Pandora Pandora Live Cd

ljones

Hello all :) !

Been trying to think about the quickest (and easiest) way to try to compile already existing programs for the pandora. In another thread I (incorrectly!) suggested TCC though it only outputs x86. D'oh :) .

But here's a thought. There are possibly several people who will have a pandora and who *can* compile stuff with the normal "./configure, make, make install" routine but don't know how to set up a whole develepment system or write code. Was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to grab one of the linux live CDs, set it up especially for pandora program compilation (with all the tools) and then use that for those of us who just want to compile up a few programs? Just have it as a downloadable ISO?

Good or bad idea?

ljones

Granted, this is medium/high level:
http://www.rjmitchell.ca/~jeff/blog2009/2010/06/02/getting-up-and-going-with-a-crosscompiler-for-pandora-arm-in-5-minutes/

Still, for those who can't figure out setting up a dev environment, "./configure; make" probably work work either ;)

I can go more into detail than the above blog post (exact things to type, etc, or build cross compiler from scratch), but thats just to see what interest there is.

jeff

A cross compile environment on a iso? I'd love it
especially if it has the same lib versions of the official firmware, and can compile for both x86 and arm

You would officialy be in "I'll buy you a beer if I ever meet you" territory

If people want, it'd be pretty easy to set up a VMware disk image that has (say) ubuntu+CSL on it or something. Pretty big file though (couple hundred MB probably), but not hard to make. Other people have done it before though a couple months ago, I think, in fact.

jeff

Thanks skeezix for the post on your blog....it's very usefull...i must try to make a VirtualBox image for me...if i can.

/slightly offtopic

Actually what i would really love is a giant toolchain.pnd file

insert SD card
*poof*
instant native CLI dev chain

I am not at the right comfort level to attempt that myself (yet)

I've thought about it actually.. Launch the pnd and it just opens a terminal window, wih all the Dev tools in path. Kill he terminal to let the pnd exit. While terminal present the pnd is kept open, and you could use other tools against it - ide's etc.

Crazy but workable easily :)

skeezix said:
If people want, it'd be pretty easy to set up a VMware disk image that has (say) ubuntu+CSL on it or something. Pretty big file though (couple hundred MB probably), but not hard to make. Other people have done it before though a couple months ago, I think, in fact.

jeff
Might be better to use Arch or similar, just because it's easy to update with the latest stuff and you don't have to have anything in that you don't want. Possible to strip down ubuntu similarly, of course, but it might be easier with something like Arch.

Last edited by a moderator:
skeezix said:
I've thought about it actually.. Launch the pnd and it just opens a terminal window, wih all the Dev tools in path. Kill he terminal to let the pnd exit. While terminal present the pnd is kept open, and you could use other tools against it - ide's etc.

Crazy but workable easily :)

Don't let the craziness stop you from wasting a weekend ;-) lol

I have an old laptop reserved to install the first "officially unofficial" dev chain (does that make sense? there is no official dev chain yet right?)
I will be installing that as soon as i get mail from germany.

You could also look at http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52343-pandora-sdk-installer/, I think those are 2 very nice scripts to get a toolchain installed very easily.

I'll be honest, it's setting up a compiler environment and all that malarkey which will be the barrier to my getting started on the Pandora, so anything which removes that barrier is a "good thing". That said I'll be working from Windows so I expect I'll just try and farm out the job to a kindly stranger anyhoo. :p

Put. The. Compiler. On. The Pandora.

It has more than enough power to build software, folks. Plenty of power, in fact.

torpor said:
Put. The. Compiler. On. The Pandora.

It has more than enough power to build software, folks. Plenty of power, in fact.
+1

Back