Pandora 2 release date?

3_bit

I'm not trying to start rumours here, but does anyone think it might be a good idea if the OP team had some closed beta tests in December and presented the device at CES 2014? It might be extremely popular if the team could get in-- we all saw the reaction the Switchblade and Edge got. Yes, those are PCs, but it might be really rake in orders so long as production has been set up. It might also be a great chance to get gamers interested in Open-Source and Linux, which could be a three-way win, provided that the Switchblade isn't released in 2013, potentially stealing the most of the portable gaming market.

I'm not trying to start rumours here, but does anyone think it might be a good idea if the OP team had some closed beta tests in December and presented the device at CES 2014? It might be extremely popular if the team could get in-- we all saw the reaction the Switchblade and Edge got. Yes, those are PCs, but it might be really rake in orders so long as production has been set up. It might also be a great chance to get gamers interested in Open-Source and Linux, which could be a three-way win, provided that the Switchblade isn't released in 2013, potentially stealing the most of the portable gaming market.
is "open source" as attractive as linux(or android) any more?

Well it's the best shot the team has, as FOSDEM didn't seem to attract many people (from what I know)

Bringing the Pandora to the CES would be a huge cost factor: at least ED has to fly to the U.S.A, materials for the booth have to be transported (or bought/made) there, rental fee have to be paid (wich surely will be quite high).

Then ED and his volunteers have to sit there beside big companies with expensive booths, with attractive women around, big flatscreens and such, showing off the newest hardware. And then the average joe gamer comes round:

ED: Hey this is the OpenPandora a small Linux PC that fits in your pocket and is basically a jack of all trades. It comes with Linux...

AJG: Wait Linux, I heard of it, thats this new thing the Steam guys came around with, great but how will I play Team Fortress with these controls ?

ED: No, this has nothing to do with Steam, Linux is an open source operating system, which basically gives everyone the ability do whatever he likes with his os.

AJG: Ok, but I can install Windows 8 on it right

ED: No..

AJG: But Windows 7 ?

ED: No..

AJG: What windows version works on this, Windows 9 ?

ED: Well, you could run Windows95/98 through Qemu..

AJG: Never heard how it, can I run Battlefield 4, GTA5, Cyperpunk 2777, etc. on this.

ED: No theses games won't work on the Pandora.

etc, etc, etc.

A sad ED sits back down, but then one of the girls from the adjacent booth takes a look and comes by:

ABG: Hey there, what did use to wash your hair, it looks so shiny.

ED: ???

ABG (turning around): Hey Girls, you have to see this !

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure it will come out February 30th +/- 2 Months to 2 years.

I'm sure someone who has an OP and is a mod/admin on the forums lives in the US and could go... I'm sure fundraising is a possibility, as there is almost 12 months to go.

Back