Pandora Logo?

Eolair said:
I'm not too sure about the logo, but I didn't feel like making another box. There are plenty of box suggestions already and good ones too :)
So I thought about making an eye design instead. Something with antiquity and elegance in mind. I just went with that ;)
I can absolutely agree that there are enough boxes by now, but I would like to see something that actually has a thought behind it as far as what it means to the Pandora's name and use, otherwise, it's just a pretty piece of graphic. It IS pretty, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
A combination of the text and font used by cauterize and the logo from evilwallpaper. I cut and pasted from their work into a crude, flat (no drop shadows or reflections) image last night just to get an idea of how the two would work together.

Pandora.jpg

It might look better if the line width of the cube was the same as that of the font. Perhaps not. I'm no artist.

fusion_power said:
I totally love this one, it looks retro-ish :)

About the site by HyverPC, it looks fancy and all.. but it doesn't really express the pandora.. It could have been a template for any site.. But it's still a lot beter than the current OpenPandora website

Magnulus said:
I can absolutely agree that there are enough boxes by now, but I would like to see something that actually has a thought behind it as far as what it means to the Pandora's name and use, otherwise, it's just a pretty piece of graphic. It IS pretty, though.
Well I gave you my thoughts behind it. The logo I made is more about feelings than direct logical connections to Pandora and its use (I presume you wanted something as direct and logical as a Box...no such luck in this case).

I designed the logo around a few keywords; femininity, elegance, antiquity and communication, which is what I wanted the logo and this device to be associated with. I think you'll find that a lot of logos are designed in this way.

I picked an eye because it happens to be perfect for my keywords. First, I think of eyes when I think of a beautiful woman. Second, the eye is a common feature in antique art (Most prominently The eye of Horus and Re). And third, it's also the window to a person's soul and very important in communication.

I forgot to mention this before, but Pandora is also one of the moons of Saturn. That's what gave me the idea to put the crest of a moon around it (and also why there's a moon behind the logo in the picture on Pandora's screen).

LHC said:
because crudely drawn penises make the best logos
then someone needs to research the penis again, as I'd hate to try and use that.

Dubya' said:
It might look better if the line width of the cube was the same as that of the font. Perhaps not. I'm no artist.
I'm sure I've seen that cube design somewhere before?

A combination of the text and font used by cauterize and the logo from evilwallpaper

That's where you've seen it before :huh: :)

Eolair said:
Well I gave you my thoughts behind it. *snip*
Ah! Thanks for that. You didn't express yourself quite as thoroughly in your first response and I assumed that you were referring more generally to antiquity and elegance rather than going "deeper" into it. No, I didn't expect something like boxes, I was looking for something that was based on the themes and ideas behind the Pandora, and that's exactly what you've given me.

I'm sorry if I seemed judgemental of your work, I didn't mean it to sound as if you had put no thought at all behind your logo. I guess I had just gotten so used to the more literal themes of the other logos that I needed a little push to see where you were going with yours.

Eolair said:
I forgot to mention this before, but Pandora is also one of the moons of Saturn. That's what gave me the idea to put the crest of a moon around it (and also why there's a moon behind the logo in the picture on Pandora's screen).
Interesting, I like your logo even more knowing that.
Now, who's making a butterfly (Pandora Pinemoth) logo ?

Dubya' said:
A combination of the text and font used by cauterize and the logo from evilwallpaper. I cut and pasted from their work into a crude, flat (no drop shadows or reflections) image last night just to get an idea of how the two would work together.

Pandora.jpg

I feel that it SHOULDN'T be the same with as the text becuase then nothing would make it stand out, it would fade into the text and people wouldn't "Cling" to it. Alot of emotion happens through art and Logo Design Has to Capitalize on all of them. That being said EvilWallpapers is super sweet and his mixed with cauterize text is super awesome. I like Eolair's logo as well & the thought behind it, But I'm not really feeling the design of the Font, Looks to 1998 AVP to me .... Just opinions not a flame or a bash, I would really like to see what else you could do with a different typeface, But as for symbol, That one Rocks!

Lee
Zero Day Tech.

ZeroDayATK said:
I like Eolair's logo as well & the thought behind it, But I'm not really feeling the design of the Font, Looks to 1998 AVP to me .... Just opinions not a flame or a bash, I would really like to see what else you could do with a different typeface, But as for symbol, That one Rocks!

Lee
Zero Day Tech.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the font that Eolair used is the same as the GP2X logo. Believing this, I kind of like having the same font as GP2X (if it's allowed) since this is the spiritual successor to the 2X. I recognize that because it is the same font as the 2X, that this might be a reason to stay clear of using it.

prairiefire said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the font that Eolair used is the same as the GP2X logo. Believing this, I kind of like having the same font as GP2X (if it's allowed) since this is the spiritual successor to the 2X. I recognize that because it is the same font as the 2X, that this might be a reason to stay clear of using it.
It is similar but not the same. You can say it's in the same family :)

This is a great thread and some really lovely ideas. I had to have a go myself, just in black and white to start with...

pandora.jpg

I mainly worked on the symbol, as I thought that it might appear on it's own enigmatically in places, maybe on the inside of the machine itself, with the word on the outside.

The logo is a box, from the idea of Pandora's Box, so like a few of the ideas here it revolves around a cube shape. What I tried to do was to make a strong sense of three dimensions, and in doing so I created a triangle pointing forward to the right. This symbolises progress, and it's also a symbol for media player type malarky. I added the small highlight on the shape to give it a bit of sculptural form and to make it enigmatic, as you're not exactly sure how it's constructed. It 'pops' in and out with the shadows. It could be a open box you could put something into, or it could be a bent sheet of shiny black metal...

As for the type, I used a typeface as a starting point which shared some of the same shapes, and I chose to go lower case as that's more 'techy' and a bit less shouty. I always like a sense of quiet confidence rather than power or glitz. There's a subtle bit of shading in there too, but that could be going a bit far... When the type sits next to the logo, the vertical stem of the 'p' helps fill in the imaginary edge of the cube.

I also showed in inverted on black, which is still quite nice although it makes the 3D effect inverse too, which is interesting.

The tagline 'open minded' was just something I thought was nice, relevant and thought provoking, but it's there to show where any tagline (or URL) could go just as easily. Open being the open source nature of the machine and community mainly, but also the fact that it 'opens' literally. There could be some ad ideas there for Craig to market it.

What do you guys think? I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm happy to take suggestions on board for development. I'm a designer but my job is at a very corporate place so I've been desperate for something like this to have fun with!

It's going in my portfolio when it's finished whatever happens, so I'm happy.

®

I love the use of negative space in this last one. They say that negative space draws your attention, that's why lots of advertisers use it in logos.

This thread is a fistful of very good logos :)

I like 3 or 4 a lot, i could not choose one.

Back