Os9xgp-0.3beta Is Out!

Arch posted on Aug 17 2004 at 03:20 PM said:
is mario kart playable at full speed without sound?
Over here it runs at about 7fps with sound and 14fps without @166Mhz.

My oppinion about the 0.3 release after some more testing:

I can see some speed improvements without sound, but to be honest most the games I played ran at fullspeed without sound already on 0.2, so this realease doesn't make much of a difference.
Well it is a great realease from a programmers point of view, but from a gamers point of view it doesn't change much.
It promises a lot though, thx yoyofr ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
im realy impressed with this release the speed increase is a super bonus, sensible soccer is fantstic to play i love it.

this emulator looks real good too the layout is super sexy.

so a super thanks to all the OS9XGP team for such a GREAT emu

I completely agree with the idea about money for coders.
But not only for emulator coders but for all!
EveryOne should get a paypal account and when someone get some interest to the game, he can cheer by paying 1 or 2$.
Everybody should fine enough like that.

7fps to 14fps? That's a *big* jump due to sound... pity; I don't like starting a game without sound since its very hard to turn it on half-way through.

However, I'll give this a try in the next few hours methinks (see if Lufia's super-speedyness has speeded up at all with sound on and likewise Earthbound). Thanks for the release Yoyo - sorry to hear you don't have so much time these days to work on it :(.

I wonder if anyone else'd be able or willing to do a bit of ASM mixing code... doubt it, but hey.

Very very glad to hear CT still loads though, despite transparencies and the suggested 3Mb rom limit. Its good to see you managed to get over that :)...

declaration posted on Aug 17 2004 at 03:40 PM said:
forget vitual money, just get a GP32x paypal account which people can donate to and do it that way.

otherwise people would promise money but then not payup once the product has been released.
Well, the problem about that is that people would have to donate without knowing if there will actually be a coder who continues the work... hard to think.

But I'd think that at least 80-90% would keep the "promise" they made when signing up at the webite...

Last edited:
i can only play at 140mhz ... so ijust play without sound, and the speed improvement is really great. Almost everygame which i tested run at 40 to 60 Fps at FS0 this wasnt possible on the old releases..
just mariokart is still a bit slow with fs 0 :) but still icool to see a smoooooth 50Fps link running around Hyrule ;)

THANKS YOYO for this great RELEASE!!!

Ok as far as I can tell this is already head and shoulders above the old release as a couple of problems I had with games are now fixed :

Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Mario Kart had strange sprite prioritising problems...ie some background sprites would overlap the main characters on SF2 (ie fire extinguisher in Russia) and when overtaking someone on Mario Kart they used to overlap you as if you were in front of them already...weird

fixed now...so sweet!!!!

whoops my bad, my friend had put on fast sprite mode on the old thing and I never noticed.... :rolleyes:

WOW AMAZING!! Thanks alot!!

now just switch from c mixing for the sound to asm and i love you for eternity :)

Julius posted on Aug 17 2004 at 03:51 PM said:
Arch posted on Aug 17 2004 at 03:20 PM said:
is mario kart playable at full speed without sound?
Over here it runs at about 7fps with sound and 14fps without @166Mhz.

My oppinion about the 0.3 release after some more testing:

I can see some speed improvements without sound, but to be honest most the games I played ran at fullspeed without sound already on 0.2, so this realease doesn't make much of a difference.
Well it is a great realease from a programmers point of view, but from a gamers point of view it doesn't change much.
It promises a lot though, thx yoyofr ;)
Yeah, it is kind of dissapointing considering how great the version he did for the Zodiac is. Also since Yoyo doesn't have time to do it anymore I wonder if this version will ever be improved on at all. I am sorry but playing an emu , ANY emu, without sound just plain sucks in my opinion, so that improvement is not very exiting to me. Especially the SNES where the sound was half of the experience as it was so good. I am really suprised that an ASM core didn't make that much difference, I wonder why? The ASM upgrade to Fgen was stunning. It is still better than the old one so thanks for that.

lizard808uk posted on Aug 17 2004 at 01:33 PM said:
What hack settings/backgrounds should I use for the Chrono Trigger domes, does the new transparency hack make it better?

EDIT: Yes it does! :D
Really!? how so!? is chrono more playable now?

Theres a new transparency hack which I just tested now (number 4) and you can play and still get to the menu screen ok. (I only tested the southern dome, can't think of its name)

DaveC posted on Aug 17 2004 at 05:47 PM said:
I am sorry but playing an emu , ANY emu, without sound just plain sucks in my opinion, so that improvement is not very exiting to me.
Complete opposite to me. I have almost never played any handheld with sound on. Just never saw the need and it's always "never a good time", if you know what I mean. Couldn't care less about sound updates. Anyway, this release is nearly perfect as far as I can see. More speed never hurt anybody though :p

Does the new version reject the [game].cfg and the os9xgp.cfg fro anyone else?

I gotta work out my button layouts again!

Back