Pandora Logo Looks Very Similar To Sgi's Old Logo

Hohlraum

Still Fresh
they probably still have it trademarked. think its different enough not to have to worry about litigation?

Yeah, and besides, they're both boxes. Considering it's a play on Pandora's Box, which dates back to thousands of years ago, I think it's generally okay. They're not too similar enough to have any problems.

We have an old SGI work station on one of our labs with the logo on it and I have to agree they are very close.

Tensuke said:
Yeah, and besides, they're both boxes. Considering it's a play on Pandora's Box, which dates back to thousands of years ago, I think it's generally okay. They're not too similar enough to have any problems.
Although Pandora's box would've actually been a large jar

The original Greek word used was pithos which is a large jar which could be as large as an adult human. It was used for storage of wine, for example or for funerary purposes as a human's grave.

The mistranslation of pithos as "box" is usually attributed to the 16th century humanist Erasmus of Rotterdam when he translated Hesiod's tale of Pandora into Latin. Hesiod's pithos refers to a storage jar for oil or grain. Erasmus, however, translated pithos into the Latin word pyxis, meaning "box". The phrase "Pandora's box" has endured ever since. This misconception was further backed by Dante Gabriel Rossetti's painting Pandora

Sorry, I've been waiting for the right time for that little bit of pedantry! :p [edit: oops - meant for that to be tiny!]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hohlraum said:
Pandora Logo Looks Very Similar To Sgi's Old Logo

Haha. I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought that. It's like the SGI logo as viewed from the back.

So..., can we get Irix to run on the Pandora? ;)

Kyosys said:
i don't think it looks that similar at all
Come on people, You've got to think in 3d! :)

The SGI logo is a 3d solid, not just a 2d image. Here, let me rotate it for you.

UpsideDownSGI.png

You can't miss the similarity now.

VRAndy said:
Come on people, You've got to think in 3d! :)
You're just not thinking fourth dimensionally!

(I do think 3D, and I even play in 3D ;) )

VRAndy said:
You can't miss the similarity now.
nope B)

Kyosys said:
point taken. The back of it looks similar to the pandoras front
Um, it is a symmetrical construct you can't impose an arbitrary viewpoint (granted the viewpoint of the SGI trademark is that way). I must think too much in 3D though :) :)

Back