1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Pandora Repo

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Swordfish II, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Swordfish II

Swordfish II Very Active Member

My question is this: once the pyra launches (or in the next few years after) will the Pandora repo be discontinued?

It would be a shame to do so. The Pandora is fantastic and very useful even now.

Tags:
  2. Wally

Wally TrashyMG's worst nightmare Staff Member

.... No?
    EvilDragon hosts the Repo and would hate to see all that software disappear.

3. Elw3

Elw3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why do you even assume it would?

4. TeDaDeS

TeDaDeS Very Active Member

The GP32 forum is also still here so I would assume ED will keep hosting the repo also.
    But it would never hurt to have an alternative option just in case anything happens to it (like a giant backup file that people could download).

5. Elw3

Elw3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

6. Swordfish II

Swordfish II Very Active Member

It costs money to host, and now there is another repo coming online soon

7. Elw3

Elw3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

True, but its not like ED is going "oh i am out of money, lets shut this whole stuff off" without saying a word.
    And even if he does theoretically, this forum is full of computer nerds who are willing to keep hosting it.

8. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Administrator Staff Member

I also still have full backups at home, so whatever happens, it's always possible to setup another host elsewhere (well, unless I suddenly die, of course)

Maschinenherz and jparish1977 like this.
  9. PowerGod

PowerGod Advanced Member

This is something we should decide all together with a POLL, don't be selfish !!

10. Kippykip

Kippykip BFG 9000

The host I'm paying for has infinite space for $5.95 a month, so I wouldn't see any reason why Ed and the staff would remove the repo.
    Well unless they were hosting it in their own basements or something.

11. FBnil

FBnil ¡sɥʇuoɯ oʍʇ uı ɐɹʎԀ

Wasn't that where E.D. kept @MWeston during the Pandora project? Has it been vacated?

Kippykip likes this.
  12. Christoph.Krn

Christoph.Krn Very Active Member

It's self-hosted on the Server at Ed's main company, https://www.gepixelt.de/ , along with this forum, the Dragonbox shop, and several other things.

levi likes this.
  13. alxm

alxm Still making GP2X games!

Billion-dollar companies drop support and shut down servers after only a few years, so while around here we assume that ED will keep the homebrew archives running (as he has for almost 15 years :gp32:), most of the world thinks and acts in a very different way :)

14. Elw3

Elw3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Its not a money problem there, in a big company no one actually cares about the product.
    Say they have large Team responsible for the website and then we get a question like: "What do we do with this link to a documentation of a device we produced 15 years ago?" then most members will likely say "I am not responsible for this one".
    I doubt anyone says "drop the support now" on purpose, its just that no one maintains it.

So i think, if anyone working at a large company has a better insight he may speak up.

jeeks and atari_afternoon like this.