Pandora Lite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgr

Still Fresh
I love the spec's of the device, but what about the size?
It has been compared to the size of the original DS but that is just too big and clunky. How many people would really walk around in public with something the size of the DS in their pocket? It's just too big.
How about trying to shrink it down a little by reducing key size and removing empty spaces from the lower section so that it is closer in size to the screen area of the upper section?
As it stands it's missing the opportunity to be a serious competitor to the Zaurus line of PDA's and the Nokia Internet Tablets and even to the Nintendo D S Lite which is still more aesthetically attractive.
Maybe if it's too late to implement this now then perhaps in a version 2?
What are your thoughts?

Thanks & Regards,
Roger

No, no, it's around the size of a DS LITE, not original. If a Lite doesn't fit in your pocket, you need to stop wearing those skinny jeans :p

It's not the "key size" and "empty spaces" that determine the size, it's what's inside the case. From the looks of things, everything is crammed in tight with nothing to spare (including a big-ass battery). I don't think you could save much even with a ground-up redesign.

btw the DS Phat is easy enough to slip into a pocket, and this will be smaller.

There isn't any free space anywhere in the device, apart from maybe a very small amount on either side of the LCD above and below the speakers.

I would love for it to be smaller but I like everything smaller. If you look on YouTube there is a video comparing it to the DS Lite (mockup), it IS bigger than the DS Lite in that video but the most telling part is when Craig or whoever it is, opens up the unit, look at how it fits in his hand, its actually very small, and I am happy with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WOMFrOCti4

Last edited by a moderator:
Strider-No.9 said:
I would love for it to be smaller but I like everything smaller. If you look on YouTube there is a video comparing it to the DS Lite (mockup), it IS bigger than the DS Lite in that video but the most telling part is when Craig or whoever it is, opens up the unit, look at how it fits in his hand, its actually very small, and I am happy with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WOMFrOCti4

I was under the impression that the Pandora in the video was for developers, and that the actual one will have a more streamlined case. If this is true, it might fit better into a pocket afterwards

fishybawb said:
No, no, it's around the size of a DS LITE, not original. If a Lite doesn't fit in your pocket, you need to stop wearing those skinny jeans :p
According to the wiki it's sized in between a DS and DS Lite, closer to the original. In terms of pocket-bulge, damn near the same as the DS original, probably slightly more given that it doesn't taper towards the ends.

Personally I think that's just about ok, and I'll take it for the functionality and battery life, no question.

It will be more streamlined in the final version yes.

We could make it smaller if you don't mind crappy battery life, but I'd rather have the full 10 hours, and I think when you see it in real life you will be amazed by how small it is.

No, no, no. In the youtube video it's pretty good. If it's going to be any smaller than that, thats a plus. I wouldn't sacrifice the battery at all.

Exophase said:
I think every topic on this forum has a twin somewhere.
but how can we tell which one is the evil one?

waffles said:
its obvious, we just have to look for goatees.
<snip>
No, it's always the one on the left.

magicman5421 said:
the sinister one...
if you look at the etymology, sinistra means left in latin.
i see what you did there.

Why is this even being asked before its released, before you have even had your hands on it, before you have even seen the finalized design?
christ.

I think Pandora is extremely good looking but please do the needful and make it this small:

8563578783b39728b22myp6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back