future. Not everybody has Wlan or a permanent Internet connection (like me). I've often played against bots because of this. And with good Bots, it can be fun to. Because I hope there will be some CTF or Deathmatch or Assault (or ONSLAUGHT? :lol: )-capable Games on Pandora, Bots are the Alpha and the Omega I think. ^_^

Team Fortress 2 anyone? :p

am I the only one who would buy the pandora just to run this networked FPS game in my room with a usb mouse just cause it would be freakin neat? screw the practicality of using it 'on the go' :)

Paradox said:
am I the only one who would buy the pandora just to run this networked FPS game in my room with a usb mouse just cause it would be freakin neat? screw the practicality of using it 'on the go' :)
I wonder how many of us that is? (2 for sure with me :p)

nubie said:
Paradox said:

I'd also be very interested in this but realistically I don't see this game running at a suitable speed on the Pandora very easily. Other FPS's would be good though, especially if they had online multiplayer even if its against PC players we could easily plug in a usb mouse and use it on a desk somewhere.

nubie said:
Paradox said:

I'd also be very interested in this but realistically I don't see this game running at a suitable speed on the Pandora very easily. Other FPS's would be good though, especially if they had online multiplayer even if its against PC players we could easily plug in a usb mouse and use it on a desk somewhere.

Back