Pandora In Januaray Issue Of "gamedeveloper"

satacoy

Still Fresh
I received the January issue of GameDeveloper magazine yesterday, and on page 5 is a half page blurb on the Pandora. It gives a brief overview of how it originated, what it's about, and gives a run down of the specs.

It's good to see Pandora coverage in the mainstream game development press!

atomicthumbs: just pester somebody you know with a subscription, they get sent a pdf version ;)

Perhaps wait until the next issue is out before sharing a scan/pdf (as Duddyroar did when his feature was in GamesTM). I want to see it now too, but fair is fair.

It's a pretty neat write-up.

And it's got a nice eye-catching image of Pandora right on it.

ooh, you can buy the current issue in digital format!

http://www.gdmag.com

[edit] Removed PDF reference, I don't think that's the format. Anyway, just purchased. $4US, not bad.

[edit2] It is a nice little writeup. Brief, not much more than a sidebar, but gives a good rundown of the history, the specs, and the capabilities that have already been demo'd. I do think a press release needs to be done when the first batch ships, if only to get some newer renders out there.

seriously, screw new renders... people would love actual pics, and at launch they'll probably have one ;)

@PlopperZ
Regarding the Blog. You shouldn't put a scan of the article there, unless you asked the publishers for permission. A scan was posted in this thread, luckily I saw it before it was deleted :p
The article is just a pretty boring summary if you ask me.

mali said:
@plopperz
Regarding the Blog. You shouldn't put a scan of the article there, unless you asked the publishers for permission. A scan was posted in this thread, luckily I saw it before it was deleted :p
The article is just a pretty boring summary if you ask me.
True enough. I wrote that there mainly in the hope that someone would post the scan here, I wouldn't post it on the blog itself. However, since it's been posted and deleted here, I'll edit out that sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, not only is that a really old render, it's Fluffy's (unofficial) really old render. We have a high rez version of the new render on the official site just for magazines and such. I wonder why they didn't use that?

Chip said:
Wow, not only is that a really old render, it's Fluffy's (unofficial) really old render. We have a high rez version of the new render on the official site just for magazines and such. I wonder why they didn't use that?
The best answer I can give for that is, they take the render from the 'size-comparison' link on the middle column on openpandora.org

Chip said:
I've noticed this problem on a lot when Pandora is found in the media (magazine, website, etc.). They seem to almost always include outdated renders on there. My guess is because this outdated render just plain *looks* more interesting than the latest renders available (this one is shiny and has a 3D game super-imposed on the screen; the others aren't shiny and just have a boring "PANDORA" written on the screen). I always figure that they find this picture either through that center link on the main page or by doing a simple google image search and picking the most attractive picture.

^ I think you're 100% correct.

Even though real pics are on the way, I think this needs to be fixed now. Media coverage is ramping up, and every time that old pic is used, how many thousands of people are going to see that old render with the crappy keyboard? (No offense Fluffy, you were just working with what you had at the time).

Let's fix it. If you've got 'shopping skills, put a REALISTIC game shot on this:

http://www.openpandora.org/bigone.jpg

...and post it here.

By realistic, I mean not some huge PC or console game. Think Quake 3, maybe even Doom 3, or anything that looks nice. It has to be within the realm of possibility for Pandora, and should not violate any copyrights. It definitely should NOT be an emulated game.

It should also have a Pandora logo watermarked on the screen somewhere, prominent but not too dominating. [edit] Get the logo here. Thanks to Gadgetoid.

If we can come up with something that OpenPandora are willing to use, it's literally five minutes work for ED to drop the new version of "bigone.jpg" in, and point the Size Comparison link to bigone.jpg as well (the SD card in the render makes it fine for this purpose).

I think this will get the media using it, and it really needs to be done. So, dear readers, let's get to it. :)

how's this look?

the screen shot is from http://www.gltron.org/ a free linux/OSX/win32 game that could probably run on the Pandora. I was going to use PSone SFalpha but I guess an emulated game would be pretty bad, Gltron on the other hand seems to be getting by without much hassles since its currently released under the GNU General Public License. I also cleaned up the SD card because it was was looking a bit weird to me.

Back