Release Pandora-Opentyrian : Opentyrian Ported To Pandora V1.0

zx-81

Certified Guru
Website
zx81.zx81.free.fr
opentyrian-snap.jpg

Hi All,

OpenTyrian is a port of the DOS shoot-em-up Tyrian. Jason Emery generously gave the OpenTyrian developers
a copy of the Tyrian 2.1 source code, which has since been ported from Turbo Pascal to C.
The port uses SDL, making it easily cross-platform.

See http://code.google.com/p/opentyrian/ for details.

Tyrian is an arcade-style vertical scrolling shooter.

Here is port on Pandora of the previous Wiz version :

http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/

Changelog :
- Add two scale modes to fit better Pandora Screen
- Support of pandora keys A, B, X, Y, Start, L, R
- PND Package

Tyrian 21 files are already present in the PND. See license.doc file for details.

Enjoy,

Zx.

sixela said:
Nice port!

Seriously, Opentyrian works beautifully on the Pandy!
:)

I concur! Thanks, have been waiting for this

Last edited by a moderator:
zx-81 said:
Enjoy,

Zx.

I really cannot understand how you manage to work that fast, you release ports almost daily!

Cheers and thanks for all of them, when I get my Pandora, I will definitely use most of them :)

WhiteFalcon said:
I really cannot understand how you manage to work that fast, you release ports almost daily!

Yesterday was the national day here in France, so i had a little spare time :D

This is awesome! I love Tyrian (my favorite shmup of all time :p )! The fullscreen mode is really nice, though it's kind of cut-off on the top & bottom. Do you think it'd be possible to alter it to have tiny black bars on the sides so that none of it is cut-off?

Azure said:
This is awesome! I love Tyrian (my favorite shmup of all time :p )! The fullscreen mode is really nice, though it's kind of cut-off on the top & bottom. Do you think it'd be possible to alter it to have tiny black bars on the sides so that none of it is cut-off?

Hi,

The scale is x2.5. It's quite easy and really fast to render, but i have to cut bottom and top with few lines (8 lines). What you want here is to do a x2.5 on width, and x2.4 on height. Of course it's feasable.

zx-81 said:
The scale is x2.5. It's quite easy and really fast to render, but i have to cut bottom and top with few lines (8 lines). What you want here is to do a x2.5 on width, and x2.4 on height. Of course it's feasable.
DaveC won't like you :D

What a superb game and a great port, many thanks again zx-81.

Looks great at 2X scale and runs like a dream on the Pandora.

Just a slight problem with your game .PND files though, they always seem to show up under OTHER in the menu. Wonder if we should just relabel other to 'zx-81 stuff'. The X48 calculator .PND shows up under office though.

sebt3 said:
zx-81 said:

:D ! you may find a new version on my blog (v1.1) with a new render mode "max" ...

zx-81 said:
Azure said:

Hi,

Err, what I was thinking was something that maintained the aspect ratio (not something that stretches the screen so that nothing is cut-off). So if it takes x2.4 on the height to fill up the vertical space without anything cut-off, I was thinking of x2.4 on the width as well :)

sebt3 said:
zx-81 said:
I just use 2X mode, that looks fine to me.

But yes fractionally scaled pixel art looks terrible.

The only issue I see is allot of screen tearing, but almost everything on the pandora does that :(

Tried yesterday and love it, tyrian is a awesome game and your port runs perfect smooth :)
thanks for that ;)

by
KK

maybe someone should concentrate on updating SDL, that would benefit EVERY port that uses SDL, or is everyone waiting for the 3D accelerated library?, it just needs a few tweaks to get sync working properly afaik, you can retro-fit the 3D acceleration later (and surely you need to fix the sync for swapping the GL drawn surfaces anyway?)

hobbyman II said:
maybe someone should concentrate on updating SDL, that would benefit EVERY port that uses SDL, or is everyone waiting for the 3D accelerated library?, it just needs a few tweaks to get sync working properly afaik, you can retro-fit the 3D acceleration later (and surely you need to fix the sync for swapping the GL drawn surfaces anyway?)

paeryn is working on sprucing up SDL.

-God Ginrai

Back