Original Quake Mods?

Trip

Sorry, but I suck at explaining stuff :P
Website
ubuntufs.wordpress.com
Even though I knew about the version of quake bieng ported to the GP2X, it never occured to me that the original mods could be used too.
Until I read this forum post by Julius.

I owned the original Quake but for some reason that I can't remember, I never installed any mods or extra levels with it (except for the official one's).
What were the best mods & levels for the original Quake?
Not including the official upgrade cd's etc. bought from shops (aftershock I think was one of them).

1.. Would I be wrong in thinking that any extra levels for the original Quake would work straight away with the GP2X port, no changes needed?

2.. How hard would it be to port some of the better mods?

Any info would be cool as usual thanx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some mods will play fine without any problems, but others will crash for various reasons (sometimes lack of memory, sometimes other strange reasons). I'm hoping that once I solve the remaining bugs in Quake then more mods will start working better. One thing you have to remember though - most mods were created quite a while after Quake was originally released and so they were created for more powerful machines than the original game. The vast majority of mods you will find will run much slower than the original levels on the gp2x, and in a lot of cases it will make the mod unplayable.

Cheers for the quick response woogal.
Think i'll dig out my Quake discs & run though them to try & find some extras for testing.

Nice work with the port by the way, from what I hear it's great :D.

***EDIT***
Might as well start listing interesting mods here (not sure which will work or not):

AirQuake is a total conversion project that puts u inside a plane. Nice original use of the Quake engine.
Supports the original version plus the GL update (so the site says!).
The authors not aware of any bugs in the mod & it could probably be expanded & updated quite a bit if the mod can be ported. Would be a great game in itself for the GP2X by the look of the screen shots.
Can't find any minimum machine specs to run it though, so it probably uses the original Quake one's.

***EDIT2***
Minion is the battle chess game with a little strategy and a heap of action. Become one of ten morphs and fight clever monster bots. Use magic, weapons, and your brain all in one game.
The site also seems to have some good tutorials for QuakeC too.

***EDIT3***
Quake Rally. Havin trouble finding more info on this one but I've heard good things about it for years. The one player games supposed to be a lot of fun.

That should be enough for now I think ;)
Of course I can't leave the topic before mentioning MauveBib's mods at his home page Here!.

Here's some highlights:
Cannon Fodder Quake - War has never been so much fun! Based on the 1993 classic.

StarShip Troopers : Rival Species - A single player strategy game for Quake, based on the blockbuster movie.

Defeat In Detail - A real time strategy game for Quake.

Mandible - This is a crazy fight against flying, breeding armdroids.

The New War - A partial conversion which replaces all weapons, adds new monsters & improves monster AI.

Demon Tag Bots - Based on Iikka Keranen's Demon Tag, but with bots!.

I've had conversations with MauveBib before as he's very active extending & modding Nexuiz. Good bloke & very helpful. If anyone wants to try & port any of these then i'm sure he'd be up for letting them. Don't expect him to do it all for u though as he's very busy :D

Back