Overclocking, Ram Hack, Ect.

Kibiru

Still Fresh
I just ordered my GP2X from Play-Asia (for emulation purposes, of course), and was browsing around these forums to see what I might expect. I see a lot about how you need to overclock your GP2x to run certain emulators (or roms... or whatever...), and something about a RAM hack? I don't know, I looked all around, but I see no explanation. It worries me a bit that I'll have to do a lot of tweaking before I can even use the handheld the way I wanted to. Would it be too much to ask for someone to explain how this all works to me? Thanks in advance!

I just ordered my GP2X from Play-Asia (for emulation purposes, of course), and was browsing around these forums to see what I might expect. I see a lot about how you need to overclock your GP2x to run certain emulators (or roms... or whatever...), and something about a RAM hack? I don't know, I looked all around, but I see no explanation. It worries me a bit that I'll have to do a lot of tweaking before I can even use the handheld the way I wanted to. Would it be too much to ask for someone to explain how this all works to me? Thanks in advance!

Don't worry too much about it, everything will become clearer as you read the manual and install your first game. I've never had to perform any RAM hack, and all of the emulators on my GP2X only depend on the overclocking that's performed within each emulator.

You definitely should read this, it will answer most of your questions:

http://www.gpnewbie.com/gp2x/faq.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not exactly know what you mean with RAM Hack, but if you mean the MMU Hack, so cool down. You dont need to do anything. The app is doing the Work or ya. If the new Timings are meant... Some apps use them already, some need "help". I recommend the new timings EVERYWHERE (I tested them ~3 days before I posted them on this board where they were ignored. Craig found them some weeks later and mentioned them in a new post)

Still bitter about not getting enough credit for those timings eh? ;)
Don't worry, we know you found them first.

Also Kibiru, dont worry you dont have to tinker around with the gp2x to get things working, it basically works like this... in the menu's of some emulators it gives you the option to increase the cpu speed, or to turn on some features like Ram timing, or second core use, or whatever. It's no more complicated a process than if you went into a pc game and changed anything in the Video menu. :)

Thanks a bunch ^^

I feel relieved that it won't be a problem for me.

mmu? cpu changer? I think you're underestimating how much of a newb I am. Oh well, I'm sure I'll figgure it out when I need to.

Basically, you won't need to worry about any of it unless you feel like tweaking things a bit to make them run faster (only useful on a couple of emulators and Quake, really).

Back