Overclocked Stuff

A new version of pituka 1.0d final at 166mhz could be nice
cause the 156mhz version don't run fullframe rate...

many thanx

Zap posted on Apr 20 2005 at 01:42 PM said:
Horscht posted on Mar 14 2005 at 07:02 PM said:
no, unfortunaly I have no clue about compiling or coding at all (all I know is that what you posted is code), what I do is Hex-edit already compiled fxe's/gxb's. So I can't use the code you posted to hex edit the fxes.

mirko's gp clock tester has all frequencies from 133 to 256 with a step of 4 MHz, maybe you could have a look at it to find the hex values ?

Well, I would have no clue what the correct hex avlues would be. Opening an 100 kb .fxe has a massive ammount of Hex values.

blondin posted on Apr 20 2005 at 05:43 PM said:
A new version of pituka 1.0d final at 166mhz could be nice
cause the 156mhz version don't run fullframe rate...

many thanx
Allright, will have a look into it on friday. School comes first (I have a Physics test on friday and have no clue baout the topic atm)

Last edited by a moderator:
Horscht - any chance of you OC'ing FSMS as well? This one definately has problems running a good framerate at whatever speed it defaults at (assuming 133). Maybe a 160, 180, and 200mhz version? Would love to play some of my favorit GG games w/o FS if possible.

I had the link to the page that showed how to hex edit programs to overclock but the page is gone now, think it was gp32.co.uk? The one that got hacked :(

well, as already said, not before friday (still haven't done ANYTHING for my test tomorrow). At friday I will have a look at pituka, and perhaps on fSMS as well.

sweet, if you get a chance to do fSMS that would make my collection of OC'd emu's complete. fGB at 180mhz is amazing... FS 0 and all my GBC games work perfectly now with Vsync on! I can only imagine what this would do for fSMS as well.

I used a hex editor and looked for those values on the list but didn't find ANYTHING matching the values for speed OR cpu parameters. I wonder what your'e doing different?? As a long time ago I also tried to OC Little John and used the same method but never found the hex strings for 132 or 133mhz...

What I'm doing different is using uncompressed FXE's. I have a trick (patent pending :p ) to uncompress already compressed fxes (It's so bloody simple, I can't believe noone had the idea before me :huh: ), but this process involves a tool which could easily be used (I even think it was concepted for) piracy. Well, I'm not sure if I can post the information here, but anyways, I'll do it.

1. Get Geepee32
2. Get GP32d from darkfaders site (not giving a link)
3. make an .smc image with the emus you want to overclock.
4. fire up Geepee32 and load your smc image. Don't load an emu, yet!
5. Read the textfile that comes with GP32d. It tells you something about a breakpoint.
6. in Geepee32 go to tools->Disasembler and set the break point (BP EXEC)
7. load up the emulator inside Geepee.
8. Geepee should pause emulation at some point (the menu of the emu (.fxe) should not be visible, but it wouldn't hurt if it was)
9. Dump the whole RAM to something simple (eg dump.bin)
10. Open command line (start-> execute-> cmd) and"browse" to where you stored GP32d.exe and the dump.bin file
11.Type "gp32d dump.bin game.gxb" without the "
12.Search for the proper Hex values in game.gxb and edit them to whatever clockspeed you want.
13. You can recompile your GXBs with mr spivs b2fxec to add an icon, title and to make it smaller.

@Mods: If you don't feel comfortable with this description, feel free to edit it.

Horscht - thanks for the great walkthru... Is there any devver knowledge needed to operate any of these apps?

How to I recompile the GXB after I hexedit it? I'd definately like to give this a shot.

Um... not to sound too lazy, but just in case, can you pleeeeeez tack a crack at OC'ing fSMS if/when you get a chance?

Okay, got my hands on GP32D, FXE Maker, SMC Maker, and GeePee32.

Took the fSMS fxe, turned it into an SMC. Verified it was actually working in Geepee and could actually run the emu (had some problems getting the SMC setup but finally got it working).

Loaded the SMC, and entered the break point in the disassembler before starting the emu in GeePee. After entering the break point, loaded the emu in GeePee, and it pauses right after the GP32 load screen right where the emu would start. Dumped the full memory to dump.bin. Ran GP32D on the dump.bin creating game.gxb. Open the .gxb in a hex editor (XVI32) and searched for every single string on your list, both the clockspeed ones and the parameter ones... no matches...

Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: just to test, I tried the exact same process on littlejohn v.4. Now I know this should have worked since you yourself (Horscht) have already hacked this to OC. I tried looking for 132 and 133mhz I know the stock LittleJohn runs at one of those, but I didn't find the strings from your list in the .gxb. So either I'm looking for the wrong strings or I"m doing something wrong..... I'm using the hex values for speed that were once listed at gp32world.co.uk..... hellllllp!

EDIT again: two things, I thought it might be worth mentioning, that on GeePee32, I am using the taiwanese BLU+ firmware instead of the old firmware that needs the launcher, and #2, I downloaded the .gxb's that you provided and checked them and in each one I DID find the hex strings for 132mhz.... so I must be doing something wrong :(

Then try to start the emu WITHOUT the breakpoint, and wait till you can select a rom, and pause the emulation yourself. And you have to dump the RAM only.

yeah I've been dumping the ram only, from 0C000000 to 00800000

I'll try your suggestion

nope that worked... now one last question, where can I get the fSMS icon to use for recompiling the .bin file?

you can extract it from the original fsms.fxe with aquafishs icon extractor, or you can make a screenshot from the launcher within Geepee (the launcher where you can see all games on your .smc image), make a screenshot (F12) and then edit the image with photoshop or something. Remeber: it has to be .bmp with a special palette. I think the palette is also available at darkfaders site.

I'm gonna go nuts... SO CLOSE!!!

well I got aquafishes extractor, and extracted the icon from the orignal fxe, now I'm trying to use fxemaker to turn the .bin back to .fxe and using THAT icon that I extracted, and it's giving me some error message starting with the words "8 bit" and the rest of the message is in another language because it's scrambled.

now what/??

uhm, try b2fxec from mr. spivs site. And did you convert the .bin file to .gxb with GP32d before you tried to edit it?

OMG what a pain in the ass this was but I got it working!!!

Yeah I was following your directions to the letter. Converted the dumped RAM (dump.bin) to gxb, edited in hex editor (your idea worked!! I dumped the ram with the emu running at the rom selection screen, didn't use a break), saved then converted back to .bin with gp32d. I used aquafishs extractor to extract the icon... but it was extracting them in the wrong bit depth!!!!

So I had to open the icon in ms paint and save as 256 color .bmp

then I used fxe maker and NOW it accepts my bmp! so it worked finally.

I did get mr spivs utility too but fxe maker works fine

So now I have a 180mhz fSMS32... SUH-WEEEET!!!! Again thanks Horscht for the walkthru... though right now I wish I'd just stayed lazy and waited for you to do it :D I felt bad though too many people just sit around waiting for others to do stuff for them I decided to take a crack at it... well it's been educational!!

Final result?? fSMS now runs fullspeed with sound at frameskip 0 with Vsync turned onto the highest setting (accurate - this setting usually slows the emu WAAAAY down) and double buffering enabled.... 0 FS!!! ... looks at plays great!

Thanks again Horscht!!!

EDIT: man 180mhz is TOO fast, the music plays very fast and the games run a bit too fast as well. Gonna slow it down to 166mhz and see what happens :)

Don't set any compression manualy. It atuomaticaly sets FXE algorithm 3. BTW: you don't have to convert your Hex edited GXBs to BIN.

Back