Pandora Pandora Panic

Oh, by the way, if any artists want to contribute better graphics for Pang please let met know and I can chuck them in (providing they are better than what is there). The current graphics were only really intended on being temporary but the guy that drew them is no longer going to be able to draw new ones, so I'm happy to put in graphics from elsewhere (also I am happy to stick with the graphics that are there, as they are good enough to my eyes so no problems if noone fancies it).

Steve

USER MANUAL - ATTENTION ALL CONTRIBUTORS!

The user manual / readme is essentially done, but I don't know if I've got the Credits section fully up to date. Very soon it will be adapted into a plain text Readme, and a nicely formatted PDF. Once this is done I have to replicate any changes across the three documents (web/txt/pdf), so it would be good to get the web version finalised first. Please have a look, and add any missing information.

http://projectinfini...anic:usermanual

Don't worry about correct formatting, just dump the text in there and I'll fix it up. Or post it here if you cbf registering on the wiki.

Rockthesmurf said:
Oh, by the way, if any artists want to contribute better graphics for Pang please let met know and I can chuck them in (providing they are better than what is there). The current graphics were only really intended on being temporary but the guy that drew them is no longer going to be able to draw new ones, so I'm happy to put in graphics from elsewhere (also I am happy to stick with the graphics that are there, as they are good enough to my eyes so no problems if noone fancies it).

Steve
Pang looks great as it is. Any plans for sound?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso said:

The user manual / readme is essentially done, but I don't know if I've got the Credits section fully up to date. Very soon it will be adapted into a plain text Readme, and a nicely formatted PDF. Once this is done I have to replicate any changes across the three documents (web/txt/pdf), so it would be good to get the web version finalised first. Please have a look, and add any missing information.

Don't worry about correct formatting, just dump the text in there and I'll fix it up. Or post it here if you cbf registering on the wiki.
Just a little note that Nub trouble is going to be pulled from first release since Nub code is still untested and the game is still a bit buggy/unfinished. I already talked to MarkoeZ about it... so basically the Nub trouble description isn't needed in the manual yet.

Also Pang you can also use the A button to fire spears... I hacked that in...

And... Another minigame is going in BirthdayCake(with GFX by DragonsSlayer and featuring my lovely gf O_O)... blow out the candles... it's already ready I just have to drag and drop it into the PandoraPanic! build tree as such. I'll do some work on this tomorrow and hopefully have chance to update the wiki page... but thanks for your continued work on this Gruso!

I added PuttPutt and myself to the credits section. Thanks for all the work Gruso.

No worries guys :) Minor changes done, will await more info.

DroneB Dev, do you mean the manual? Give it another week or so to finalise the info, when it's at "v1.0" you can go nuts on it.

Gruso said:

Rockthesmurf said:

Steve
Pang looks great as it is. Any plans for sound?

Haven't really thought about sound, I have temporary sound effects I could put in, I haven't checked out what the sound support situation is like in Penjin but I am assuming the support is there and easy to use, so I will put something in on the weekend...!

Steve

Oh, last thing (sorry for triple post!), what is the deal with performance in Pang? There is actually a lot of stuff getting drawn, not least of all as because the cloud layers are drawn using three passes for somewhat smooth scrolling. On my PC it runs at full frame rate, but my PC is a lot more powerful than a Pandora, has anyone run this on a Pandora device? If so what is the FPS in Pang, as if it is quite low I should probably do something to improve it...

Steve

Rockthesmurf said:
I have noticed I am not in the mini game credits for Pang - is that something that could be added, or is it too late now?

Steve
Done

Rockthesmurf said:
Haven't really thought about sound, I have temporary sound effects I could put in, I haven't checked out what the sound support situation is like in Penjin but I am assuming the support is there and easy to use, so I will put something in on the weekend...!

Steve
Sound would be great, just use the Penjin Sound class, it's really easy to use (or just roll your own for consistencies sake...)

Rockthesmurf said:
Oh, last thing (sorry for triple post!), what is the deal with performance in Pang? There is actually a lot of stuff getting drawn, not least of all as because the cloud layers are drawn using three passes for somewhat smooth scrolling. On my PC it runs at full frame rate, but my PC is a lot more powerful than a Pandora, has anyone run this on a Pandora device? If so what is the FPS in Pang, as if it is quite low I should probably do something to improve it...

Steve
I sometimes have minor fps issues in levels starting with many balls, but only when I do heavy stuff in the background...

Another concern is the difficulty curve, I really like the new different levels you put in, but I think the break between lvl 19 and 20 is very big as lvl 20 is, even with increased gravity, much easier than lvl 19.
Maybe instead of just increasing the difficulty and looping the other 20 levels, you could start with an equivalent of lvl 10 in lvl 30 (only with increased gravity), so the gap is not that big.

foxblock out

OK a few things...
  • The Birthday Cake game is now in the repo. You currently can't lose this game... will work on it some more obviously.... and I do have ideas of how to turn it into more of a minigame.
  • The controls are A to blow the candles and Dpad to move. (Z Blow, Arrrows to move on PC) You have to blow out all the candles. There will be a time limit and I'm thinking to relight the candles at a certain rate to make it a bit more tricky so I can scale difficulty.
  • There's no Sounds!
  • Also I've removed NubTrouble from being included in future builds. When the Pandora is out we can test Nub code and work on getting some Nub games in release 2!
  • I fixed the problem I had with Pang after a PM with RockTheSmurf.
  • I will try and sit and finalise the Credits screen tomorrow afternoon after my shift... You should check over Grusos manual page to see if you are listed as I will be using that to help finalise the listings!
  • All has gone quiet on the subject of the PXML file!
  • We need an app icon 32x32 png.
  • PND packaging? :-||
And finally... This is crunch time... let's get this finished! I want to be able to send a release build to ED preferably in 2 weeks!
For now goodnight PP! posse.

foxblock said:
Rockthesmurf said:
I have noticed I am not in the mini game credits for Pang - is that something that could be added, or is it too late now?

Steve
Done

Rockthesmurf said:

Steve
Sound would be great, just use the Penjin Sound class, it's really easy to use (or just roll your own for consistencies sake...)

Rockthesmurf said:

Steve
I sometimes have minor fps issues in levels starting with many balls, but only when I do heavy stuff in the background...

Another concern is the difficulty curve, I really like the new different levels you put in, but I think the break between lvl 19 and 20 is very big as lvl 20 is, even with increased gravity, much easier than lvl 19.
Maybe instead of just increasing the difficulty and looping the other 20 levels, you could start with an equivalent of lvl 10 in lvl 30 (only with increased gravity), so the gap is not that big.

foxblock out

Okay cool. I actually spoke to Poke about the levels in a PM today and said on the weekend I'll do something about the difficulty, either, as suggested, looping 10-20, or, preferably, adding more levels, I'd quite like to have 40 unique levels, with levels 21-40 looping twice (to get up to 80) with increasing speed.

It's going to be ace to actually get a Pandora in my hands and put the PandoraPanic.PND file on an SD!

Steve

HIIIIIIIIIIDIHOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I'm BACK!!

Took a while, but i can now update/commit to the svn with my mobile phone. not ideal, but it works

I made some levelling updates to the maze game, and added into the framework. It's not ready the way i want it to become, but i think it is release worthy. Im also going to look at my other games to get the last minor glitches out.

When i have more time i will look into the task list and get to get some framework stuff done as well.

Oh, and i won the Birthday Cake game at lvl 99!!! :p

Man it's good to be back.

Edit: I added Arena, Pang, Birthday Cake and Maze to the credits, with sprites, and added sprites to Snatchabeer Countjob and Fire

PokeParadox said:
I beg you to not use just a 32x32 pixmap.

For starters, the Pandora isn't running Windows 95 where there's a fixed set of icon sizes (namely 16x16 and 32x32) so icons have to be scaled sometimes without too much loss in quality, to e.g. 22x22, 64x64 and 12x12 which are common sizes for menus, docks and window corner icon thingies respectively. This means that the larger the icon is that you provide the better, because even if we'll never need icons larger than 32x32, a larger base icon will make the downscaling of that icon look much better; in other words: a 64x64 icon scaled down to 16x16 looks better than a 32x32 icon scaled down to 16x16.

The standard size seems to be 128x128 at the moment; small file size while having a relatively good resolution that is useful when downscaling/upscaling.

dflemstr said:
PokeParadox said:
I beg you to not use just a 32x32 pixmap.

For starters, the Pandora isn't running Windows 95 where there's a fixed set of icon sizes (namely 16x16 and 32x32) so icons have to be scaled sometimes without too much loss in quality, to e.g. 22x22, 64x64 and 12x12 which are common sizes for menus, docks and window corner icon thingies respectively. This means that the larger the icon is that you provide the better, because even if we'll never need icons larger than 32x32, a larger base icon will make the downscaling of that icon look much better; in other words: a 64x64 icon scaled down to 16x16 looks better than a 32x32 icon scaled down to 16x16.

The standard size seems to be 128x128 at the moment; small file size while having a relatively good resolution that is useful when downscaling/upscaling.
OK... I still used to GP2X way of doing things... is it assured we can use any sres of icon for Pandora apps?

Also please look over this: http://code.google.com/p/pandorapanic/source/browse/trunk/StateCredits.h?spec=svn68&r=68
Check if you have been credited for everything/anything that you have contributed to the project. We need to get this finalised now! :)

dflemstr said:
[...] a 64x64 icon scaled down to 16x16 looks better than a 32x32 icon scaled down to 16x16.

Well that is not always true, it often depends on the image used. You should always check your image in smaller sized (which it might be displayed in) if you make it bigger, as small details might be lost and parts can look different or worse when downscaled (I had this problem with an icon for an app before - it only looked good in the resolution it actually was displayed).

Anyway, I volunteer for creating the icon, I also have some ideas, will try then tomorrow.

Also good to see, everything is coming together now, can't wait to play it on my Pandora :)

foxblock out

PokeParadox said:
OK... I still used to GP2X way of doing things... is it assured we can use any sres of icon for Pandora apps?
The standard "says" that any square PNG image can be used. It's up to the specific program to resize it. I dunno if cpasjuste has implemented image resizing in his menu yet, but if he hasn't, then that's his bug, and if he has (which he probably has since Firefox etc use non-32x32 icons) we're golden.

foxblock said:
Well that is not always true, it often depends on the image used.
Yes, but it's only badly designed icons that behave weirdly when resized, and I don't think that you will design such an icon ;)
(It is safe to assume that bicubic resizing is used I guess, since that's what most modern widget toolkits are using today)

Somehow PokeParadox and i are having different results using the same code i made, weird bug. Could someone update the latest version of Maze and see if the collisions of the hero with tiles and seams between tiles are ok? Curious about operating system mostly since that is the main difference, but all feedback is welcome ofcourse.

Cheers!

Edit: Oh, and if you can escape to the left though a wall above level 85. not expecting you to win though :p

Back