Pandora Tablet Mod

hobbyman II said:
why not just send power and a single fibre optic strand to the screen?, code the video inside the Pandora case, send it down the fibre optic strand to the decoder chip, then convert the optical signal inside the case holding the display to drive it, or if IR is fast enough then polish the inside of the hinge mechanism and use an IR receiver in the screen housing to send the data to the display, you could maybe send the power inductivly through the metal hinge and the data opticaly, no physical connection as such at all.

if you look around you will find several devices available that can send video data wirelessly, maybe use a 2.4 gig transmitter and just a power cable and a receiver to power the screen?

hobbyman
The biggest problem with every kind of mod in this class is the limited space inside the case. We will have to see, how much space is available. I think a fibre optics converter would be much too big. The mod would have to be without conversion in any form.

Last edited by a moderator:
I`ve had this idea banging around in my head for the last couple of days now, And as they say, A picture tell`s a thousand words (Well, Mine only tell`s a couple of words "I crap at drawing"), So i thought i`d put pointer to pixel and give you you guy`s (and girls) a laugh, I mean share my idea.

CrapDora.png

If you can make head or tail of it (Yes, It`s actually supposed to be a Pandora :rolleyes: ), What does everyone think ?.

Oh btw, The pivot`s above a below the screen area could actually be tubes to feed cable`s through, Rather than solid lumps of plastic/metal.

Trooper

I've seen random gadgets using a similar approach. It is definitely one of the more feasible ideas. The question in the end comes down to an optimization problem. What is the best way in to accomplish this with the least cost/time/work.

trooper said:
I`ve had this idea banging around in my head for the last couple of days now, And as they say, A picture tell`s a thousand words (Well, Mine only tell`s a couple of words "I crap at drawing"), So i thought i`d put pointer to pixel and give you you guy`s (and girls) a laugh, I mean share my idea.

CrapDora.png

If you can make head or tail of it (Yes, It`s actually supposed to be a Pandora :rolleyes: ), What does everyone think ?.

Oh btw, The pivot`s above a below the screen area could actually be tubes to feed cable`s through, Rather than solid lumps of plastic/metal.

Trooper

if i got your idea right, then only the screen would rotate(while the frame remains in place), thus i dont think a patent issue would be in place(i believe this is a novelty), thus... maybe even the standard pandora model could include this.
and maybe the guys could even set a patent on it.
better run to the patent office. :p

Trooper - good idea.

Now, why is no one telling you you can't twist cables?

How come Trooper can twist but I can't? It's not fair. Wah! Wah! I want my mommy!!!

OK - so now that my whining is over - is there some trick I'm missing that makes this more feasible?

I was thinking of this. It removes the movement of the ribbon. Connectors can be made sturdy from some hard plastics or even non conductive metals.

slideinscreenbt4.png

With this design it will become easy to upgrade to higher resolution screens / brighter ones, as they start appearing.

cbp said:
I was thinking of this. It removes the movement of the ribbon. Connectors can be made sturdy from some hard plastics or even non conductive metals.

slideinscreenbt4.png
With this design it will become easy to upgrade to higher resolution screens / brighter ones, as they start appearing.

i dont wanna get into detail, cause i think its beyond the scope of this thread, but like cbp said, wires is probably the least thoughtful way of doing this... so that's not an issue.(for this idea/format)

Another thought is to use some form of LCD communication relying on vastly reduced wire count (like DVI/HDMI), but this would probably make a big mess.

Aaargh, I can't see this being easy. But there are options. I kinda like the make it into a tablet idea, complete with game controls. Ditch the keyboard and use a plug-in board, either a chat-board or a fold-out touch-type board (like the Palm Pilot one.)

nubie said:
Another thought is to use some form of LCD communication relying on vastly reduced wire count (like DVI/HDMI), but this would probably make a big mess.

Aaargh, I can't see this being easy. But there are options. I kinda like the make it into a tablet idea, complete with game controls. Ditch the keyboard and use a plug-in board, either a chat-board or a fold-out touch-type board (like the Palm Pilot one.)
Yes, a total conversion would deliver the best result in the end. Just rip out the keyboard, the dpad buttons and analogs can be reused on the front side along the screen if you want to use it for gaming. If I would do such a conversion, I would add a mini trackball on one side for mouse replacement. I think fps would rock with that config :)

Back