pandora demo scene

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site
Some people working on demo's? I just thought that the pandora has a real amiga feel but is missing the demos..

Last edited by a moderator:
i never got the point of the demo scene, why make something to show off what you can do, that doesn't really do that much?

I am not into the demo scene either, but some people like to make digital art that is not interactive entertainment. After all demos are "just" programmed, digital movies.

I like how they try to express stuff with often irritating, innovative or plain beautiful visuals or push the boundaries with size-limits, there is some impressive stuff out there.

Demos are showing off what the dev or the hardware or both can do. Its 'fun' to challenge yourself to push something to the extreme, and you can produce some gorgeous or cool or neat pieces.

ITs like writing games in the 256-byte or 1k or 4k competitions .. what can you pull off in 4K these days? You'd be surprised .. I've seen 4k demos that leverage a PC GPU and extrapolite full 3d scenes with trains, clouds, rainfall .. unbelievable stuff.

But you don't know until you try..

... in the old days of course, the demo scene was often related to the cracker scene, since overlapping skillsets implied similar people. But modern demos are just demos, fancy showoffs.

jeff

These days the main demo categories I'm interested in are size-limited ones (4k, 64k), special devices (cellphones are becoming too powerful for this though :D , maybe calculators or LCD watches or something), and freeform "anything goes as long as you can get it to run on this standardized hardware". The first is awesome because it actually takes a lot of technical skill, the second takes creativity, and the third artistic talent. There are in-between categories that I'm not so interested in. The best ones are usually the ones with the most restrictions :D . Forces creativity.

EDIT: The best ones are not those that do a lot, but those that do something others could not :)

i never got the point of the demo scene, why make something to show off what you can do, that doesn't really do that much?
Why paint a picture? Why write a book? Why sing a song? Why do anything artistic that doesn't really do anything?

Found this video yesterday that notas uploaded a while back of some nice demos showing off what the pandora hardware is capable of.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/wnr4HCIoFlk?feature=oembed

Would be good to see some devs make some more crazy demos, that try to push the hardware as far as it can go, so we can show off what the hardware is really capable of graphics wise, beyond emulation.

I've seen that one before, and I must say that I never get bored watching it, because it is sooooo awesome (even for todays standards).

Back