Overclocking Vs Life Expectancy

xteraco

Still Fresh
I was wondering. Will running my WIZ at higher clock rates (666mhz -> 700mhz) degrade the life expectancy of the device? What are your experiences with overclocking. How often do you run at speeds higher than stock?

-xtz

xteraco said:
I was wondering. Will running my WIZ at higher clock rates (666mhz -> 700mhz) degrade the life expectancy of the device? What are your experiences with overclocking. How often do you run at speeds higher than stock?

-xtz

Doubtful. The small amount of extra heat created by overclocking the Wiz is not likely to damage it. I noticed many of the apps now offer up to a 900MHz overclock although I rarely go that high.

Last edited by a moderator:
Overclocking does degrade life expectancy on all devices.
Its not a fast process! It will most likely never die.. I just thought I would throw that out there.

I tried 900mhz for the gpsp emu. Bad idea. Instant crash hehe.

xteraco said:

-xtz

It's been my experience that processors can be hurt by overclocking them too high and the failure happens right away (not with the WIZ, bu PC/MAC processors), but if you run it overclocked, but at a mhz that the processor is stable at it doesn't hurt them, even in the long run.

Well overclocking the Wiz is only a tiny bit more heat. Even on a desktop CPU in order to hurt the processor it seems you have to actually burn it up if it's even possible. In the case of Intel processors they have built-in thermal protection and just shut down if they overheat. Someone that knows more than I can correct me if I'm wrong, but what's overclocking the Wiz gonna do, reduce the processors life from 20 years to only 10 or something. I remember the variability in the overclockability of the GP2X was said to be about memory stability more than heat. If the issue is about heat I'm gonna open my Wiz and put a heatsink on the CPU and maybe I can Get to 1 GHZ. I like my Wiz but it's an inexpensive device and I'm personally not gonna worry about it. I think I read the OLED display on the Wiz had a limited life expectancy of maybe a couple of years anyway (correct me if I'm wrong please).

computarman said:
Well overclocking the Wiz is only a tiny bit more heat. Even on a desktop CPU in order to hurt the processor it seems you have to actually burn it up if it's even possible. In the case of Intel processors they have built-in thermal protection and just shut down if they overheat. Someone that knows more than I can correct me if I'm wrong, but what's overclocking the Wiz gonna do, reduce the processors life from 20 years to only 10 or something. I remember the variability in the overclockability of the GP2X was said to be about memory stability more than heat. If the issue is about heat I'm gonna open my Wiz and put a heatsink on the CPU and maybe I can Get to 1 GHZ. I like my Wiz but it's an inexpensive device and I'm personally not gonna worry about it. I think I read the OLED display on the Wiz had a limited life expectancy of maybe a couple of years anyway (correct me if I'm wrong please).

A heat sink? On an ARM CPU? Why?

Open up your wiz, clock it to 900mhz and touch the CPU...

You want a little CPU that warms easily (and readily), check out the Ingenic CPU in the Dingoo.
I actually developed a heat spreader for that thing.

I don't know if my Wiz has ever warmed for any reason other than my greasy meathooks gripping the thing no matter what the clock setting.

strider_mt2k said:
You want a little CPU that warms easily (and readily), check out the Ingenic CPU in the Dingoo.
I actually developed a heat spreader for that thing.

I don't know if my Wiz has ever warmed for any reason other than my greasy meathooks gripping the thing no matter what the clock setting.

The Dingoo is MIPs isn't it? They can get hot, it's probably why Sony have an ARM in the PSP2. They could not really go much further with the MIPs.

craigix said:
computarman said:

A heat sink? On an ARM CPU? Why?

Open up your wiz, clock it to 900mhz and touch the CPU...

I was just saying if indeed heat was the issue with stability that I would add a heatsink if it would allow me to overclock the Wiz even more. I have no idea if the Wiz gets hot but I noticed that my DS arm 9 when in operation, actually does get a bit warm.

craigix said:
It will get warm but it won't get anywhere neat the 'burn your finger / fry an egg' temps of an x86.
Depends on the SoC. I've overclocked some before and you can't hold you finger on for longer than about half a second tops before its too hot to keep it there. The only way I could keep the chip running was with a continuous supply of freezer spray. If you keep them within specifications, then yes, I agree, they are then much cooler.

I actually got a 486DX to literally glow red once by forcing the half the national grid through it - strangely though it did cut out, the chip survived and I still have the it in a crappy little laptop I use as a server for my c64 (it's 40mb HDD is more than enough for my c64 games). Every PC I've ever had I've overclocked knowing that even if the chip blows up in 2 years I'll be able to replace it for a fraction of its current price - except for my new intel I7 2.66ghz that is. Not really much point overclocking that SOB.

Back