Pandora Keyboard

Squidge said:
3Designer said:
Squidge said:
Yeah, taking the pandora and that is always going to be better than a laptop.
No need for sarcasm here.. Would have expected a dedicated member like you to appreciate peoples enthousiasm a bit more..

It's not sarcasm, the most used application on my laptop is remote desktop, which the Pandora will have also. Laptops are still more difficult to carry around compared to something like a Pandora which you put in your coat pocket, and the Pandora should last longer without mains for the applications I mainly use.

Alright srry for that one then :p Anyway it's cool that so much people have thought about stuff like this already.. And there are so many possibilities with usb gadgets for the Pandora including the more and less useful ones on dealextreme.. :p Does anyone have any experience with this site by the way?

Last edited by a moderator:
mindlord said:
Expensive I know, but very backpackable at a mere 11 1/2 inches x 4 1/2 inches. The smallest "Full Size" keyboard one can find: Happy Hacker Lite 2
Plus a 2 port USB hub... gravy.

Looks interesting, but that's not a "Full Size" keyboard. A full keyboard includes a numpad.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Looks interesting, but that's not a "Full Size" keyboard. A full keyboard includes a numpad.
-God Ginrai

Full size meaning, not tiny little thumbsize keys or laptop style keys. The full travel kind, you find on good desktop keyboards.

Well, in that respect, you may be right.

Anyways, I'd kill to find a keyboard that had a D-pad instead of the Arrow keys. That would be the best for me.

-God Ginrai

Similar to that, but I'm pretty sure that that splits the input (the game controls are sent through the controller plug and the keyboard controls are sent through the USB) I need something like that, but where the input for the keyboard's arrow keys is a D-pad.

-God Ginrai

EDIT: I only need the D-pad as well, not all the other gaming controls. I would just like the Arrow keys that are normally on a keyboard replaced with a D-pad.

God Ginrai said:
Similar to that, but I'm pretty sure that that splits the input (the game controls are sent through the controller plug and the keyboard controls are sent through the USB) I need something like that, but where the input for the keyboard's arrow keys is a D-pad.

-God Ginrai

EDIT: I only need the D-pad as well, not all the other gaming controls. I would just like the Arrow keys that are normally on a keyboard replaced with a D-pad.
I found something similar to that: DiNovo Mini
But it's $150! and not a very usable keyboard either... In fact, it looks like a major pain in the arse.

Additionally there's the DiNovo Edge with it's Ipod like wheelpad thingy that could possibly double as a D-Pad
At $200! dollars you'd have to be at least two out of: dog drool drinking insane, rose petal shitting rich, or self administered lobotomy stupid to want one. :)

The Mini seems close, but it seems that both of them are meant to replace mouse input, so it's a no-go. :\

-God Ginrai

atomicthumbs said:
If I get an alternate keyboard for my Pandora, I'm going to get a good clicky keyboard from Unicomp.

I currently own two original IBM Model M keyboards. I use one at work, and one at home. If they didn't weigh a million pounds (and had a usb cable), I'd use one on the Pandora as well.

Of course I have a 3 port usb hub|ps/2 keyboard|ps/2 mouse port dongle that would make it possible.

God Ginrai said:
The Mini seems close, but it seems that both of them are meant to replace mouse input, so it's a no-go. :\

-God Ginrai
Pretty sure it has two modes, one for mouse input on the pad, one for D-Pad-like functionality (meant to control a media center app) ;)

I second that question. I imagine it to be rather painful to type with, as there are no actual keys.

Agreed. The lack of tactile feedback would drive me insane as well. It seems to me it would be very easy to slip off the home keys and start typing gibberish. :)

since how were on the subject of flexible keyboards, their actually fairly easy to make.
most cheapo usb keyboards use the same setup, they just have pushbutton keys over them.
if you have a extra lying around, i would try taking the membrane out and labeling the keys to see if you like it.

JakeK said:
PoisonedV said:
Qatz said:
For a bit nerdier alternative http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/8193/

I have one, I got the same model for 100 dollars. Proves what an overpriced piece of shit thinkgeek is, I don't care if its related to sourceforge.

Is it any good?

Actually, yes, its awesome. Takes a while to get used to, and not ideal for all situations- I usually had to have a hardcover book or something on my lap if I wanted to use it on the train but it was still really cool.

PoisonedV said:
Actually, yes, its awesome. Takes a while to get used to, and not ideal for all situations- I usually had to have a hardcover book or something on my lap if I wanted to use it on the train but it was still really cool.
You don't have problems with the lack of tactile feedback? Or sensitivity/accuracy of the "keys"? Also (the eternal question), does it work with Linux? On the thinkgeek page it says there are drivers for Win2k and XP, and though it apparently works with OSX, you cannot change brightness, key repeat rate or sensitivity. There is no mention of Linux.

I saw this ages ago, and it always seemed to me like it was cool but not very practical.

BigTruck said:
PoisonedV said:
You don't have problems with the lack of tactile feedback? Or sensitivity/accuracy of the "keys"? Also (the eternal question), does it work with Linux? On the thinkgeek page it says there are drivers for Win2k and XP, and though it apparently works with OSX, you cannot change brightness, key repeat rate or sensitivity. There is no mention of Linux.

I saw this ages ago, and it always seemed to me like it was cool but not very practical.

It isn't practical, and to type well at all you really have to memorize the keys. It's just fun to show off with at conventions and whatnot. ;)

Back