Pandora Pandora Media Center

Seriously, bad start. If you really want VB, you're very weird. And wanting to port to C# of all languages is also very weird, since it's unlikely there will be mono on the pandora.

There's no point in writing somthing with the sole purpose of later translating it to a different language, runtime and libraries.

Oh, and maybe this would work? XBMC

el_pocko, I want to thank you. Sense you think this is such a terrible idea, I'm going to pursue it to show you wrong. I will code the media center in C for linux. I will work on it alone If need be. Im sure there's other people on this forum that instead of complaining and shooting down my idea will actually help me. I thought this is what the forum was for, to share ideas with others, but it looks like el_pocko doesn't want to support fellow Open Pandora enthusiast.

Instead of attempting to reinvent the wheel, insisting that you can do it at least as well in a short period of time that took several people years to complete, why not just arrange to port XBMC quickly and easily, and spend your time and resources developing something new? Because if you do attempt to write something new, the first person to actually do a port of XBMC will beat you to the media center punch, and your app is likely to fall entirely to the wayside, even if it is just as good.

Noble, I am glad you are confident, but just be glad that there are enough people interested in such a project that you'll plenty of help.

I sincerely hope you succeed.

TheN0ble said:
I thought this is what the forum was for, to share ideas with others, but it looks like el_pocko doesn't want to support fellow Open Pandora enthusiast.
Well, it is. But it's also for feedback (wanted or not) and yours is a bad idea, for the reasons said by others and me. Leave VB and C# alone and do a little research.

You may end up doing something cool, but it would take too long a time to be useful. Since XBMC already has a linux version, porting that to opengl es would be both cool and useful. Reinventing the wheel is rarely a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
TheN0ble said:
el_pocko, I want to thank you. Sense you think this is such a terrible idea, I'm going to pursue it to show you wrong.

Good, go ahead! It would be great for everyone if you prove me wrong.

Im sure there's other people on this forum that instead of complaining and shooting down my idea will actually help me.

Look, i'm not 'shooting down' the basic idea of creating a media center. I'm just pointing out that your project is doomed to fail, considering the tools you decided to use, the implausible claims and the apparent lack of experience.

I thought this is what the forum was for, to share ideas with others, but it looks like el_pocko doesn't want to support fellow Open Pandora enthusiast.

Commitment isn't everything. Make some believable claims and you have my support.

Last edited by a moderator:
i wish you the best of luck..... i would advise you to use XMBC code as a base.... but it is up to you...

Why not just port mythtv? It has everything you need, you'd just have to get rid of the tv tuner portion which you could probably keep since there is usb tuners. Just a thought.

edit:

You know XBMC actually probably be a better idea.. never mind.

Back